cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Custer City, SD KOA Campground

Winterwolf227
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at staying here for a week, any -experiences?
Kb,Lori,Abby and Doberman Rosie and Boxer Boaz
Portland, OR
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 Cummins, 48RE, Firestone RideRite Air Bags

2016 Creekside 23DBS
Past -
2014 Komfort Trailblazer 2610BH
2005 Starcraft Hybrid
18 REPLIES 18

soren
Explorer
Explorer
OH48Lt wrote:
soren wrote:
JoeGood988 wrote:
Stay away in August as over a million motorcycles will invade the area. Prices skyrocket everywhere, 100 mile radius.

We have been spending at least a week, or two in the Black Hills, most years, since 1994. I personally attempt to avoid being there during rally week, but to advise avoiding the entire area for a whole month is a bit extreme. As for "skyrocketing prices everywhere", um, no. Campgrounds can be expensive and full in the Sturgis area during rally week. Custer is sixty miles away, and I have never seen, or heard of any business there trying to gouge anybody based on it being rally week. With the exception of high priced lodging of all types, near Sturgis, it's been our experience that we have never seen any gouging of any sort in South Dakota, in connection with the rally. As for the claim of an excess of a million attendees this year, I'm going to take a shot at this being a bit of wishful thinking by organizers. Last year's numbers were around 400k. It seems hard to believe that that number will increase by 250%, or more, based on it being the 75th anniversary. Not only did the last milestone year (70th) only result in a small bump over the previous year, attendance overall is down by roughly a third, in the last few years, when compared to the high numbers seen in the early 2000s.

How's about $675 a night for a hotel room in Sturgis during rally week? That's what I was quoted last fall, a month after the 2014 rally. I'd call that price gouging. And they got it, no rooms available at the moment at any price, that I could find when calling around in the last week of December.

The OP asked specific questions about the CUSTER SD. KOA. This campground is 73 miles from the rally. I just looked at their online reservation service and found sites available during RALLY week, for less that $50/night, with a KOA card. As I stated, having done this for two decades now, overpriced lodging is an issue in and around Sturgis, during rally week. Other times, other locations, not a problem.

You can get a piece of grass at the Buffalo Chip or similar campground for cheap, but hope you don't like to sleep much....

I found a basic no-frills dorm-style room at a location 20 miles away. Only $400 for the week PRIOR to rally week, $700 for the week of. Those are sold out.

For a non-rally camper, I'd stay way away from there from around July 20 to after the rally in August. Things should be back to normal by then.

If you look at the daily attendance statistics, which appear in the Rapid City Journal, you will see that the rally population tends to build and fall in a real tight bell curve. The numbers build to a peak, mid-week, than drop off hard until it's a ghost town by the end of the weekend. I have dropped by vendors on Sunday afternoon and walked away with bags full of high end embroidered and dated shirts that were marked down by 75%. The streets were nearly empty, and the sellers didn't want to pack them up. You have gone from recommending that folks avoid the area for the entire month of August in your first post, to adding two weeks before the rally in this post? Seems way over the top, given that the rally doesn't really impact too much outside of the official dates, which are August 3rd to the 9th this year.

Also, the First Annual 3-wheeler rally is in Deadwood from July 16-19 I think. They aren't the camper type, but it will bring some bikers in even earlier than the "week before" crowd.

As Max from Beaver Lake CG, and others can attest, it isn't easy to make a living in the hospitality industry in the Hills. Claims that it's best to avoid the entire area for weeks, or months, due to the rally is not only inaccurate, but it doesn't help those who have a short season to make a living. IMHO, the second half of August is a great time to be in the Hills, a lot of the families have packed up to head back to school, the weather is great, and everything from campgrounds to restaurants tend to be less crowded that they are in mid-summer. This year I would avoid the area for the first ten days of August, just to stay away from all the noise and crowds, but before and after will be just fine.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not call that price gouging. I would say that is what the room is worth that particular week. There is no hotel room in the world that is the same price every night of the year.
Gouging is when I over charge for a gallon of gas or a sheet of plywood after a disaster.
A hotel room at a motorcycle rally is a luxury, not a necessity.
You cannot price gouge on a luxury!

CardinalCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I highly recommend Beaver Lake Campground nice park with long pull thrus,cable and nice owners.
Charles & Dawn
2005 Cardinal 35 CKT LX
2000 F-250 PSD 7.3 4x4 Hypertech Power Programmer III, Firestone Ride-Rite Airbags, Air Safe 25K Hitch,Yamaha 125cc Vino Scooter.

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can take a look at it here Video of KOA Custer

Same site has all the Blackhills cgs on video too: Centered on Hill City
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
JoeGood988 wrote:
Stay away in August as over a million motorcycles will invade the area. Prices skyrocket everywhere, 100 mile radius.

We have been spending at least a week, or two in the Black Hills, most years, since 1994. I personally attempt to avoid being there during rally week, but to advise avoiding the entire area for a whole month is a bit extreme. As for "skyrocketing prices everywhere", um, no. Campgrounds can be expensive and full in the Sturgis area during rally week. Custer is sixty miles away, and I have never seen, or heard of any business there trying to gouge anybody based on it being rally week. With the exception of high priced lodging of all types, near Sturgis, it's been our experience that we have never seen any gouging of any sort in South Dakota, in connection with the rally. As for the claim of an excess of a million attendees this year, I'm going to take a shot at this being a bit of wishful thinking by organizers. Last year's numbers were around 400k. It seems hard to believe that that number will increase by 250%, or more, based on it being the 75th anniversary. Not only did the last milestone year (70th) only result in a small bump over the previous year, attendance overall is down by roughly a third, in the last few years, when compared to the high numbers seen in the early 2000s.

How's about $675 a night for a hotel room in Sturgis during rally week? That's what I was quoted last fall, a month after the 2014 rally. I'd call that price gouging. And they got it, no rooms available at the moment at any price, that I could find when calling around in the last week of December.

You can get a piece of grass at the Buffalo Chip or similar campground for cheap, but hope you don't like to sleep much....

I found a basic no-frills dorm-style room at a location 20 miles away. Only $400 for the week PRIOR to rally week, $700 for the week of. Those are sold out.

For a non-rally camper, I'd stay way away from there from around July 20 to after the rally in August. Things should be back to normal by then.

Also, the First Annual 3-wheeler rally is in Deadwood from July 16-19 I think. They aren't the camper type, but it will bring some bikers in even earlier than the "week before" crowd.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

retirediaffcamp
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I will be there June 2-9 and are planning on staying at the state park CG (Game Lodge)

Winterwolf227
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everybody for the info. I am looking into the options presented. We will be in SD in late June so way before the Rally.
Kb,Lori,Abby and Doberman Rosie and Boxer Boaz
Portland, OR
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 Cummins, 48RE, Firestone RideRite Air Bags

2016 Creekside 23DBS
Past -
2014 Komfort Trailblazer 2610BH
2005 Starcraft Hybrid

soren
Explorer
Explorer
JoeGood988 wrote:

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
another recommendation for beaver lake campground. excellent rv park
max and crew go out of their way for you.

tbr2015
Explorer
Explorer
Big Pine Campground is always our choice in Custer. The owners are great!

DCS7
Explorer
Explorer
We the that thought that the Custer KOA was nice but we have a 25 ft rv. It is on a hill but the sites are also pretty close to each other. A prevost did make it in while we were staying there. It was centrally located to the sights and Custer is a cute town to walk around in. Nice brewery too.

JimandLaura
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer we had reservations at the Custer/Mt. Rushmore KOA but when we arrived we found the spot did not fit our motorhome. In fact the fire ring was right at our bottom step! And it was just dirt, no grass.

They said their other larger spots were all reserved so we ended up moving to Beaver Lake campground and LOVING it. We would definitely stay there again!

Here is a pic of our spot at Beaver Lake Campground.

2011 Mirada 29DS
Baby the Basset
Molly and Kimba the Maltese
Grizzly the Newfoundland {in spirit}

Dave_Jeanette
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are staying at Beaver Lake for the second time. Spent 2 weeks there in 2011 and plan on another 2 week stay there late August and early September. Reservations already made and confirmed.
2015 Ford F350 CC DRW 6.7L PS Diesel
2016 Grand Design Solitude 379FL

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We enjoyed a week at Custer's Gulch RV Park a couple of years ago. Would go back there again if in the area.