cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Destin, Fl area

Kentucky_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of spending about a week in the Destin area in mid October. Never been in this area. Are there things to do besides fishing, boating,shopping, eating at various restaurants, and sitting at the beach? No kids. Enjoy history, museums, theater, unique attractions, sight seeing. Or is there another city in that general area that we should look into? Any suggestions appreciated.
15 REPLIES 15

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
jspringator wrote:
garmp1 wrote:
Fort Pickens is a must. Either to camp or just to see. It's a Federal park and not as commercial as Top Sail. By that I mean it's more of a campers park, rather than a RV park.

Pickens is our choice in the area. We hate McGuires. Get seafood at Jo Patti's and cook at camp.
I would do this for a couple of days and see the museum and area. Then head to Topsail for the rest of my trip.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

brrit
Explorer
Explorer
We love staying at Camp Gulf (camp gulf.com). We get their beach sites, which put your rig's wheels right in the sand. Now, you'll be a bit crowded, but there are miles of beach to stroll down. More expensive than Topsail, but, man, we love it every year.

2006 Jayco Seneca HD 34SS

Camping with my wife and 4 kiddos
Dallas, TX

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
Fort Pickens is a must. Either to camp or just to see. It's a Federal park and not as commercial as Top Sail. By that I mean it's more of a campers park, rather than a RV park.

Pickens is our choice in the area. We hate McGuires. Get seafood at Jo Patti's and cook at camp.
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try The Breakfast Table in Destin. Great food. DW claims it's the best biscuits & gravy she's had since a child.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
FordDiesel250 wrote:
Eat breakfast at the Donut Hole!

Over rated- sit down breakfast is average but donuts are good
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
Eat breakfast at the Donut Hole!

flyfishing48
Explorer
Explorer
X2 or 3 on Ft Pickens and Naval Air Museum. Santa Rosa or Topsail would be my pick. Or Fort Pickens for part of the time.
Gloria & Tom::R
Chevy 2500 Crew Cab Duramax
Cougar 24 RDS
B&W Companion Hitch

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
The Back Porch restaurant is right on the beach with great views, their fried gulf shrimp entree is great have it every time
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
Mcguires Irish Pub
Bill and Joey the dog

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
There is a nice Air Force museum in Fort Walton Shalimar area thats worth checking out too.

We stayed at Topsail last summer for a week and enjoyed it. I was stationed at Eglin for 7 years so know the area well.

Destin is a traffic mess all the time due to being a tourist destination.

You have to plan accordingly to get somewhere because of that. It is beautiful on the Boardwalk area in Destin and nice to walk down in the evening. Plenty of restaurants and things to see and do. All the fishing boats come in and you can see them clean all the fish they catch.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
Based on your parameters, I concur stay more West, either Navarre Beach or Topsail as suggested. You'll still get beach, etc. but less touristy and more history.

Naval Aviation Museum is a don't miss. Unless it's changed, there is a great section on life in the U.S. during WW II. Ft. Pickens is also good.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Another Vote for Topsail in Santa Rosa Beach.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
I'd stay in Navarre... Less built up and touristy.