cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Connecticut State Parks - some closed to camping

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Well, our wonderful Connecticut state gov has decided to close some state parks for camping to save money for 2017. Most all of them are small, non-hookup parks. Just double check if you are planning any camping trips in Connecticut.

Our favorite, Macedonia Brook, is closed.

Non-definitive list of closed-to-camping state parks:

Macedonia Brook
Devil's Hopyard
Salt Rock Campground
Pachuag State Forest - Greenfalls camping area closed

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
Tvov wrote:
mdcamping wrote:
Wouldn't it be wonderful if they could upgrade the rest of our state parks like Hammonasset State Park. I have been trying off and on the past 5 years to book hammo to no avail, too much local demand...

Mike

You are trying only to get holiday weekends and/or electric hookup sites? Holiday weekends are always packed, and 3/4 of Hammo is no hookups.

Electric sites need to be booked the moment they become available, although non-holiday weekends are sometimes open.

non-electric sites are usually available throughout the year.

I go back and forth on "upgrading" the state park campgrounds. It is really nice to have hookups, but so many state parks are beautiful and inexpensive to stay at as they are. Upgrading will increase the rates, and the crowds.

As I said in my first post, Macedonia Brook has become our favorite state park for camping, and it doesn't even have bathrooms with running water! Maybe the outhouses keep people away? lol

x2 on reserving. I can generally book any non holiday weekday @ Hammo but got to reserve far in advance for weekends and holidays. The only time I ever got a spot on Beach Rd was a fluke and uhm I dinna need the electricity but still had to pay for it .

Will give Macedonia a look see this summer after we return from Indian Lake SP in NY. Where we'll have to bring in all supplies including water by boat and I'll introduce my loved ones to the joys of pit toilets. If they don't tar and feather me after this vacation I'll count my blessings more often, hehehe.

Macedonia is one of the parks that is Closed for camping this year, but I think you can still check it out. As I said, absolutely no "amenities", just wooded campsites along a brook.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
mdcamping there's a new tool that might help you over @ reserve america: email notification of cancellations and openings.

I'll have to check that out at reserve america, Thanks!

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping there's a new tool that might help you over @ reserve america: email notification of cancellations and openings.

Just realised that the campsites are closing a bit more than a month early this year:h:

"The 2016 camping season closes October 10th. The 2017 camping season extends from Friday May 26, 2017 until noon September 4, 2017."

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
Tvov wrote:
mdcamping wrote:
Wouldn't it be wonderful if they could upgrade the rest of our state parks like Hammonasset State Park. I have been trying off and on the past 5 years to book hammo to no avail, too much local demand...

Mike

You are trying only to get holiday weekends and/or electric hookup sites? Holiday weekends are always packed, and 3/4 of Hammo is no hookups.

Electric sites need to be booked the moment they become available, although non-holiday weekends are sometimes open.

I go back and forth on "upgrading" the state park campgrounds. It is really nice to have hookups, but so many state parks are beautiful and inexpensive to stay at as they are. Upgrading will increase the rates, and the crowds.

As I said in my first post, Macedonia Brook has become our favorite state park for camping, and it doesn't even have bathrooms with running water! Maybe the outhouses keep people away? lol

x2 on reserving. I can generally book any non holiday weekday @ Hammo but got to reserve far in advance for weekends and holidays. The only time I ever got a spot on Beach Rd was a fluke and uhm I dinna need the electricity but still had to pay for it .

Will give Macedonia a look see this summer after we return from Indian Lake SP in NY. Where we'll have to bring in all supplies including water by boat and I'll introduce my loved ones to the joys of pit toilets. If they don't tar and feather me after this vacation I'll count my blessings more often, hehehe.

I generally do my booking from Jan to March, we for the most part do not book holidays. Beach area campgrounds like Fishermans Memorial in RI and Salisbury Beach in MA have plenty of W/E sites which is what we look for. Would like to try Hammo just once, not enough W/E sites.

Edit:

My other small pet peeve is the campground doesn't open to almost June. We would have loved to book in early May this year, well before the schools gets out in CT.

Mike
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
mdcamping wrote:

Mike

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
NYCgrrl wrote:
Something in the air in this region at times; canna recall the last time NYS' budget was done on time:B.

You need to pay closer attention, NYCgrrl. The NYS budget was on time from 2011 thru 2016, although technically the 2015 budget was 3 hours late. This year broke the streak though, with the budget passing a week past the deadline.

You are 100% right. Maybe I was blinded by all the corruption scandals and couldn't see the forest for the trees;).Yanno, here, if it's not one thing it's got to be another.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:

Mike

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
NYCgrrl wrote:
Something in the air in this region at times; canna recall the last time NYS' budget was done on time:B.

You need to pay closer attention, NYCgrrl. The NYS budget was on time from 2011 thru 2016, although technically the 2015 budget was 3 hours late. This year broke the streak though, with the budget passing a week past the deadline.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer

Mike

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
CT will never close Hammonasset State Park - that is by far the most financially lucrative park for the state. Hammo essentially pays for most of the rest of the state parks.

Another state park you might want to look into is Rocky Neck State Park, about 30 minutes farther north on I95.

Pachaug state forest is, if I remember correctly, all tent camping sites.

A couple CT state parks have "horse camping" sites! I did not know that until a few years ago. These are areas that you ride to (no room to trailer a horse in, not sure where you would start!), can set up a tent, and there are "hitching" posts and water troughs for horses.

That would be SUICIDE to close Hammonasset; I think I read Rocky Neck is the 2nd biggest revenue maker. That reality was why I was head scratching over why they didn't remove the popular parks from the budget "pot" long ago. 'Course I canna forget the years CT went w/o funding the tourist office either but there you are. Something in the air in this region at times; canna recall the last time NYS' budget was done on time:B.

We have day-tripped @ Rocky Neck visiting camping friends who used to move from Hammo to Rocky Neck all summer long before that loophole was closed;).
Yeah, I wuvvvv CT...such a beautiful state that's close but "far".

Horse-camping in the NE?! Ga-dang...wish I was younger:).

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We had stayed at Hammonasete State park many years ago. Isn't it amazing how government runs out of money to keep up a revenue producing state park but never runs out of money for welfare.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
CT will never close Hammonasset State Park - that is by far the most financially lucrative park for the state. Hammo essentially pays for most of the rest of the state parks.

Another state park you might want to look into is Rocky Neck State Park, about 30 minutes farther north on I95.

Pachaug state forest is, if I remember correctly, all tent camping sites.

A couple CT state parks have "horse camping" sites! I did not know that until a few years ago. These are areas that you ride to (no room to trailer a horse in, not sure where you would start!), can set up a tent, and there are "hitching" posts and water troughs for horses.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Well, our wonderful Connecticut state gov has decided to close some state parks for camping to save money for 2017. Most all of them are small, non-hookup parks. Just double check if you are planning any camping trips in Connecticut.

Our favorite, Macedonia Brook, is closed.

Non-definitive list of closed-to-camping state parks:

Macedonia Brook
Devil's Hopyard
Salt Rock Campground
Pachuag State Forest - Greenfalls camping area closed

Thanks for the head's up! We decided our kiddos' trip would be in NYS this year but the peoples still want to spend some time in familiar surroundings AKA Hammo.

Devil's Hopyard was closed last year too:(.

Didn't know there was a camping ground in Pachauq but love walking there. Saw a pheasant family crossing a trail in Pachauq and was peeved I dinna get my camera out in time...think I was too amazed, LOL.

Now to run over to reserveamerica and see what's left.