cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Devil's canyon UT

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think this map as shown on recreation.gov is wrong. I think the sites on the right side of the loop are all even numbers, and shown on the wrong side of the road.

I just spoke with a forest service gal who claims it's correct (that conversation didn't end well) and getting through to recreation.gov is near impossible. Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of this campground?

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman
19 REPLIES 19

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman wrote:
StarkNaked wrote:
At least you got a response where they say they will fix it.m.
Perhaps my post wasn't clear to you.

Yes, I believe you're correct ... post was very clear to me. No offense SN, but read that post again ๐Ÿ™‚ slowly.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
StarkNaked wrote:
At least you got a response where they say they will fix it.m.
Perhaps my post wasn't clear to you.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
At least you got a response where they say they will fix it.

The response I received (for a different problem) was "If this is incorrect information I have left you a phone number to them below so that you can let them know and they can then fix the issue."

In other words, they expect me to make the call for them.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Thank you for your input on the map. We're sorry for any inconvenience this has caused, and we'll fix it right away. You're the only one who's bothered to let us know, and we appreciate it. Thanks again."

That would be the normal response from any normal business, but that's not what we're dealing with here. What I get is 'it's not fixable', 'Recreation dot gov deals with thousands of campgrounds', 'the only error I see is...', and my personal favorite "you're the only one who's complained."

Ah, government employees, masters of excuses and buck-passing.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
tomcatphixer wrote:
Having stayed at Devils Canyon many times, #'s are right...#7 is the big pull-thru with the double tow in the satellite view.
7 is back in. The #7 you may be looking at is actually #8 (pull through). Pull throughs are even-numbered 8 - 14 on the right side of the loop. Reservation map is way wrong ( on my display) and likely will be for quite some time. Nobody responds.

tomcatphixer
Explorer
Explorer
Having stayed at Devils Canyon many times, #'s are right. #7 is the big pull-thru with the double tow in the satellite view, my usual spot for short term. Long term, Nizohni, less than an hour away and in the tall timber.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Seattle Steve wrote:
djsamuel wrote:
teejaywhy wrote:
The maps provided by Recreation.gov are just wretched.

Yes. Even when working down the campsite list on the left of recreation.gov; which highlights the location on the map on the right, it gets screwed up starting at site 14. Some sites don't even show up.

That's because not all of the sites in this park are reservable. Some are first-come. Only the reservable ones show up.

Thanks! That makes sense but it sure wasn't clear. ๐Ÿ™‚

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seattle Steve wrote:
That's because not all of the sites in this park are reservable. Some are first-come. Only the reservable ones show up.
And some of the sites are first-come, then become reservable. Some are always first come, but show a blank space on a few days, with nothing in the legend saying what that means, and you can't click on it.

Not a design I would have gone with.

Seattle_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
teejaywhy wrote:

Yes. Even when working down the campsite list on the left of recreation.gov; which highlights the location on the map on the right, it gets screwed up starting at site 14. Some sites don't even show up.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
teejaywhy wrote:

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
StarkNaked wrote:
Try this link, then scroll down to the photo section. There is a photo of the campground map sign..
Beautiful! Thanks. And the other link too.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also, you can check out the site photos.

Once again, it looks like you are correct, and the map is wrong.

Campsite photos

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
First off - The "new" recreation.gov maps are a joke. Usually fairly worthless. It's pure luck if they even follow the roads in the campground.

Try this link, then scroll down to the photo section. There is a photo of the campground map sign.

Devil's Canyon

Looks like you are correct that the map is wrong.