cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dispersed camping, Hite Utah

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know where this camping area is along Lake Powell? I'm thinking it is an old photograph. The water there is so low now, maybe it doesn't exist any more, or at least is no longer on the water?

clicky

I've looked around in Google Earth but can't seem to find that little island ... it almost looks like people have driven across the water and onto the island?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
4 REPLIES 4

weedrancher
Explorer
Explorer
I spent a night at the Hite Campground in March 2014. The fee was $12.00. Glen Canyon Rec Area also charges $15.00 fee to get into the area unless you have a pass. No one around so I had all 6 sites to myself. The lake was really low and the CG was a long ways from the water. The toilets were approx 300 yards away via a meandering trail through the rocks. There was fresh water at the restrooms but not in the CG. There were a few tables available.
2002 Dodge Cummins 4X4,2004 Lance 920,, Airlift suspension, Roadmaster anti-sway bar, TorkLift tie downs, Fastguns, StableLoads

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. This is as social as I get.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
GordenThree wrote:
I've looked around in Google Earth but can't seem to find that little island ... it almost looks like people have driven across the water and onto the island?

If you blow the picture up, you can see that those on the island arrived via boat.

GordonThree wrote:
I found this from the National Parks Service ... they seem pretty relaxed about camping along the lake, sounds like pretty much the entire shoreline is open to camping, provided you can reach it from a roadway and it's not at a marina.

But accessing the shoreline from a road isn't possible around most of the lake. With the water level way down, most of those few roads that get close are 4x4 and not a place that's easy to get a trailer into. One can camp back from the shore some distance and walk down.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the links!

I found this from the National Parks Service ... they seem pretty relaxed about camping along the lake, sounds like pretty much the entire shoreline is open to camping, provided you can reach it from a roadway and it's not at a marina.

Glen Canyon Camping

The spot in the picture just has a particular appeal to it
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

azrving
Explorer
Explorer