cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Federal Park Camping and Looming Government Shutdown

melhow
Explorer
Explorer
The family (10 of us with four sites total) and I have our annual 12-day trip planned for Elkmont in the Smokies beginning October 2. I am sweating the very real possibility of a government shutdown effective Oct. 1.

From what I've read, the park would close all access except for pass-thru driving allowed on 441 between Tennessee and North Carolina, no stopping allowed.

I'm trying to come up with a good plan-B, but I'm hesitant to reserve other sites, mainly because I am unfamiliar with RV'ing in parks in the area outside of the Smokies. I also don't want to drop a bunch more cash on second reservations just to be hit with a cancellation fee if nothing happens with the shutdown.

What's your thoughts on the issue (the effect of the shutdown and alternate plan-making, NOT the politics behind what caused the shutdown)? Anyone else's plans going to be affected?

*Edited to hopefully not start a politics thread
2008 Keystone Hideout 23RKS
2012 Nissan Titan 4x4 PRO-4X
12,080 GCWR loaded for the woods
63 REPLIES 63

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
If you're talking about in Arizona.....yeah, we will. They have 1.2 million acres and 55 employees working. I'll be glad to pay when they come around to collect or open their offices. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

You are a baddd.... woman ๐Ÿ˜‰
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
I was checking on dispersed camping in the forest and found that some areas require a permit. You guessed it -- you have to get the permit from the now closed forestry/ranger station. Would you just go ahead an camp anyway, without the required permit?
If you're talking about in Arizona.....yeah, we will. They have 1.2 million acres and 55 employees working. I'll be glad to pay when they come around to collect or open their offices. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was checking on dispersed camping in the forest and found that some areas require a permit. You guessed it -- you have to get the permit from the now closed forestry/ranger station. Would you just go ahead an camp anyway, without the required permit?

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reserve America site is working for campgrounds like KOA, state parks etc that is also services. If you go to a COE or National park site to make a reservation, it has a notice stating that it is not available, or there is a notice that the campground is closed.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
Our local TV station in Oregon put out a Facebook blurb that all BLM campgrounds are closing.......Anyone have any idea how this affects Arizona? I know they furloughed almost all employees and shut down some of the campgrounds (or all), but there's no way they can stop us from camping on the short term OR long term properties, is there?

I can tell you that the BLM campgrounds near Moab UT are not closing, just no services, etc. Signs to this effect at Horse Thief Campground near Dead Horse SP and Canyon Lands NP
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I know it's a tad early but what about the BLM land out by Quartzsite? I wonder if they will block that off?

GreenSalsa
Explorer
Explorer
ChiefK wrote:
Stupid, stupid, stupid. They make money from the campers, not lose money. This is just a way to make the American people hurt.

X10
GreenSalsa lives in North Carolina, but dreams of life on the road...

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Our local TV station in Oregon put out a Facebook blurb that all BLM campgrounds are closing.......Anyone have any idea how this affects Arizona? I know they furloughed almost all employees and shut down some of the campgrounds (or all), but there's no way they can stop us from camping on the short term OR long term properties, is there?
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

Quartermoon
Explorer
Explorer
There is hope - we have reservations at Double Lake National Recreation Area (full hook up camping) Oct 11th. They said it's business as usual since they are mostly run by a private contractor. They just won't have any Forest Service personnel on-site. All campers, day visitors, mountain bikers and hikers are unaffected. So it is a good idea to check before you assume anything.
2016 Ford F250
2014 Open Range Light 318RL

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Federal....not State or local CG's.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Trixie47
Explorer
Explorer
Am I to believe then that the state parks are not affected by this shutdown ? I have reservations at Jenny Wiley state park in Kentudky for mid October. Been so looking forward to this trip !!!
2008 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab DW
2012 Keystone Avalanche...4 Slides

melhow
Explorer
Explorer
Another update from the Smokies - my husband left the park this morning to shop our options at private parks (props to Smoky bear Campground on Hwy 321 for being very cool and accommodating with our group)and upon returning to the park was questioned by park services, rightly so, at the gate regarding getting back to camp. He only had his parking tag to prove he was camping, which sufficed, but he was advised he'd need more proof if he needed to exit and re-enter prior to the deadline to be out, which he is now being told is 6PM Thursday.

Lesson here, and it seems pretty evident, but in a rush you might not think about it - if you are in any of the Federal parks and are scrambling to make arrangements outside of the park, be sure you have proof of your accommodations on your person - you will be questioned at the gates.

Good luck campers!
2008 Keystone Hideout 23RKS
2012 Nissan Titan 4x4 PRO-4X
12,080 GCWR loaded for the woods

tandk
Explorer
Explorer
We are in the same boat. We were leaving next Monday for Great Basin, Capitol Reef, Bryce and Zion for our 30th wedding anniversary ๐Ÿ˜ž I am now checking out state parks in the area or deciding whether to re-think our destination. Sigh.
Tim and Kathy, Topa the Wonder Dog
2003 Nash 21 5R
2002 Chevy 2500HD, SB, Duramax diesel, Allison tranny
Twin Honda EU2000i

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Oakman wrote:
Mich F wrote:
Ray552 wrote:

All Corp of Engineers and other federal parks campsites are closed as is the reserve America site.

The Reserve America site is still working. At least it is on my computer.

Yes, the other poster probably meant the Recreation.Gov website is temporarily closed. The Reserve America website is still up and running.

No, he's posted numerous times on at least three different threads that Reserve America is shut down. :h
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Oakman
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
Ray552 wrote:

All Corp of Engineers and other federal parks campsites are closed as is the reserve America site.

The Reserve America site is still working. At least it is on my computer.

Yes, the other poster probably meant the Recreation.Gov website is temporarily closed. The Reserve America website is still up and running.
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS