cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Federal Park Camping and Looming Government Shutdown

melhow
Explorer
Explorer
The family (10 of us with four sites total) and I have our annual 12-day trip planned for Elkmont in the Smokies beginning October 2. I am sweating the very real possibility of a government shutdown effective Oct. 1.

From what I've read, the park would close all access except for pass-thru driving allowed on 441 between Tennessee and North Carolina, no stopping allowed.

I'm trying to come up with a good plan-B, but I'm hesitant to reserve other sites, mainly because I am unfamiliar with RV'ing in parks in the area outside of the Smokies. I also don't want to drop a bunch more cash on second reservations just to be hit with a cancellation fee if nothing happens with the shutdown.

What's your thoughts on the issue (the effect of the shutdown and alternate plan-making, NOT the politics behind what caused the shutdown)? Anyone else's plans going to be affected?

*Edited to hopefully not start a politics thread
2008 Keystone Hideout 23RKS
2012 Nissan Titan 4x4 PRO-4X
12,080 GCWR loaded for the woods
63 REPLIES 63

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does anyone know is this shut-down affects the Military Famcamps?
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quartermoon, they cancelled your reservation for 8 days from now and are returning your money?

Quartermoon
Explorer
Explorer
Quartermoon wrote:
There is hope - we have reservations at Double Lake National Recreation Area (full hook up camping) Oct 11th. They said it's business as usual since they are mostly run by a private contractor. They just won't have any Forest Service personnel on-site. All campers, day visitors, mountain bikers and hikers are unaffected. So it is a good idea to check before you assume anything.

Spoke too soon - Double Lake (the one in Texas) was told to close the gates. Refunds for upcoming reservations on the way.

The government shut down has finally affected me. Now I'm pissed ....
2016 Ford F250
2014 Open Range Light 318RL

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
LenSatic wrote:
RVUSA wrote:
I know it's a tad early but what about the BLM land out by Quartzsite? I wonder if they will block that off?

It's a bit tough to cordon off 17% of the state. (That's the total BLM managed area in AZ. NFS is another 15%.) Even harder to enforce when you've been sent home because of the "shutdown". ๐Ÿ˜‰

LS

Thats true, but the one short term area at Qz. had a gate if I remember right. I was thinking about the ones right there at Q.

They can lock the gate and dump and turn off the water, but there are other options. We camp about 20 miles from Q. ๐Ÿ™‚

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
LenSatic wrote:
RVUSA wrote:
I know it's a tad early but what about the BLM land out by Quartzsite? I wonder if they will block that off?

It's a bit tough to cordon off 17% of the state. (That's the total BLM managed area in AZ. NFS is another 15%.) Even harder to enforce when you've been sent home because of the "shutdown". ๐Ÿ˜‰

LS

Thats true, but the one short term area at Qz. had a gate if I remember right. I was thinking about the ones right there at Q.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Is anyone in Death Valley? Can anyone explain what's happening in that park?

We're on our way - heading down H-395 at present.

That seems a very tough place to shut down, as the state highways run thru it, and camping is allowed anywhere in the park -

SO, even shutting down the campgrounds (and there are private CGs as well) will stop no one from camping if we want to pull off and camp.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

dpkimmel2001
Explorer
Explorer
I've got reservations for later in the month in the Martinvsille Va area. My destination appears to be shut down at the moment. Keeping my fingers crossed that everything gets back to normal soon.
2013 Raptor 300MP
2008 GMC 2500 6.6 DMax SuperCrew

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
RVUSA wrote:
WishWeWereCamping wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
n7bsn wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
If you're talking about in Arizona.....yeah, we will. They have 1.2 million acres and 55 employees working. I'll be glad to pay when they come around to collect or open their offices. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

You are a baddd.... woman ๐Ÿ˜‰
Will you bail us out???????

Maybe you could pretend that you're senile, if you are nice they might let you go. Hide your computer and your smart phone, if you have one.

What if she forgets where she hid them? :B
My husband thinks there's no "pretending" to be senile to it.. LOL LOL
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
melhow wrote:
and upon returning to the park was questioned by park services, rightly so, at the gate regarding getting back to camp. He only had his parking tag to prove he was camping, which sufficed, but he was advised he'd need more proof if he needed to exit and re-enter prior to the deadline to be out

Why would they need more proof? When there is no shutdown, they never require anything more than a hang tag. I usually leave any receipts in the camper.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
wbwood wrote:
melhow wrote:
Morning all - as a follow up to this thread, my husband went up early and is now being evicted from Elkmont. The rangers indicated the campers have to leave in a timely fashion, which translates to 48 hours from 12:01 Am this morning. The rangers also indicated that all three campgrounds in the Smokies that have not already been closed due to sequester (Elkmont, Cades Cove and Smokemont) are booked full this weekend, which translates to 501 campsites being emptied and spilled into the surrounding area, which is also booked full due to this being high season.

So, long story short - If you were planning a trip to the area for the next two weeks and don't already have alternate plans, I'd probably just cancel. Everything I heard on the news indicates the shutdown will last, at the minimum, one week, but more than likely will extend until the 17th.

This will be devastating to the area. What a shame.

We had reservations for Cades Cove for this coming weekend. In light of the possible shutdown, I made reservations on Sunday for a cabin in the Wears Valley area instead. I was going to cancel my reservation at Cades Cove on monday, but decided to wait until Tuesday (10-1-13) to see if the shutdown happened. I was going to try and save my $10 cancellation fee. I called Recreation.gov this morning and they told me they are handling it on a day by day basis. They said the shutdown could end the next day.I explained to the lady that my reservations were for 3 days away. They would not offer a full refund. Kind of crappy if you ask me. They want you to wait it out. But if I do and cancel on Thursday, then I loose a days fee. I hung up and went on their website and canceled. Then later, their site went down. Guess I got in there in the knick of time. Lost $10 on it. Oh well.

i wonder if you could get a rain check.

RVUSA
Explorer
Explorer
WishWeWereCamping wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
n7bsn wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:
If you're talking about in Arizona.....yeah, we will. They have 1.2 million acres and 55 employees working. I'll be glad to pay when they come around to collect or open their offices. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Maybe you could pretend that you're senile, if you are nice they might let you go. Hide your computer and your smart phone, if you have one.

What if she forgets where she hid them? :B

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
melhow wrote:
Morning all - as a follow up to this thread, my husband went up early and is now being evicted from Elkmont. The rangers indicated the campers have to leave in a timely fashion, which translates to 48 hours from 12:01 Am this morning. The rangers also indicated that all three campgrounds in the Smokies that have not already been closed due to sequester (Elkmont, Cades Cove and Smokemont) are booked full this weekend, which translates to 501 campsites being emptied and spilled into the surrounding area, which is also booked full due to this being high season.

So, long story short - If you were planning a trip to the area for the next two weeks and don't already have alternate plans, I'd probably just cancel. Everything I heard on the news indicates the shutdown will last, at the minimum, one week, but more than likely will extend until the 17th.

This will be devastating to the area. What a shame.

We had reservations for Cades Cove for this coming weekend. In light of the possible shutdown, I made reservations on Sunday for a cabin in the Wears Valley area instead. I was going to cancel my reservation at Cades Cove on monday, but decided to wait until Tuesday (10-1-13) to see if the shutdown happened. I was going to try and save my $10 cancellation fee. I called Recreation.gov this morning and they told me they are handling it on a day by day basis. They said the shutdown could end the next day.I explained to the lady that my reservations were for 3 days away. They would not offer a full refund. Kind of crappy if you ask me. They want you to wait it out. But if I do and cancel on Thursday, then I loose a days fee. I hung up and went on their website and canceled. Then later, their site went down. Guess I got in there in the knick of time. Lost $10 on it. Oh well.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

WishWeWereCampi
Explorer
Explorer
amandasgramma wrote:
n7bsn wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
amandasgramma wrote:

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend