cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coastal Southern Maine or New Hamphire Campgrounds

NY_RVer
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone recommend a quiet campground along the coast of Maine or New Hampshire to spend a few days? Would prefer full hook ups if possible, and/ or oceanfront. It will be just my wife and I, so do not need all the usual campground activities. We were originally looking to spend a few days in Cape Cod, but after calling many campgrounds, found that it is extremely busy right now even during the week, and that is what we are trying to avoid.
2016 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7 Cummins
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
Reese Dual Cam
20 REPLIES 20

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
If you want fall colors you need to wait a bit... peak foliage along the coast tends to be right around Columbus Day, which also happens to be the date many places up here close shop for the season, so plan accordingly! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Mike__Rose
Explorer
Explorer
Megunticut in Camden Hills has full hook up and a deck overlooking the ocean. We stayed there a few years ago and loved it. Then it was bought by new owners so not sure if it is the same. The view is awesome.
See you on the road!

livelylittlecam
Explorer
Explorer
We just spent 4 days at Moorings in Belfast and loved it. The Oceanfront sites have stunning views.

Here is a photo essay with pictures of the campground and downtown Belfast.

blog.jayco.com

pickerel_cove
Explorer
Explorer
fwed wrote:
Haven't stayed at Wild Duch (too close to home), but visited there and was impressed.

Second the motion on Chewonki in Wiscasset. Nice place and a good quiet area.

Our favorite: Saltwater Farm in Thomaston (technically just over the line into Cushing). Small, very quiet, and we've never seen it full.

Bar Harbor area: KOA Woodside. Get a spot out in the back for a nice grassy site.

Fred.

We're going to Saltwater Farm in a couple of days. Was happy to see that it gets good grades here.

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
We've been up and down the Maine coast many times and our "favoritest" campground is Lobster Buoy Campsites in South Thomaston, ME, a few miles south of Rockland.

If you want peaceful AND on the water, Lobster Buoy is the place. In fact, I'm writing this from site 19, right at the water's edge. It's an older campground, but well-maintained. Water and electric hookups, but only a dump station. It's a great place for kayaking.

To top it off, it's only a short walk to Watermans Beach Lobster Stand for the very best lobster roll in Maine - served in a warm round bun.

Have a great trip!
Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

shaz60
Explorer
Explorer
A third vote for Chewonki. We stayed last year and our site (believe it was 26?) was the most beautiful setting we've ever stayed. Very quiet and no activities or facilities except for a salt water pool.
Me - lifelong camper
DH - camper by marriage
7 kids, 5 grandkids, 2 camping dogs
2010 Jayco 23J

fwed
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't stayed at Wild Duch (too close to home), but visited there and was impressed.

Second the motion on Chewonki in Wiscasset. Nice place and a good quiet area.

Our favorite: Saltwater Farm in Thomaston (technically just over the line into Cushing). Small, very quiet, and we've never seen it full.

Bar Harbor area: KOA Woodside. Get a spot out in the back for a nice grassy site.

Fred.

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I am leaving the day after Labor Day for the coast of Maine and have asked for the same thing you are looking for. I have stayed at Wild Duck before and will make that my first night's stop. Then, on to Lobster Buoy Campsites in South Thomaston, the Moorings in Belfast and then Blackwoods in Acadia (no hookups). Then up to Harrington, Sunset Point. I had a very nice stay there a couple of years ago. Really looking forward to Cobscook Bay State Park, but again, no hookups. I like camping the old fashioned way, although I graduated from a tent when I hit 40. I'm told that after Labor Day you don't need reservations, and things are quiet up there. I'll be celebrating my retirement after 30 years of teaching elementary school so I'm really looking forward to this trip!
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

quoyfab
Explorer
Explorer
Sagadahoc Bay CG Georgetown, Me (near Bath) and the Moorings in Belfast, Me. Both have dump stations, which is common for lakeside or oceanfront camping. We visit each once or twice a summer. Of the 2, I prefer Moorings.

klm
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed our stay near Belfast, ME at The Moorings. It might be further north, but it is right on the water (no sewer - but dump station and a free pump out if you stay 1 week). Small cg, most sites have view - something to consider. We have used Wild Ducks and The Bluffs - all good options. If you wait for fall colors - consider visiting Acadia NP - well worth a visit anytime
'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

NY_RVer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone; I will look into all the suggestions. That was a good point about the week before Labor Day being busier than usual. The more I think about it, may be worth waiting for some fall colors to head up that way.
2016 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.7 Cummins
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE
Reese Dual Cam

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Wakeda is minutes from Hampton Beach. It is large but we were amazed at how quiet it was. Stayed last weekend for the first time.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Not on the water, but near the White Mountains in New Hampshire is The Bluffs, an adult-only campground, which is a sister campground to Danforth Bay. It's in Freedom, NH. If you want quiet your best bet is to wait until after Labor Day or try the week of 8/18. Some towns are already starting school then. The week of 8/25 heads into Labor Day and families take advantage of the extra day if school doesn't start until after Labor Day but with more schools starting prior to that you may get lucky during the week.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

lizzie
Explorer
Explorer
We are at Sunset Point in Harrington, ME right now. We have stayed here several times and like it very much. Read the reviews on RVParks Reviews for more details. It is right on a lovely cove and is clean and quiet. The owner steams lobsters every night at market cost ($7 a pound this week) and delivers it to your campsite. lizzie