Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida Keys over holidays - Tow car or Not

rcsauce
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

We are planning a trip to the Florida Keys. Probably staying in Key Largo. Should I tow the car? Think we might want to see key west too.

Any suggestions as to where to stay and what to do? (We are on a budget though)

Would like to swim with dolphins.

Thanks in advance!
Rob
12 REPLIES 12

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
if you are just going straight to the Keys, why not rent a car there? didn't bother to look up 07930
bumpy

FYI on rental cars your full cover insurance will probably cover your rental car but if there is an accident rental companies will bill you for lost revenue and your insurance will not cover that. Lost revenue includes the lower cost the vehicle will bring when sold since it was in a wreck, arbitrary figure that they will come up with and the daily rental fees for all days the car was out of commission.
However if you buy there insurance you are not billed for these charges and it does not go against your insurance.

that is one of the reasons I always get the additional insurance on any rental, just figure it into the cost of a rental car. there was a scam run years ago, don't know when it stopped, of FLA car rental agencies who would bring your shiny car out all wet from just being washed. You OK'd the condition and lo and behold when the water dried off it was horribly scratched, which you couldn't see when wet. they nailed a lot of tourists that way. one firm brought me out a sopping wet one and I said dry it off and not surprisingly, they took that one away and brought me out a dry one.

bumpy

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
if you are just going straight to the Keys, why not rent a car there? didn't bother to look up 07930
bumpy

FYI on rental cars your full cover insurance will probably cover your rental car but if there is an accident rental companies will bill you for lost revenue and your insurance will not cover that. Lost revenue includes the lower cost the vehicle will bring when sold since it was in a wreck, arbitrary figure that they will come up with and the daily rental fees for all days the car was out of commission.
However if you buy there insurance you are not billed for these charges and it does not go against your insurance.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
We went to the Dolphin Research Center in Grassy Key, the interaction with the Dolphins is 50,85 or 100 dollars per person and books up fast so reservations are necessary.
General admission is $25 per person - we really enjoyed it.

If on a budget the keys are not the place to camp, and it is too far to drive down from the mainland.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

majorgator
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP, you didn't say where you'll be driving from or how long you're staying. For example, coming from a long way off and only staying for a week or so...I'd think you'd be better off to rent a car when you get to Miami. The Keys are beautiful, but there's often not much to do on any of them individually. And from Key Largo to Key West is a LONG way. One way or another, you'll be better off making that trip in a regular vehicle.

As has already been said, south FL and the Keys fill up in the winter months and spring. Big Pine Key has been mentioned, and that's a nice little place to be. There's another campground on there called Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge. I've tent camped there a few times and loved the facility. Not sure about the RV camping, but I know that there are a lot of "perms" there.
SAVED BY GRACE, THROUGH FAITH*
1998 Coachmen Catalina Lite 248TB
TV: 1996 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 7.3L Diesel (a man's truck)

*signature amended so that religious components aren't included (per "Admin")...hooray, now nobody will be offended by my personal beliefs

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes bring your car, and yes there are several places to swim with Dolphins.
We winter down there every winter for four months, and that is why I like the trailer. We still have the pick up truck to get around with.

If you are tight on a budget, you might want to reconsider!

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
lots of folks used to use the Auto Train. don't know if that still is running. put your car on a flatbed, hop into your sleeping cabin, and spend the night en-route sleeping.
bumpy

dieharder
Explorer
Explorer
rtz549 wrote:
dockmasterdave wrote:
car carriers bringing cars from up north

I'm not familiar with that process. What's the advantage or reason for doing it like that?

I believe a lot of the elderly use this service. Instead of doing the long drive down south, they hire a company to bring the car down and they spend only a couple of hours on a flight instead.
1999 Itasca Sunrise

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
"Snow birds" from up north, send their cars down this time of year and send them back up north in the spring.
18 wheel car carrier trailer loads of them.
Plus the ones who drive their car down.
Gets pretty crowded in the winter.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

rtz549
Explorer
Explorer
dockmasterdave wrote:
car carriers bringing cars from up north

I'm not familiar with that process. What's the advantage or reason for doing it like that?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
I think if I were you I'd be busy trying to find a place to stay.
The keys will never be budget friendly, and fills up real fast when it gets cold up north.
I was looking for state parks in central/south FL 2 weeks ago, for Thanksgiving weekend. They laughed.
They said they are getting busier earlier this year than they have ever seen.
I've lived in south FL over 30 years, and I've never seen this many car carriers bringing cars from up north this early.
Traffic is already a mess.
Hope you get a spot and enjoy your time.
About 2 months ago we found a small place on Big Pine Key.
It's @30 miles from Key West. If you want to check it out, it was called Breezy Pines. Far from fancy, but clean, and close to Key West.
Key deer came right up under the awning.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always tow a car. Period. Might have a breakdown or get in a wreck.

The Keys has Public bus service and you can walk and bike to lots of stuff on Largo.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.