cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DH dreading 2019 trip to Yellowstone.

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to YNP 5 times, first in 2005 last 2016. My favorite park hands down , after the last visit, not so much for DH. Each visit has been arriving second week in September with a 2 week stay. I am asking for a return trip in 2019 for my birthday. DH has acquiesced reluctantly.
The crowds the last 2 trips were jaw dropping compared to years past. My question is if we wait until first 2weeks in October will there be a significant difference? I know it will never be light, maybe lighter. Opinions please.
Thank you,
Sherry
45 REPLIES 45

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
Not YNP, but we do have Wyoming tags.

These two characters, part of a group of five moose, turned up in our front yard the morning after we got home from a late Oct camp.

And these two were having a dust-up one summer afternoon. In our backyard. Part of the town's local resident herd.

Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
I mentioned in my post way back in this thread that we were at Yellowstone in June 2016. I'm going to make a suggestion that you consider taking your birthday trip early, leaving home in time to get to Yellowstone by June 1st. We prefer to be in that area in the late May to late June time period for a number of reasons, including:

- In the Spring the grasses are green and the flowers are in bloom. Lots of new Bison calves around.

- In addition to Yellowstone, we like to spend time at Grand Teton NP and in June the mountains are still beautifully snow capped, rather than just gray rock. Also, the streams and waterfalls are running high due to the snow melt.

- Forest fires in the west are more prevalent in the Summer and Fall, with hazy smoky skies making for poor photo conditions.

- The Summer solstice is in June, so June has more hours of daylight than September, which contains the equinox. For example, the Google assistant on my phone says that the sun sets at 9:12 PM tonight in West Yellowstone. On September 15th the sun sets at 7:35 PM. In our experience the crowds in Yellowstone dissipate about dinner time when people head back to their lodging or campsites for the evening. Visiting in June provides an extra two hours of daylight to explore the Park when it is much less crowded than during midday.

Teton Mountains from Schwabacker Landing - mid-June 2005

Teton Mountains from Schwabacker Landing - mid-September 2007
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Been there three times in the winter and only once in the summer, something to consider if you want a totally different experience.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
We were at YNP in Oct. of 2010 -- there were some folks, but not too bad. If you have a few minutes, scroll through this blog post to get an idea of what's available:

October in Yellowstone

I do understand about avoiding crowds -- we usually boondock and hike in the national forests for exactly that reason. But sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet. To quote Yogi Berra, "Nobody goes there anymore -- it's too crowded."

Anyway, here is an inducement for someone who is reluctant to visit YNP:

Click For Full-Size Image.

As usual Great Images -

Thanks for sharing,

Bill
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We went the middle of May 2016.Crowds were light,weather was great.

katleman
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m just jealous that you have been to Yellowstone in September 5 times already. ๐Ÿ™‚

In the last 20 years, have been there 4 times in June and 3 in August. September & May are on my bucket list.
Visted via RV

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were at YNP in Oct. of 2010 -- there were some folks, but not too bad. If you have a few minutes, scroll through this blog post to get an idea of what's available:

October in Yellowstone

I do understand about avoiding crowds -- we usually boondock and hike in the national forests for exactly that reason. But sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet. To quote Yogi Berra, "Nobody goes there anymore -- it's too crowded."

Anyway, here is an inducement for someone who is reluctant to visit YNP:

Click For Full-Size Image.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
We usually choose the last two weeks in September for fall color in Tetons. Three years ago it wasnt too bad. But, now, with foreign tourists in buses or driving rentals, we have noticed uptick in visitation in most western national parks. It is the orice we pay for having these crown jewels. Hope you have a happy birthday.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Rice
Explorer III
Explorer III
derouen6 wrote:
Thank you for the replies. It appears that October will probably not be noticeable less crowded. Iโ€™ve got several months before I have to make CG reservation plenty of time to mull it over.

Here are the visitor numbers:

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/visitationstats.htm

October accounts for about 5% of visits, on average. September accounts for about 15% of visits (but probably most of those are very early September, and I would imagine it drops every week).

If you're talking about 2019, you have more than several months to make reservations. I checked an RV park in West Yellowstone and they have dozens of sites available for this coming October, never mind 2019. (We stayed in the park on our mid-September visit just to avoid dealing with the cars funneling into the park in the morning, but in October, I think even I would be willing to commute from West Yellowstone.)

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies. It appears that October will probably not be noticeable less crowded. Iโ€™ve got several months before I have to make CG reservation plenty of time to mull it over. And thank you for other suggested destinations.
Sherry

derouen6
Explorer
Explorer
Busskipper wrote:
derouen6 wrote:
We have been to YNP 5 times, first in 2005 last 2016. My favorite park hands down , after the last visit, not so much for DH. Each visit has been arriving second week in September with a 2 week stay. I am asking for a return trip in 2019 for my birthday. DH has acquiesced reluctantly.
The crowds the last 2 trips were jaw dropping compared to years past. My question is if we wait until first 2weeks in October will there be a significant difference? I know it will never be light, maybe lighter. Opinions please.
Thank you,
Sherry

Sherry,

Just a thought, if September is your time, and Memorable sites are the Mission, but Crowds are not desired, then think about sliding up to Yellowstone from a different direction and catching Colorado, either coming or going. Even if just as the route to with little time spent other than the drive, as the scenery is Spectacular.

Try putting a few of these into your Itinerary on the drive to or from.

Salida/Buena Vista
Gunnison
Crested Butte
Lake City
Ouray
Silverton
Telluride
Ridgway
Colorado National Monument
Dinosaur NM
Flaming Gorge NRA
Wind River Canyon
Cody

MAP - Possible route

Especially if you can be in Colorado in the Last Two Weeks of September - Aspen in Colorado, in September

Nothing against Yellowstone, but I like your DH Hate Crowds, Having my first visit to Yellowstone some 60 years ago I have seen even more changes than you, still a favorite and our last visit was in late October, during an Indian Summer, more animals than People, but that was over 10 years ago, and we did it because the weather was Perfect. We have now discovered Colorado, Just as Beautiful, almost as Diverse, and in September, if you choose the locations correctly, not nearly as crowded, and OH those Aspen, just eye Candy in Late September.

Just a suggestion, as timing is everything.

Best of Luck,

We have spent at least 12 of the last 20 Septembers in Colorado, it is indeed spectacular. May I p.m. you with a few questions?

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
derouen6 wrote:
Thank you,
Sherry

Sherry,

Just a thought, if September is your time, and Memorable sites are the Mission, but Crowds are not desired, then think about sliding up to Yellowstone from a different direction and catching Colorado, either coming or going. Even if just as the route to with little time spent other than the drive, as the scenery is Spectacular.

Try putting a few of these into your Itinerary on the drive to or from.

Salida/Buena Vista
Gunnison
Crested Butte
Lake City
Ouray
Silverton
Telluride
Ridgway
Colorado National Monument
Dinosaur NM
Flaming Gorge NRA
Wind River Canyon
Cody

MAP - Possible route

Especially if you can be in Colorado in the Last Two Weeks of September - Aspen in Colorado, in September

Nothing against Yellowstone, but I like your DH Hate Crowds, Having my first visit to Yellowstone some 60 years ago I have seen even more changes than you, still a favorite and our last visit was in late October, during an Indian Summer, more animals than People, but that was over 10 years ago, and we did it because the weather was Perfect. We have now discovered Colorado, Just as Beautiful, almost as Diverse, and in September, if you choose the locations correctly, not nearly as crowded, and OH those Aspen, just eye Candy in Late September.

Just a suggestion, as timing is everything.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
Denali has limited cars for years. We did Yellowstone a few years ago very disappointed.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Leave the RV at home and go in February. Ride a snowmobile and have a real experience. While it is over-regulated now, it is still something to put on your bucket list.

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
derouen6 wrote:
Madison CG does not close till October 14 or there about. Cold, snow, YEA!!!

Careful what you wish for. A couple of years ago, first week of October deer hunting season, we had a foot of snow in camp. Wyoming Range, way south of Yellowstone. In fact there have been years Iโ€™ve had to chain up the camper to get safely off the mountain. Think trailer brakes on ice and snow packed National forest roads ๐Ÿ˜‰

FWIW, there are lots of places to camp in the National Forests, Utah and Wyoming. Check the Wasatch-Cache National Forest. Highway 150 between Evanston, Wy, and Kamas, UT. Nice campsites and hiking. Third week of September is the peak for Quaking Aspen colors.

Wife, Dogs and I will be camped on the Hamโ€™s Fork river scouting deer and elk for the October hunt.

Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV