cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flatlander route concerns from Tetons south thru UT, AZ

FloridaNative49
Explorer
Explorer
After Yellowstone, we'll be heading south from ColterBay/Tetons on 191, 89 (thru Utah, AZ) and eventually turning via I-40 east toward home. Pls. share elevation concerns, etc. for Floridians in a 38' gasser, pulling a CRV, in late August to Mid-September.
Thnx in advance!
20 REPLIES 20

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
RAS43 wrote:
Just be aware that I25 thru Colorado will be a very high traffic area until you pass by Pueblo. I would prefer mountains vs traffic but that is me.
With that said we just traveled from Yellowstone on 191 to Vernal Ut which is fairly easy. There is an area north of Vernal with a small pull and then a drop into Vernal but it is not steep.

We went to Montana a few weeks ago. On the way out we hit Denver at evening rush hour and it was horrible. On the way back we went through at about 10:00 am on a Sunday, it was a breeze so if you do go through the Denver area make sure you pick your transit time wisely.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Busskipper wrote:
If the Question is "south from Colter Bay/Tetons on 191, 89 (thru Utah, AZ) and eventually turning via I-40 " I'd look at the Opportunities available to you on this drive - While I'm not a big fan of Jackson Hole the Developed City/area, to be there and not drive through is almost criminal, but wait there's more. From there Flaming Gorge is Calling - Water - Rocks - just the sheer Beauty - You have driven Thousands of miles, over Mountains and through Passes, how can you not to See, to Touch, to Hike into, drive Through and Experience as much as is possible with every mile you drive down the Road?

So I'd include - Flaming Gorge NRA - Dino NM - Colorado NM - Moab, yes Arches/Canyonlands/RT 128 - Goosenecks - Monument Valley - Canyon de Chelly - Window Rock - and Santa Fe.

I'm serious - you just drove almost 3,000 miles to Yellowstone, and you would stay on the I's and a few State roads and/to avoid a couple Mountains and a Switch back or two and Miss what you drove out to See. Please.......seriously PLEASE Take/Make the Trip one you will never forget, go and See the a little more of the SouthWest.

MAP

Just one more Option, Please, you will not regret it, Just trying to Make the Drive as Good as the Destination, Slow down, stop and Enjoy.

JMHO,

In my opinion this is very good advice. We made this route from Colter Bay to Flaming Gorge and stayed at Manilla KOA. This would be great for a couple of days in itself.

Listen to Busskipper.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
The CG we liked in Moab is definitely NOT a favorite of someone else on rv.net, so remember to take all recommendations with a grain of salt. (This was the Spanish Trail RV Park on the south side of Moab. It has shade, which a lot of CGs in the area seem to lack.) Another shady-appearing one (we didn't drive in) is one downtown - I forget the name. Dead Horse Point SP is great! No shade to speak of, except over the picnic tables, but what a view!

Kodachrome Basin SP is gorgeous. We haven't stayed there yet, but did visit for a lunchtime stop, and definitely want to go back!
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:

โ€œ...At Evanston head west on I-80 to Heber City on Hwy 40. Jordanelle State Park is very nice with big sites. Then pick up UT6 to Helper, Price and Green River,UT at I-70. Go east on I-70 a short distance to Hwy 191 and on to Moab and on to 163 to Monument Valley at the Arizona border...โ€

At Evanston... Phillips RV Park is an option. Bear River State Park, right off I80, has a good RV dump, elk and bison. Mirror Lake Scenic Byway, hwy 150 south of town, goes over the High Uinta mountains. Beautiful drive, paved 2-lane road with good campgrounds along the way. Routinely traveled by big campers. Check with the Forest Service for paid passes. Other side is an easy drive to Heber City, hwy 40.

Worth a look!
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Moab? We love this one:

https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/dead-horse/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
I would not recommend 191 in Utah (Flaming Gorge area). Coming down to Vernal you'll have approx. 10 miles of 8 & 9% grades with switchbacks.
Not really any kind of exposure as in cliffs and the like, but definitely a long down grade requiring you to use your tranny for speed control.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

FloridaNative49
Explorer
Explorer
TwoGypsies recommended Jordanelle SP. Need a recommendation for CG while we visit Arches/Moab??

We were planning to follow that up with a stay at Kodachrome Basin SP.

Thank you.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If you are not in a hurry to get home, I would go farther south and take US 50 and visit the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
A gasser provides a decent amount of engine braking when you downshift. It's probably not as great as a good diesel engine braking system, but much better than a diesel with no engine or exhaust braking system.

FloridaNative49
Explorer
Explorer
These are great..... We def. want to see the beauty we came for... and appreciate your favorites. Had planned to run some day trips from various stops IN THE CAR :-), i.e. have (4) days in Tetons, so could run down/around Jackson Hole one day.
Yes, I have both Mountain Directories, but they're older..... paperback, have been to GC (stayed in Williams) and Zion. Think I might upgrade to the digital/apps.
Had a diesel pusher with a terrific engine brake that I won't have with the gasser, and want to be pro-active on the descents.
Thanks again!

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaNative49 wrote:
After Yellowstone, we'll be heading south from ColterBay/Tetons on 191, 89 (thru Utah, AZ) and eventually turning via I-40 east toward home. Pls. share elevation concerns, etc. for Floridians in a 38' gasser, pulling a CRV, in late August to Mid-September.
Thnx in advance!

If the Question is "south from Colter Bay/Tetons on 191, 89 (thru Utah, AZ) and eventually turning via I-40 " I'd look at the Opportunities available to you on this drive - While I'm not a big fan of Jackson Hole the Developed City/area, to be there and not drive through is almost criminal, but wait there's more. From there Flaming Gorge is Calling - Water - Rocks - just the sheer Beauty - You have driven Thousands of miles, over Mountains and through Passes, how can you not to See, to Touch, to Hike into, drive Through and Experience as much as is possible with every mile you drive down the Road?

So I'd include - Flaming Gorge NRA - Dino NM - Colorado NM - Moab, yes Arches/Canyonlands/RT 128 - Goosenecks - Monument Valley - Canyon de Chelly - Window Rock - and Santa Fe.

I'm serious - you just drove almost 3,000 miles to Yellowstone, and you would stay on the I's and a few State roads and/to avoid a couple Mountains and a Switch back or two and Miss what you drove out to See. Please.......seriously PLEASE Take/Make the Trip one you will never forget, go and See the a little more of the SouthWest.

MAP

Just one more Option, Please, you will not regret it, Just trying to Make the Drive as Good as the Destination, Slow down, stop and Enjoy.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
RAS43 wrote:
Just be aware that I25 thru Colorado will be a very high traffic area until you pass by Pueblo. I would prefer mountains vs traffic but that is me.
With that said we just traveled from Yellowstone on 191 to Vernal Ut which is fairly easy. There is an area north of Vernal with a small pull and then a drop into Vernal but it is not steep.

^^^^^ This. I-25 in both directions is frequently a parking lot. One disabled vehicle, one accident, one speeder pulled over by CSP and traffic grinds to a halt. Even when it spreads out from 2 lanes to multiple lanes in each direction, it is still heavy traffic.

An alternative? If you take I-80 eastbound, go through Cheyenne WY and continue to Kimball, NE. Take NE 71 south into Colorado where it becomes CO 71. Stay on it. All the way, through Brush and on to Limon, where you can pick up US 287, which will take you to Amarillo and I-40.

And a note about I-80 across WY. The highest point is east of Laramie at 9600 feet. There's a climb out of Laramie to the summit, but it's not overly steep, it's a good interstate and the views up top at the rest area are beautiful. From there it's a gradual downhill with rolling terrain until it flattens out west of Cheyenne. Flat and smooth to Kimball.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I picked up these for our 1st trip out west, helped to pick routes and avoid what we could. As someone said above, the big thing is learning to drive the mts.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
89 south out of Jackson you'll have Salt River Pass which is 7% grade for 3.5 miles - south of Afton. Easy drive - you won't even notice it. Further south on 89 you'll have Geneva Pass between Geneva and Montpelier, ID. You'll have 6% for 2 miles. I'd then suggest taking 30 to Kemmerer then 189 to I-80 at Evanston, WY.

At Evanston head west on I-80 to Heber City on Hwy 40. Jordanelle State Park is very nice with big sites. Then pick up UT6 to Helper, Price and Green River,UT at I-70. Go east on I-70 a short distance to Hwy 191 and on to Moab and on to 163 to Monument Valley at the Arizona border.

If you want to go to the Grand Canyon continue south o 163 to Kayenta, AZ then west on 160 toward Tuba City, AZ and Hwy 89. Take AZ89 south a short distance to 64 west which will take you into Grand Canyon NP. Leaving Grand Canyon take 64 south to I-40 at Williams, AZ.

I would not recommend 191 in Utah (Flaming Gorge area). Coming down to Vernal you'll have approx. 10 miles of 8 & 9% grades with switchbacks.

I would also recommend that you purchase the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers & RVers' before you go then you can read up on roads and you won't get any surprises.

It's understandably difficult for flat-landers to get into the mountains the first time. However, when you're finished with this trip you'll be a pro. For the most part you'll get a gradual introductory once you get out of the Plains. Even heading to Yellowstone if you stay on interstates you'll still have some 6% grades and even steeper on I-70 west of Denver if you take that route. Don't be afraid of some of the secondary roads. That's where you find the beauty. Have a great trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel