cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chicago to Austin

spindrift
Explorer
Explorer
Posting for my son here. They're currently in Chicago and leaving for home tomorrow (Austin, TX). He asked me what they should see on the way home. Trying to keep him on as much a straight line as possible, I suggested the Ozarks. They've already been through Nashville. They're in a tent and don't have a lot of time to take anything but a fairly direct route. I know this is a really, really broad question but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks.
'12 F350 KR CC DRW, with some stuff.
Redwood 36FL
3 REPLIES 3

1971duster340
Explorer
Explorer
Rt66...Prison in Joliet where they cut Jake Blue's loose, Lincoln Museum, Lincoln House, Ted Drewes frozen custard St. Louis, Lamberts Restaurant Sikeston and Branson MO, Hot Springs AR. Stop at the state lines welcome centers.
Greg
N5LFH
2007 Chariot

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
St Louis is right on the way. Cards game, Grant's Farm, and a few state parks are an hour away (either side of river). Meramac caverns (I've driven by but never been there)

Lake of the Ozarks in central MO

Springfield, Branson MO and Silver Dollar City.

KC, nice camp lake N of town, Smithville Lake, 30 minute drive. Arthur Bryant's BBQ.

Lake Arcadia Edmond OK camping. 20 minutes to OKC

Lake Texhoma or Lake Murray (S of Ardmore).

Wichita Mtns in Lawton Okla. Campsite + Buffalo. Meers store burgers.

DFW, too much to list, several lakes and campgrounds.

All of this is on the way (more or less)
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ozarks are a good suggestion. Land Between the Lakes (KY/TN) is a great place too - a farther-east alternative to the Ozarks, with some very nice (and popular) CGs. With a tent they'll have some flexibility in sites, which is helpful. St. Louis's arch & zoo are terrific; Graceland in Memphis is a kick. Just a few ideas. Wherever they go, it's likely to be hot.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375