cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheap camping in Colorado!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
For 2019, I have again updated my "Free RV Campsites in the Colorado Mountains" blog. The blog follows the U.S. highways (not I-70 or most state highways) through the Colorado Rockies.

I recommend free and low-cost campsites, boondocking-dispersed camping locations, and not-to- miss sightseeing opportunitites. For example, these routes include U.S 550 through the San Juans between Montrose and Durango, U.S. 285 through the rafting mecca along the upper Arkansas River, and U.S. 160 to Great Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde National Parks. So, take a look if you are planning an RV trip to, or through, Colorado this summer. And have a great vacation!

The blog can be found HERE.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel
29 REPLIES 29

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Summer officially begins on Thursday, but we have had only a couple of days in the 80's so far. Still raining in the Denver area and A-Basin Ski Area just announced they are staying open until at least June 30. So, pack some warm clothes if you are camping in the Colorado Rockies soon.

Snowpack is melting slowly this year, but Lake City now appears to be out of major flood danger. I would be very cautious about boondocking, or even designated campground camping, in the floodplain of any Colorado mountain stream until mid-July.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
Spring has arrived! My back yard in a SW Denver suburb on May 21, 2019:

Just type width=720 to bring it back just before jpg.

Love the White Blossoms - they rival the Cherry Blossoms here in DC. .:)
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, image size was just a bit large.

BTW, some areas of the Palmer Divide-Black Forest ridge along I-25 between Denver and Colorado Sprigs got 19" of new snow last night!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Spring has arrived! My back yard in a SW Denver suburb on May 21, 2019:

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I spoke too soon. On Monday and Tuesday of this week, 10 to 20 inches of new snow are expected to fall all across the Colorado Rockies, with the highest amounts along the Sawatch Range (Leadville to Salida) and in the San Juans of SW Colorado. Even Denver may see a little snow on Tuesday.

And it is now doubtful that Trail Ridge Road in RMNP will be open for Memorial Day weekend. A photo in the Denver Post showed snow drifts still completely burying the visitors center near the top of the pass.

So, summer may be on hold for a while yet in the mountains!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
I think spring has finally arrived! We have had several 80 degree days along the Front Range and the mountain snow is beginning to melt. Only 1 ski area is still open and the trout fishing is really picking up in those streams that are not too muddied from runoff. We have to see if the NPS can get Trail Ridge open by the Friday before Memorial Day.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
It snowed all night and is still snowing in Denver this morning. The San Juans are getting 10-20" of new snow today on top of the existing snowpack. And more is predicted for the middle of next week.

So, even though most trees here have their leaves, spring has not entirely arrived, even at the lower elevations (it's all relative, "lower" being 5,000-6,000' above sea level). That means we should be in for a late runoff and a summer of steady river flows.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
The NPS announced that they have started plowing the snow off Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park this week. They hope to have it completed by Memorial Day weekend, but spring storms and 22-foot drifts sometimes slow them down a bit.

Maybe they'll have better luck this year!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning to fish during your Colorado visit this summer, CPW has a new tool to help you land a trophy fish. It is an interactive version of the Colorado Fishing Atlas that allows you to choose a family-friendly or more remote fly-fishing location. Then you click on that location to see what species are available, the bag limits for each species, and the relative abundance of each species based on the most recent fish sampling completed by CPW. This tool will give you plenty the time before your trip to outfit yourself with the proper equipment to catch that giant brown trout or northern pike!

This wonderful new tool to help plan your limited summer vacation time around potentially productive fishing areas can be found HERE. Have fun with it--I have been!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning to camp or 4-wheel along US 550 this summer, be aware of the area of the 2018 "416 Fire". The burned area is north of Durango and west of US 550. A Forest Service Closure Order is in effect until May 1, 2019, but could be extended. You can view the Closure Order for the fire area at HERE.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
For those planning to camp along US 160 near Great Sand Dunes National Park, the 2018 Spring Creek Fire burned more than 100,000 acres on both sides of the highway. The fire burned from the area near Pass Creek Pass on the north to Cuchara on the south and included all of the La Veta Pass-North La Veta Pass area. The fire may affect the 2019 route and schedule of the Rio Grande Scenic Railroad and its summer concert series as some of the railroad right of way and the summer concert venue burned.

So, make your summer plans to include GSDNP, which was not in the fire area. But check the websites for other activities and campsites that you may have planned in the Alamosa, Ft. Garland, and La Veta-Cuchara areas.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
LOVED New Mexico's SP's!
Agree. Last month we decided to wait out a Colorado snowstorm while returning from snowbirding in Tucson. Spent $54 for three nights in a FHU Caballo Lake SP campsite, without any reservation. And that amount included the daily vehicle pass for our truck!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've booked multiple (weekend) stays this year at Colorado State Parks. $72 total for Golden Gate Canyon SP and State Forest SP/Ranger Lakes, but $58 for Jackson Lake SP. I also buy the annual pass.

Compare that to the remainder of my reservations which are in RMNP or at USFS CG (some of which offer electricity) and cost me $26-$30 (not sure why the cost difference at some locations). This is, of course, with the Geezer Pass which gets me half price on USFS as well as RMNP CGs.

Although I don't like that much of a price difference, I'll continue to support the Colorado State Park system. Still beats commercial "parks" here in northern Colorado.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
gkainz gets it. So do other people that live around CO. Great place to wander around and find new spots. I lived there for 5 years and can't remember ever staying in a State Park. I avoided RMNP after one visit. Too many other places that are free with no one around.