Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cross country road trip towing. 2nd post

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29556622.cfm

Here is my 1st post with questions for my cross country trip.

This post I would like to ask some questions concerning camping close to NYC. Still 50/50 if I will hit NYC, but if I do here's my plan.

What I want to see around NYC is the 9/11 memorial, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.

Any recommendations on a good tour company to see these 3 sites?

I see there is a RV park close to that and it's called Liberty Harbor RV park. Basically a parking lot, but that's fine for close access to what I want to see.

Thoughts on it's location and if you haved stayed there.

How easy is it to access?

Coming from the Gettysburg area, what would be the best route to avoid toll roads and ease the pain of getting to NYC?

Unless there is a good reason to hit Philadelphia before going to NYC, I plan on stopping there heading south after NYC, then on to Baltimore and D.C.

Would like some more info on Philadelphia about other campgrounds, best way to see the historical sites, etc.

I'll limit the questions at this point to those above.

Appreciate any input from the locals or anyone who have visited these area's.

I will do another post covering Baltimore and the D.C. area soon.

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry. We've never used a tour. I've seen tour company buses at Liberty Harbor so I bet the people there could arrange sightseeing tours. BTW, the staff is very helpful in providing touristy info.
If you stick with your 3 main objectives I bet you could do it on your own. Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty do not require you to even go to New York. The ferry leaves from Liberty State Park in Jersey City. When you buy your ferry tickets, you want to go to the Concourse level or the Torch. We didn't know about this the first time and were pretty much limited to looking at the Statue from the outside.
The PATH train will drop you practically right at the new Trade Center and the Memorial is nearby. We've always found New Yorkers to be very helpful in giving directions. The rudest people seem to be other tourists.
Sorry, I get carried away. NY is very exciting aand then there is the Jersey City Riverwalk and watching the lights of Manhattan come on in the evening. No matter how you do it, I'm sure you'll have a great time.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.newyorktourshuttle.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiAk4XUBRB5EiwAHBLUMfn2-DPnT_aIZNe7m2fnF6hSjW_juty9fV...

Get the basics in here. Its a long day but see all this.
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
wireman wrote:

This post I would like to ask some questions concerning camping close to NYC. Still 50/50 if I will hit NYC, but if I do here's my plan.

What I want to see around NYC is the 9/11 memorial, Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty.

I see there is a RV park close to that and it's called Liberty Harbor RV park. Basically a parking lot, but that's fine for close access to what I want to see.

Coming from the Gettysburg area, what would be the best route to avoid toll roads and ease the pain of getting to NYC?

Unless there is a good reason to hit Philadelphia before going to NYC, I plan on stopping there heading south after NYC, then on to Baltimore and D.C.

Would like some more info on Philadelphia about other campgrounds, best way to see the historical sites, etc.

Thanks

Not sure what your towing, but its not a nice ride in those areas. I lived in NJ all my life. Let us know that and we can guide you further. And whats tow vehicle?

Getting through Jersey city and that whole area is a mess.. And $95 a night is outrageous IMO...

When are you going?

I would advise staying more central Jersey or upstate NY and either making the drive into NYC or take mass transit.

Example if you stayed near central Jersey off the Rt 9 corridor a bus to NYC is about $10 bucks. Takes you right into port authority and is about 1 1/2 hour ride.

If you can get under the 11ft height restriction Cheesquake SP is your closes and best bet... 25 a night.. Right off the parkway..

Anything else once over the raritan river will be a nightmare..

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/cheesequake.html

My 1st post has my info. Linked in the 1st part of this post. Should be in NYC area mid May. Towing 27 ft. travel trailer.

I want to make this NYC part as painless as possible. Even with the cost of Liberty park campground, it seems to me to be the best bet for my 1st time to the area.

Any other info would be appreciated.

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
Here's some excellent RV information on Liberty Harbor and New York City - read all three posts.

https://wheelingit.us/?s=liberty+harbor

Thanks for the link. Pretty much what I expected.

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
Terry 25 wrote:
We've been to Liberty Harbor 4 times from Hagerstown. jfkmk has the right route from Gettysburg and it is an easy ride. Only toll is for a bridge just before Jersey City. New Jersey is a beautiful state and there certainly are better, more scenic rv parks than LH but for what you want to see I'd go to LH.
The ferry from Liberty State Park, adjacent to LH, will take you to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Liberty State Park is a short drive or a shorter bike ride from the rv park. A five block walk up Marin Blvd will take you to the Grove St PATH train which goes to the World Trade Center and the 9-11 Memorial. While you're on lower Manhattan you might visit Battery Park or take a free ride on the Staten Island Ferry. Another Grove St train will take you to 34th St and the Empire State Bldg. Endless possibilities. Enjoy.

Any thoughts on taking a guided tour to my 3 destinations?

Recommendations?

It looks like Liberty harbor is my best bet because of the location.

Just a place to lay our heads and that's fine. Probably 3 nights and 2 full days to get it done.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some excellent RV information on Liberty Harbor and New York City - read all three posts.

https://wheelingit.us/?s=liberty+harbor
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Terry_25
Explorer
Explorer
We've been to Liberty Harbor 4 times from Hagerstown. jfkmk has the right route from Gettysburg and it is an easy ride. Only toll is for a bridge just before Jersey City. New Jersey is a beautiful state and there certainly are better, more scenic rv parks than LH but for what you want to see I'd go to LH.
The ferry from Liberty State Park, adjacent to LH, will take you to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Liberty State Park is a short drive or a shorter bike ride from the rv park. A five block walk up Marin Blvd will take you to the Grove St PATH train which goes to the World Trade Center and the 9-11 Memorial. While you're on lower Manhattan you might visit Battery Park or take a free ride on the Staten Island Ferry. Another Grove St train will take you to 34th St and the Empire State Bldg. Endless possibilities. Enjoy.
2016 F-250 Gas
2015 Rockwood 2608WS

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
jfkmk wrote:
I'm with lawrosa, there are plenty of nice places in nj to stay that are much nicer than Liberty Harbor, and cheaper too! I live in western nj, just off of 78. I would take 15 out of Gettysburg to 83 (I think) to 81 to 78. It's a really easy ride.

There is a nice state park near Clinton nj called Spruce Run. Really near a park and ride where you could catch a bus into ny.

Yeah. Spruce run is nice right on the reservoir. But its a bit far. Less travel time in bus is why I suggested cheesequake. Exit 120 has a park and ride.. You'll be in NYC in 20 minutes or so.. Right next to cheesequake.

https://transitfeeds.com/p/nj-transit/409/latest/stop/17392
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with lawrosa, there are plenty of nice places in nj to stay that are much nicer than Liberty Harbor, and cheaper too! I live in western nj, just off of 78. I would take 15 out of Gettysburg to 83 (I think) to 81 to 78. It's a really easy ride.

There is a nice state park near Clinton nj called Spruce Run. Really near a park and ride where you could catch a bus into ny.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Also get into NJ as soon as you can over the Delaware memorial bridge. Get on 295 north. Take that to 195 east. No tolls until you get to garden state parkway to cheesequake.

Tolls are abot $1.50 for cars and you may hit 4 of them.

This is the best ride. Staying in PA up is a nightmare as they have bad roads as far as I am concerned.

Im right off 195 and rt 9.
Mike L ... N.J.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
wireman wrote:

Thanks

Not sure what your towing, but its not a nice ride in those areas. I lived in NJ all my life. Let us know that and we can guide you further. And whats tow vehicle?

Getting through Jersey city and that whole area is a mess.. And $95 a night is outrageous IMO...

When are you going?

I would advise staying more central Jersey or upstate NY and either making the drive into NYC or take mass transit.

Example if you stayed near central Jersey off the Rt 9 corridor a bus to NYC is about $10 bucks. Takes you right into port authority and is about 1 1/2 hour ride.

If you can get under the 11ft height restriction Cheesquake SP is your closes and best bet... 25 a night.. Right off the parkway..

Anything else once over the raritan river will be a nightmare..

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/cheesequake.html
Mike L ... N.J.