cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crescent Lake, Deschutes Nat'l Forest

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone boondocked around Crescent Lake? I'm looking at the MVUM and seeing TONS of dispersed camping areas, but I would hate to show up there and not find anything. I'm towing a 33ft travel trailer. I'm just wondering if there's as much available as the map shows, and if I can get my trailer in. Thanks.
30 REPLIES 30

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
If water is a concern, Spring Campground is less than 3.5 miles by road and you will drive right past it on the way in and way out. It has potable water pressurized faucets. Since both campgrounds are managed by Hoodoo Recreation it shouldn't be an issue to fill up your totes. Check with the campground host when you get there. Dry camping is a great way to become proficient at water conservation!
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
Nice maps! If I remember right, I reserved site number 10... not directly on the water, but pretty close.

Thanks for the tip about the water! I'm going to have a couple 7 gallon totes with me, I will fill them up for the ride home! On that note though, since there isn't any water at the campground, does anyone foresee an issue with me filling up my totes to add to my water tank if i run low through the weekend? I know there's potable water at the picnic area near Crescent Lake Campground.

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
Here are two views so you can identify your campsite on the map and then see what it looks like on Google Earth.

ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
There is a hand pump well, I think on the NW side of the lake that IMO has the best tasting water you will ever find. I always fill up a couple of 5 gallon jugs when I go past there, to bring home.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
grandma lynn wrote:
Glad you got a site, it is a beautiful lake. I wanted to add to those that said call the ranger. We were suppose to camp with grandkids at a forest service campground (Crystal Lake) in Montana. Looked it up, oops says 22 feet max. I called the local ranger district office, got an awesome lady that assured me it had been upgraded and my 34ft 5'vr will fit. She told me how to get there and what kind of road conditions there were. We went and had an awesome time. I now check with the local ranger districts were ever we want to go. It is a great resource and they are familiar with the area. Camp on.

Great advice. I do plan to call when the time gets a bit closer, and hopefully glean some great info. I've never been to this area before, so it will all be new to me.

grandma_lynn
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you got a site, it is a beautiful lake. I wanted to add to those that said call the ranger. We were suppose to camp with grandkids at a forest service campground (Crystal Lake) in Montana. Looked it up, oops says 22 feet max. I called the local ranger district office, got an awesome lady that assured me it had been upgraded and my 34ft 5'vr will fit. She told me how to get there and what kind of road conditions there were. We went and had an awesome time. I now check with the local ranger districts were ever we want to go. It is a great resource and they are familiar with the area. Camp on.
full-timer in training

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
I was born and raised in MI... mosquitoes will certainly carry someone away at dusk there!

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding Waldo Lake and the mosquitos - there is a lake we camp at here in Idaho and the mosquitos are bad. We have the Off! Lanterns that we light and place around our outside area and they really work in keeping the mosquitos at bay. Sometimes, but not all, we spray Yard Guard and that helps too.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
ORbiker wrote:
It's not boondocking, but close.
Check out Waldo Lake .

Been to Waldo Lake several times. It has to have the biggest mosquito population in the north Cascades. Horrible. It's a beautiful CG and even prettier lake. But the skeeters are terrible. My wife and I have canoed on it several times. The water is some of the clearest around.

Alaska is the only place that has mosquitoes as bad as the Waldo Lake Area. But; if there is even a slight breeze, it is a fabulous place. It seems like the perfect place for the OP if conditions work out.
Find a nice open spot where the wind will blow and be careful when going into the thicker woods. I have been chased by the mosquitoes and could not stop.
You should see Waldo in the winter. So very peaceful.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
mtnbbud wrote:
I'm betting you could camp in the snowpark parking lot if you couldn't find something better. I see people camping in the snowpark parking lot by Chemult all the time throughout the summer. I'd expect the snowpark at Crescent Junction is similar. You'd jst need to make sure they don't gate the lot in the summertime.

Hay
Don't tell everyone my secret stops.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
mtnbbud wrote:
I'm betting you could camp in the snowpark parking lot if you couldn't find something better. I see people camping in the snowpark parking lot by Chemult all the time throughout the summer. I'd expect the snowpark at Crescent Junction is similar. You'd jst need to make sure they don't gate the lot in the summertime.

Never thought of that, good idea!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ORbiker wrote:
Check out Waldo Lake .

Been to Waldo Lake several times. It has to have the biggest mosquito population in the north Cascades. Horrible. It's a beautiful CG and even prettier lake. But the skeeters are terrible. My wife and I have canoed on it several times. The water is some of the clearest around.

mtnbbud
Explorer II
Explorer II

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Waldo Lake .