cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Federal Shutdown?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
What are most of you finding with campgrounds under federal authority; especially, USACE. Are they shut down or partially open with no services? We have reservations at one north of Kennesaw, Ga. in early Feb.
Jayco-noslide
11 REPLIES 11

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Itโ€™s unfortunate that the politicians are being paid for not doing their jobs.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
shelbyfv wrote:
These various shutdown threads have revealed a discouraging ignorance of how the NPS operates and is funded. Sad.

Agreed. My career was spent working in the NPS and USFS and I have to just shake my head at some of the suggestions and advice about what federal employees should be doing during these shutdowns.

Just to clear a few things up:
They CANNOT just go into work.
They CANNOT volunteer at their workplace.
There is no guarantee that they will get paid (although they have in the past.) And even as an employee, I thought it was stupid for us to be prevented from working and then eventually get paid. Either allow employees to work and get paid, or prohibit them from working and then don't pay them.

What I am unsure about is Recreation Enhancement Act funding. Is that unavailable during a government shutdown? It is money collected from entrance & camping fees during previous years, so theoretically it should be available even if current fiscal year funding is blocked.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
The COE is part of Homeland Security and is open. Some districts may have restrictions or winter shut downs, but it isn't related to the Government Shutdown. I am currently a volunteer at a COE campground in western Alabama and we are completely open. Come see us.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
These various shutdown threads have revealed a discouraging ignorance of how the NPS operates and is funded. Sad.

starcraft69
Explorer
Explorer
Just made my Reservation for Grand Canyon no problems there. This is a great time to restructure the NP system to use entry fees for operation cost first and projects second
2007 chevy 2500 HD 6.0 longbed
2015 Eagle HT 28.5 5th wheel
tucker the fishing dog

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
february? I wouldn't worry UNLESS this contiues through Janauary
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Delete

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
More on privately operated fed cg: Coyote

as opposed to the last 2013 shutdown 1 and 2013 Shutdown 2

Which do you prefer?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
I heard from a friend that most Corps CGs on the Tombigbee are open.

Keep in mind that the campgrounds are usually run by concessions, which are not subject to the shutdown.

A

Make America Green Again!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are a couple of open threads on this. In general most campgrounds are open but with no services, sometimes they lock up the restrooms. There is no trash collection, cleanup, and no one supervises who gets to use a campground site. In what seems to be quite a few parks (not apparently in CA), local volunteers or the state have stepped up to provide some maintenance.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper