cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving on beach in outer banks

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a question for those who have been to the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

My wife and I are staying at an inn on the Outer Banks for 5 nights the first week of April. This is our first trip to the Outer Banks, and I have always heard a major attraction to the area is simply driving on the beach. What I am curious about is how many miles of beach can you actually drive on? The reason I am asking is because we are traveling from Michigan and I know that in order to drive on the beach we will need to take our Silverado because we will need 4 wheel drive, rather than taking our Cruze which gets over twice the fuel milage, but obviously won't be able to drive it on the beach.

Personally, on longer trips I prefer the comfort and size of the truck, but economically the Cruze makes more since as we will not be taking the camper. I like the prospect of driving the beach if there are a number of miles of beach to drive on and see the sites, but if there is only a miles here or there to drive on it would make more since to drive the car and walk the beach.

What do the experts have to say? How many miles can you actually drive on?

Thanks,

Mike
20 REPLIES 20

sharker6
Explorer
Explorer
And be ready for some rusted truck parts if you hit any water on the beach. Stay away from any 'puddles'. After a day driving the beach you need to rinse the undercarriage. Also, you'll need to air down your tires to 15/20 psi if the sand is powder like what's on Ocracoke. I've been surf fishing the OBX for around 10 years and learned the hard way.
2017 Keystone Cougar 29RES, 2008 F250 Diesel FX4

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great information, huachuca! That is exactly what I was looking for. I have been doing a lot of reading regarding the rules and regulations and permits of beach driving, but hardly anything about the distances.

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
From the Virginia state line in the north to the southern tip of Ocracoke Island there is nearly a hundred miles of beach accessible by four wheel drive. The northern section extends roughly ten miles from Corolla to a locked gate barring entry into Virginia. No special permits are needed and you are likely to see the banker ponies in this area. Drive with care as stumps from a relic forest are sometimes exposed along the beach.

The southern section is under the control of Cape Hatteras National Seashore and runs intermittently from Oregon Inlet to the ferry landing at Hatteras with breaks for Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge and a few small village scattered along Hwy 12. The Seashore extends over to Ocracoke Island where another twenty miles or so of beach driving is available. You will need a permit from the NPS ($50 I think, good for a week) for any offroad driving on federal lands. Its likely some areas will be closed for turtle or bird nesting.

Hope you enjoy your visit with us and let me know if you have more questions.

Whammon1
Explorer
Explorer
They have several places that rent jeeps.

2003silverado
Explorer II
Explorer II
We will be staying in Pamlico Sound. I know the entire beach doesn't allow driving, but am curious if there are enough driveable miles to warrant taking the truck.

Thanks,

Mike

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I'm no expert, but the times I've been there, you can't drive just anywhere on the beach. There are specific areas where it is allowed, but most places it is verboten. Where are you going to be? "The Outer Banks" is a large place.