cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chama NM, Durango CO, or Pagosa Springs CO

jonrjen
Explorer
Explorer
I have a period of between a week and a half to two weeks to take a break. We are located in the Dallas, TX area and the heat has been pretty rough this last week. We are ready to move on to somewhere cooler for a bit.

Other then cooler temps some nice scenery would be welcome. A nice selection of various places to sample local food, a few nice day trips to explore is always a welcome way to spend time.

Of the three locations above which would be the better choice to choose? Any recommendations on a campground/resort to stay?

FWIW: 2 adults, no kids, no pets, AARP carrying card members, 40' 5th wheel in tow.

So please chime in and educate us with your knowledge of the area.
2013 Wildcat 353LS (on of the few out there)
2013 Ford SHO
2013 F350 FX4 CC PSD
Good Sam Roadside Assistance (it's a good thing to have):B
15 REPLIES 15

jonrjen
Explorer
Explorer
Great feedback and suggestions. I thank you all very much.
2013 Wildcat 353LS (on of the few out there)
2013 Ford SHO
2013 F350 FX4 CC PSD
Good Sam Roadside Assistance (it's a good thing to have):B

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking of cool, here's something to make you Texans suffering in the heat just die: It was a 37 degrees this morning in Angel Fire.

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

Captain_Happy
Explorer
Explorer
While in Durango, don't miss the famous Bar D Wrangler supper/western music show.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
jonrjen wrote:
I have a period of between a week and a half to two weeks to take a break. We are located in the Dallas, TX area and the heat has been pretty rough this last week. We are ready to move on to somewhere cooler for a bit.

Other then cooler temps some nice scenery would be welcome. A nice selection of various places to sample local food, a few nice day trips to explore is always a welcome way to spend time.

Of the three locations above which would be the better choice to choose? Any recommendations on a campground/resort to stay?

FWIW: 2 adults, no kids, no pets, AARP carrying card members, 40' 5th wheel in tow.

So please chime in and educate us with your knowledge of the area.

If just cooler use the Temperature Map and get to where you feel comfortable if looking to enjoy the time get some real elevation - Leadville and 10,000' is always just what the Doctor ordered when we need to really cool down - Cooler days - Lot's to explore - Crisp nights - and some pretty good food (Quincy's)

Just depends on what you are after and how far you are willing to go.

BOL,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
You might also consider Ruidoso, New Mexico. The whole town is from Texas - so it seems. ๐Ÿ™‚ The temps are great.

I agree. No need to go to Colorado for cooler weather.
We left Ruidoso on Monday after a week stay.
Every camper there was from Texas to escape the heat.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Checkout Cloudcroft NM. Same distance as Ruidosa and about 1000 ft higher. Temps are high 72 to low 50s. Easy drive from Dallas area were I also live.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You might also consider Ruidoso, New Mexico. The whole town is from Texas - so it seems. ๐Ÿ™‚ The temps are great.

Of the three you mentioned, Pagosa Springs is our favorite because we do enjoy the springs, hiking and fishing. It's a small town.

Durango itself is not a favorite because it is hot there and crowded. Now with the mine spill, we would not be in the river even if they're saying it's o.k. Perhaps next year....

Chama is too small of a town.

Durango is hot but if you move up in elevation to Silverton - that's an ideal place to stay for coolness and a fun western town.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Fun Valley at South Fork just east of Pagosa Springs.
pawatt

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with all the above. But another option is South Fork, about 10 miles east of Wolf Creek pass. A number of private RV parks as well as NFS campgrounds in the area. Easy day trips to Creede, Lake City, Great Sand Dunes NP, float trips on Rio Grande, and also access to the Cumbres & Toltec steam RR at Antonito south of Alamosa.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
AJBert wrote:
Just an FYI on the Animas river, I've yet to hear that the water has been deemed safe. All of the folks that live along/receive water from the Animas are trying to get by on bottled water. Irrigation has been shut down also. If you head that way try to call and find out about the water situation.

Those with private wells fronting the river may be using bottled water, but any water source away from the river hasn't been affected. Based on water quality tests, Durango is free to use Animas River water in its water system. The metal levels are back to what they were before the spill.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
Just an FYI on the Animas river, I've yet to hear that the water has been deemed safe. All of the folks that live along/receive water from the Animas are trying to get by on bottled water. Irrigation has been shut down also. If you head that way try to call and find out about the water situation.

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
For quiet relaxation; Chama (Rio Chama CG)

For things to do; Durango (Any of the parks on the Silverton Highway)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Bunch of variables. You're not looking for kid activities, so exclude that kind of stuff. Your time is somewhat limited, given that it's about a two-day drive from your area to the region, so four days of driving total.

Personally, I'd do a combination of Chama and Pagosa. Stay in Chama, do the train ride, chill out at the river. Drive up to Pagosa for a day trip or two and soak in the springs.

Here's a smidgen of elevation info for you:

Chama 7,871 ft
Pagosa 7,126 ft
Durango: 6,512 ft

Lynn

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with what 4runnerguy says, however if you like peace and quiet and enjoy fishing in a river Chama has a great RV campground at Sky Mountain Resort. They have many different sized sites with shade and some that are next to the Rio Chama river. The owners and very helpful and friendly. There is also some very pretty scenery around the mountains in northern New Mexico and a short drive into southern Colorado. We spent a week there in 2011 and plan to go back.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss