cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Forest Service Campground - First Come, First Serve & hosts

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
went up the mountain to Sibley Lake Campground in Bighorn National Forest to see if there any sites available because on Recreation.gov they have a few sites that are listed as First-come, First-serve.

Most as expected were full, except for one site. The site number matched the First-come, First-serve site on Recreation.gov but the issue was that it was open tonight, but reserved tomorrow. This is supposed to be a first-come, first-serve site :h

The campground host said it was an administrative decision.

Are they allowed to do that?

Seems to me they are using their position/power to reserve a site that isn't supposed to be reservable?

Anyway, I didn't make a big scene because frankly I wasn't sure what all they're allowed to do and not allowed to do. Had it been a true first-come, first-serve site my son & would have stayed and spent a few nights with the rest of the family joining us in a few days.

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail
44 REPLIES 44

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
WhitehouseLV wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
Locals here become friends w the hosts at non-reserved FS campgrounds so they get a call when something opens. The host typically puts the lawn chairs out to hold the spot until the camper shows up.

sounds like a good approach

Sounds like lack of ethics.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
monkey44, we do the FS camps also. Love the first come, first serve. We might take 2 days, then re-up for more days, can't do that with reservations. Or smoke and fire get bad, we can bail, not lose money. Another thing is that a lot of FS camps is there is no wifi or internet available. So that means the host must travel somewhere to pick up the reservations or someone must deliver the info to the host. We have been in a couple FS camps that had that very problem. A real cluster. Use the KISS theory. And be flexible.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
azdryheat wrote:
First come - first served is a terrible way to operate a campground. If I'm gonna drive all day I want some assurance I will have a place to park at the end of the day.

Then you need a reservation before you go, or don't drive all that way. Some folks like free-travel camping. We like FCFS. Should be some of each for everyone who camps.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
First come - first served is a terrible way to operate a campground. If I'm gonna drive all day I want some assurance I will have a place to park at the end of the day.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
First COME first served should mean just that.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

WhitehouseLV
Explorer III
Explorer III
mockturtle wrote:
Home field advantage. It seems a little selfish to me.

Me, too! ๐Ÿ˜ž

I agree! shouldn't be like that

Longtime Member of RV.net (since 2005) just trying to find my friends and way around in this new community.
40' Keystone Toyhauler
2017 Ram 3500 DRW
2019 KTM 300 XC-W tpi
Honda CRF 80F

Honda Rincon
Polaris RZR 800 Trail

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Some people get a little power or responsibility, they use it irresponsibly. THEN, we campers wonder - or maybe not wonder - why the system does not work as designed.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II

Me, too! ๐Ÿ˜ž
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yup. Tough enough to get a FCFS campground anywhere without someone taking advantage. Selfish is right the word.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
WhitehouseLV wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
Locals here become friends w the hosts at non-reserved FS campgrounds so they get a call when something opens. The host typically puts the lawn chairs out to hold the spot until the camper shows up.

sounds like a good approach

2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pitch and Profdant both bring up excellent situations.
Pitch, don't feel "but" or "bad". I absolutely hate when double dipping happens on campsites. The All American Greed Factor.

We always try to put the tag etc. in a baggie just in case. Also, we don't have the problem because our fiver is sitting in the site, but always recommend to tent campers, van dwellers etc. always let something sit on the site and make sure your occupancy tag is where it is supposed to be.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
pitch, we had the opposite experience in Great Basin Nat Park. On a rainy day (key fact), we spotted a totally vacant site that was first come, first served. We set up our trailer.

After a half hour of work, a guy shows up in a panel truck, claiming that this was his site! It turns out that he had posted his little ticket stub on the stake in front of the campsite but that the rain had washed it off the stake and onto the ground. When we found it, there was his name and date.

He had failed to leave any evidence of occupation in his site -- when we asked him why, he told us that he had no excess possessions and had to pack everything up when he drove his truck from the campsite to the visitors' center.

So we had to leave. Moral of the story: even if you think the site is vacant, check carefully for those ticket stubs!!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were in California, don't remember where. Looking for a spot. Campground had plenty vacant sites. We called for reservation headquarters said no vacancy. Checked with camp host,He pointed to an empty site said that is in use for a week but the people packed up go ahead. We set up fully expecting an outraged camper to show up in the middle of the night. Nope, stayed three quiet days.
Did not pay either. Host said thesite was paid in full and the system would not accept payment on an occupied site. Felt a bit guilty but?

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
We are headed West next week and stay mainly in first come CGs. Should be interesting with the reports of 30%+ increase in activity this summer.

Ditto in July to Bryce Canyon, Arches and Canyonland where campgrounds are mostly first-come-first-serrve.. Also with reports of congestions.

Would appreciate updates and experiences from those who'll be swinging by that way ahead of us.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
A very similar thing happened to us at Difficult Campground (really!) near Aspen, a few years ago. We didn't fight it or put up a fuss -- life is too short. But it is annoying, that's for sure.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."