cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheap camping in Colorado!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
For 2019, I have again updated my "Free RV Campsites in the Colorado Mountains" blog. The blog follows the U.S. highways (not I-70 or most state highways) through the Colorado Rockies.

I recommend free and low-cost campsites, boondocking-dispersed camping locations, and not-to- miss sightseeing opportunitites. For example, these routes include U.S 550 through the San Juans between Montrose and Durango, U.S. 285 through the rafting mecca along the upper Arkansas River, and U.S. 160 to Great Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde National Parks. So, take a look if you are planning an RV trip to, or through, Colorado this summer. And have a great vacation!

The blog can be found HERE.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel
29 REPLIES 29

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
tragusa3 wrote:
Think of Colorado from the perspective of a tourist passing through for only a few days. Buying the annual pass and the high prices combine to rule out State Parks for us. Michigan was the same way (as are others I'm sure).

LOVED New Mexico's SP's!

Pa is also the same way, but no annual or other pass is required.
The cost structure is archaic.

Campsite $15.00 Resident, $20,00 Non Resident.

Then start adding.

Fri/Sat/Holiday/Event Add $4.00

Modern Campground - Definition; has showers. You pay if used or not. Add $4.00

Adirondack Shelter on the site - Pay if you use or not - Add $2.00

Electricity - Add $7.00

Water and Sewer - Add $13.00

Designated Pet site - Pay if you have pet or not - Add $2.00

Extra Vehicle? - Add $5.00

Total $52.00 per night, weekend, with extra car and FHU's. BTW the limited FHU sites are most always located in a designated pet section.

Don't forget to add the $6.50 reservation fee.

To top it off any money received gets dumped into the general fund in Harrisburg, and wasted by the elected criminals on their pet peeve projects. The DCNR is then handed back X amount as a yearly budget appropriation for operation, which is never enough to even begin to cover the operating costs. Add to that the idiotic management of the parks by the DCNR. They'll spend a million to add FHU's to a dozen sites in a single park, but at the same time let existing 45+ yr old substandard electric remain as is, 1960's shower houses / restrooms to sit and rot, and roads that are crumbling remain that way for years. The whole system operates on the good ole boy I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine business model in PA, and is further robbed by the unions every time a contract is awarded.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Think of Colorado from the perspective of a tourist passing through for only a few days. Buying the annual pass and the high prices combine to rule out State Parks for us. Michigan was the same way (as are others I'm sure).

LOVED New Mexico's SP's!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
JAC1982 wrote:
I'll gladly pay higher prices and make reservations if it means that the parks can stay open and remain well kept.
I agree to a point, but what if CPW prices SP camping out of the reach of a lot of state residents? Are they in business just to serve out-of-state tourists? And they are facing more competition as the Forest Service adds electric hookups and flush toilets to more of their campgrounds, but charges less than CPW for those sites.

We have already lost San Luis Lakes, Bonny Lake, and Julesburg/Jumbo Reservoir as state parks in the last few years. What's next? Maybe Vega, Mancos, or North Sterling?

BTW, we love the state parks and have purchased annual state park passes for many years. But we are seriously considering skipping it this year.

What I keep wondering is why FHU sites at New Mexico SPs can still be $18/night and partial hookup sites are $14/night?

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I'll gladly pay higher prices and make reservations if it means that the parks can stay open and remain well kept. Also, due to our size, we have to make reservations pretty much anywhere anyway. Last thing we want to do is show up somewhere and find there's nowhere we can fit. My dream one day is to have a small travel trailer or truck camper in addition to our current rig, just for local shorter trips so we can utilize more of the lovely places on fanrgs's blog.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
tragusa3 wrote:
Sounds like a good state to get off the grid in!
Exactly the point of this thread, my last post, and my blog!

And the point of my comment! ๐Ÿ™‚ Although, if they keep raising prices, we may find the boondocking treasures to be full as well.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
someone posted years ago on one of these threads

"There is no boondock camping in Colorado" ... ๐Ÿ™‚

and still makes me chuckle.

I drive until I lose cell signal, then go 5 miles further before looking for my camp site. ๐Ÿ™‚
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Exactly the point of this thread, my last post, and my blog!

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
re: fees increase ... good grief ... shaking my head
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
If you are planning to stay at Colorado state parks this summer, note that camping fee and reservation requirements changed on January 1, 2019. Reservations are now REQUIRED for camping at nearly every state park, but can be made on the day of arrival (assuming anything is available).

Camping fees have increased considerably, but the reservation fee has been dropped if you reserve through the state parks website, not ReserveAmerica. For example, a full-hookup RV site at Cherry Creek State Park is now $41/night, plus a $10/day park pass. And Chatfield, Golden Gate Canyon, Cheyenne Mountain, Mueller, and other popular parks along the Front Range are nearly that much for W/E and even electric-only sites.

Bottom line: if you want to camp in Colorado state parks, plan ahead, make reservations, and bring lots of money!

Go HERE to see the fee changes from 2018 to 2019.

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
Once you live in the West and figure out public lands, you do not need a blog, a map or directions. Just get out there.
True, but a great number of people reading this blog have never lived in the West. And some have never even been to the West. So this blog is for those RVers.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! Subscribed!

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, nicely done. Thanks for sharing

welove2drive
Explorer
Explorer
That is a very informative blog. I will use this for our next trip. We camped a few nights in Whitestar at Twin Lakes. We had site 10. What a beautiful area. Thank you for the link to your blog.
Dave and Marcia
2019 Ford F350 Dually
2013 Lifestyle LS34SB

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once you live in the West and figure out public lands, you do not need a blog, a map or directions. Just get out there.