cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chicago area

bigblueok
Explorer
Explorer
Traveling from OK and thinking of visiting Chicago on the way to Michigan. Can someone recommend a nearby campground for a 37 ft fifth wheel? Also some advice regarding routes . Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, grew up 40 miles west of Chicago and live in The Big Windy then for 4 1/2 years. I have no desire to go back there now; too many great places to see. And no place close for an RV so commuting to say you have been there is just not worth it.

Agree with rockhillmanor - add it to WI (or anyplace).
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

Tjuice
Explorer
Explorer
If you do stay at the Dunes and want to eat dinner at a restaurant, well let's just say your options will be limited...

Also the train ride to downtown Chicago will take around 1 hour and 20-30 minutes.

C-Bears
Explorer
Explorer
You can probably find a CG northwest of Chicago and take the Metra into the city. There is no way I would want to drive a 1 ton or any large truck downtown. There are a lot of toll roads around the city and traffic congestion. In addition, there are areas you do not want to get lost in.
2014 Montana 3725RL (Goodyear G614 Tires, Flow Thru TPMS)

SPENDING THE WINTERS AT OUR HOME IN SW FLORIDA. THE REST OF THE YEAR SEEING THE U.S. FROM OUR LIVING ROOM WINDOW!

bigblueok
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much. Lots of good advice ๐Ÿ™‚

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you're coming from the south and heading to Michigan, look into reserving a site at Indiana Dunes State Park (not the National Lakeshore) in Chesterton, IN. Very nice CG with electric hookups, showers, dump station, etc. It is quite popular, so you don't want to just chance it for a site, especially on weekends.

There is a commuter rail station within a mile or two of the campground, which you could take into the city. Chicago is quite walkable, plus there are buses, water taxis, and I believe in summertime even a free trolley (which is usually too full to get on, but anyway) to get around with. (And taxis too, should it come to that.) No worries about parking if you visit that way, and you can see some of the major things in a few days. I suggest the museum complex (Field Museum of Natural History, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium), the Art Institute, Navy Pier and its huge ferris wheel, and just walking around Grant Park and enjoying the lakeshore & city skyline. Oh yes, there's the Bean too (just ask about it). You can't possibly see all of those in one day, but whatever suits your interests among them.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
Yep nothing close. I was searching the other day for Chicago area campgrounds and was disappointed. DS has a college tour scheduled at University of Chicago later this month and we wanted to stay over the night before in the TT. Now I think we'll have to stay in a hotel.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Search this Forum in the RV parks section for `Chicago' and prepare to be disappointed.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
bigblueok wrote:
Traveling from OK and thinking of visiting Chicago on the way to Michigan. Can someone recommend a nearby campground for a 37 ft fifth wheel? Also some advice regarding routes . Thanks

I am from Chicago and unless you like to visit museums and/or planetariums there really is not much to see in Chicago!

Also no close CG's, can't take FW downtown AND the big problem is trucks are not allowed on MANY streets including LSD. Nor can you park a truck on the streets. Parking lots charge 100.00 a day for vans and trucks. Yup, been there done that with my van one time.:R

So all in all it will NOT be a fun trip just trying to figure out how you are going to 'get' downtown! :W

Wisconsin. Take the time you allowed for the trip to Chicago and add it to Wisconsin. Plenty to do and see there and tons of CG's for your RV.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Search 'Camping in Chicago' and you will find some posts from last year.
Bill and Joey the dog

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest that you tour Michigan first, including driving through the Upper Peninsula and down into Wisconsin. Then get a feel if you still want to do Chicago or even have the time for it.

It would be ideal if you could find a park by public transportation so you don't have to drive into Chicago. Also, at least the first day, take a small van tour of the city. Those kinds of tours really give you the highlights and you can then get your bearings as to where things are if you want to go alone on future days. We loved doing San Francisco that way. Trying to see a big city in a day or two on your own is usually wasted time.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Chicago Northwest KOA is pretty nice.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/chicago/
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan