cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado Trip in July

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
First off thanks for those who replied to my previous post about my trip. I have since did further research and still am just as unsure where to go. We enjoy national forest or state campgrounds and relaxing in the campsite when there and not crammed into a private RV park. Quiter places with less crowds is ideal. We have about 9 days in Colorado and tow a 34 foot TT and these are the places I'm thinking of:

Ouray\Durango- hear a lot about this place more campgrounds on the Durango side

Colorado Springs- Pikes Peak and Garden of Gods

Maybe RMNP

Aspen seems to have a lot of camping located all around and maroon bells

If you locals have some secret spots that i'm unaware of let me know or thoughts on places above.

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

linnemj
Explorer
Explorer
We also are spending a month in Colorado on our way to and from Utah this fall. I have reservations at Moraine Park Campground in RMNP, Cheyenne Mountain SP in Colorado Springs, a commercial Campground in Buena Vista, West Fork NFS Campground outside Pagosa Springs, and Haviland Lake north of Durango.

When I make reservations at the first possible times in CO state Parks and National Parks we are finding very limited site availability.

Thanks to 4Runnerguy for some great recommendations. I recommend anyone coming to Colorado review his archived posts.
Jim & Nicky
2012 Forest River XLR MBV 29
2010 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
Motorcycles!

caysea7254
Explorer
Explorer
We also will be going out to Colorado in July. We are like you like State Parks & National. Last time we vacationed in Colorado we did the west side of the state. We stayed in Ridgeway State park for a week and loved every minute! From there we did day trips to Ouray, Gunnison National Park and a few other towns nearby, then the next week to Mesa Verde National Park , Durango ect. It is beautiful and in 2 weeks we didn't get to go everywhere we wanted on that side but it was a great vacation. This year We r staying a week at Cheyenne Mountain State Park for a week and visit Colorado Spring area attractions then the next week to RMNP. cant go wrong anywhere in Colorado!! Oh and we did stay at Mueller a few days on way home from our 1st trip. Beautiful State Park. Have a great trip!! Tara ๐Ÿ™‚
Steve & Tara Smiley
2022 3500HD Sierra GMC
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
I think 4runnerguy is giving good advice. We lived in Estes Park 1995-2003 and now down here near Tucson. But we go back to CO in the summer a lot. We spend our time in the southwest part of the state. Went back to Estes twice a couple of times but now do not go back - people and the pine beetle in RMNP has taken away the beauty that loved loved, hiked in and photographed. A couple of things in CO Springs but if you want Nature and it's beauty I highly recommend the southwest part of the state. We will be there for nearly two months this summer.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
You haven't given us a specfic time and that can affect our responses, as most places don't open up until Memorial Day, and even then, snow can block access at higher elevations. Likewise, the week of July 4th is already mostly booked.

JMHO, but I find nothing enticing about Colorado Springs. Better places to spend your nine days to get a better feel of the mountains of Colorado.

You may see lots of NFS CG's up Maroon Creek, but very, very few will fit your rig and those are probably booked solid by now. If you want to be in this area, your best bets would be Difficult NFS CG east of Aspen, and the NFS CG's up the Crystal River on CO 133 above Carbondale.

The SW part of the state could take your entire nine days and you'll still just be able to see the highlights. One of the most scenic areas in the lower 48. Base out of Durango and you'll be able to visit Mesa Verde, day trip to Ouray and Telluride, and ride the Durango-Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (not to be missed!!!). As noted, if you're going in the summer, it might be challenging to get reservations at this point. Try Haviland Lake NFS CG north of Durango, you might luck out with your dates. Nice CG away from the highway on the shores of a lake. Very relaxing. The CG at Mesa Verde is huge, although getting on and off the mesa to explore other areas is time consuming. Higher up so cooler than around Durango. If everything else is full, you might also try the NFS CG at McPhee Reservoir near Dolores. Near the Anasazi Heritage Center, a very worthwhile stop.

If you want quiet, check out areas along CO 149 between Lake City and Creede. Pretty far out there and away from the crowds. Make sure you are well provisioned as you aren't near much if you camp somewhere near the upper reaches of the Rio Grande. Lots of boondocking in this area also.

If it's after mid-July, you might consider a day or two on Grand Mesa east of Grand Junction. The flowers on the west end of the mesa are worth the drive. Around 10,000' so cool, even on the hottest days of the year. Lots of lakes and gorgeous views of the San Juans. Not very bust most of the time. Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP is also quite scenic and interesting. Very dark at night for good stargazing. Nice CG.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Junction Creek Campground. A forest service campground with 50A service with water available. We filled up coming in and dumped on the way out. 4 miles up from Durango. Very treed with tall Ponderosa Pines. It is a great place to visit the area from that is not a parking lot.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
All good recommendations, but it is going to be next to impossible to get weekend reservations at any of the state or national campgrounds during the weekends. Maybe you can get something at Ridgway, but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that all the others mentioned are going to be booked out.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
agb2529 wrote:
Also in Colorado Springs area is Mueller State Park, beautiful wooded park at around 9500' elevation, about 45 minutes from Colorado Springs on the other side of Pikes Peak. We used it as a base for exploring the area, loved it. For a lesser known gem in the south part of the state, the Great Sand Dunes N.P. is amazing. We camped next to it in San Luis S.P. - upside of the state vs. national is you can get electric sites & shower facilities.

^^^^^ This. For both recommendations.

There's also Cheyenne Mountain SP, but it's extremely difficult to get reservations there and is likely already booked completely for July. Mueller is a great alternative and gaining in popularity.

As for Great Sand Dunes, there's a lot more than just climbing up/down dunes. There's some great hikes NOT in the sand, but trails in the mountains to which the dunes abutt. There's also 4x4 trails to explore if you're so inclined.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
South Mineral Campground is Federal and is three miles west of Silverton. There is a four mile dirt road into the campground but it is well maintained. They do not have hook ups but there is drinking water. There are only 26 sites. They also have toilet facilities but they have no running water. We like staying at Alpen Rose in Durango which is a 35 mile drive to Silverton. We were there last year for the month of May. It is a gorgeous area.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

scout_dad
Explorer
Explorer
Hi , we are planning on trip to RMNP at Glacier Basin in late July from what I see now all booked up. also looked into Cheyenne Mountain SP it is also booked that week.
From reviews I seen Pike Peak is tight to get in??
I stayed at Mountain Dale resort very nice, no cell service that we got, nice clean CG. I also heard good things about Diamond Campground in Woodland Park that is near Colorado Springs.
hope this helps,
have a good trip

agb2529
Explorer
Explorer
Also in Colorado Springs area is Mueller State Park, beautiful wooded park at around 9500' elevation, about 45 minutes from Colorado Springs on the other side of Pikes Peak. We used it as a base for exploring the area, loved it. For a lesser known gem in the south part of the state, the Great Sand Dunes N.P. is amazing. We camped next to it in San Luis S.P. - upside of the state vs. national is you can get electric sites & shower facilities.
The Long Grove Happy Campers -
Alex & Sandi
2003 Suburban K2500 6.0 L 3.73
2003 Dutchman 19T Sport

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
There are plenty of RV campgrounds also in Ouray as well as the Ridgeway State Park, which would fit your preference. It is not far out of Ouray.

In Colorado Springs, if you are lucky you might still be able to get a site at Cheyenne Mountain State Park, more likely for week days. It would be worth it even for a couple of days--one of the best.

As for Aspen, just be aware that you can only come in (and go out) from Glenwood Springs, you cannot go over Independence Pass over to Highway 24. We have never stayed with an RV in Aspen, but many times at Buena Vista in the Arkansas Valley. You could stay in Buena Vista and drive over to Aspen for a day with your tow vehicle.

We have gone back and forth from Buena Vista to Estes Park a good many times and for that I always recommend the route known as the "Peak to Peak" highway. I won't go into that detail here except to recommend it rather than the freeway through Denver.

Just some comments that come to mind.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
evanrem wrote:
First off thanks for those who replied to my previous post about my trip. I have since did further research and still am just as unsure where to go. We enjoy national forest or state campgrounds and relaxing in the campsite when there and not crammed into a private RV park. Quiter places with less crowds is ideal. We have about 9 days in Colorado and tow a 34 foot TT and these are the places I'm thinking of:

Ouray\Durango- hear a lot about this place more campgrounds on the Durango side

Colorado Springs- Pikes Peak and Garden of Gods

Maybe RMNP

Aspen seems to have a lot of camping located all around and maroon bells

If you locals have some secret spots that i'm unaware of let me know or thoughts on places above.

Thanks

If you are definitely considering RMNP, you'll need to make your reservations NOW for the CG inside the park. Moraine Park and Glacier Basin may be completely booked by now, particularly for weekends. If you'll only be staying during the week, you'll have a better chance. There are also USFS CG south of Estes Park along CO7/CO72 - Olive Ridge, Peaceful Valley and Camp Dick. Of the 3, I prefer Camp Dick. No hookups at any of them, but spacious sites available at Camp Dick. Again, get reservations in ASAP.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.