cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cimarron Canyon NM: mosquitos?

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to spend a few days in Cimarron Canyon this summer, sometime between mid-June and early August. Are there any pesky bugs worth noting, like mosquitoes? Red ants? I might tent (for a change) on this trip.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point
7 REPLIES 7

sclark
Explorer
Explorer
You will have no problems with those pests
2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Cummins Aisin transmission
2014 KZ 358BHK
Honda eu3000is Generator

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
That's great, thanks!
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass

Dave_s_Wife
Explorer
Explorer
We have spent 4 summers in Eagle Nest, 5 counting this year. Have not had much trouble with the mosquitoes.
Dave's Wife
2003 29 ft. Holiday Rambler Alumascape 5th wheel
'03 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Dave & Me

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Mosquitos depend on standing water. I have had them swarming me in the summer there. I have also been there and never thought about mosquitos. I had my mosquito spray in each instance.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that. I'd better make sure I have Deet to keep the ticks at bay. I hate those bloodsuckers.
Mike G.

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
Hasn't anyone been to the Cimarron Canyon SP area in NM? Eagle's Nest? Red River isn't far from there, and I know that's a popular destination.
We have been to all of those a number of times, but not during the time frame you asked about. We are generally there in late August/early September as the monsoon season is winding down and the summer season rentals are ending. Daytime temps are around 70. There can be frost at night. Often an afternoon thundershower. I don't recall any serious bug problems, although ticks are still active in the grassy areas and forest on warm sunny days.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Hasn't anyone been to the Cimarron Canyon SP area in NM? Eagle's Nest? Red River isn't far from there, and I know that's a popular destination.
Mike G.