cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

French Creek State Park - PA

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few weeks ago we decided to take a last minute overnight trip locally since the kids were off for election day. We've heard great things about the campground at French Creek State Park, so we decided to give it a try.

We headed out after the kids got home from school and unfortunately ran out of daylight before arriving. You're able to check-in using the honor system after hours which was great, but we weren't able to do much exploring.

When we woke up the next morning we went to check the area out. The C loop is open year round and it's the only loop where pets are allowed. I hit the playground with the kids and snooped around the cool cabins and yurts too.

After we finished breakfast and our morning campfire we hit the trails. We embarked on a 5 mile hike after realizing we didn't bring any good shoes. It was a long hike with the little ones, but the area is beautiful (especially in the fall) and the kids did awesome.

All in all, we spent 22 hours camping which is certainly better than a day at work. The campground and facilities were nice and we'll now be adding French Creek to our local campground rotation.

Here's our minute and a half video recap of the trip

And a link to Sandie's full blog post about the trip
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread
6 REPLIES 6

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you!!! That baffled me, but would have been awesome for hanging a lantern if I had one;)

pasusan wrote:
RVcircus wrote:
The trails really are awesome! I think the available activities in the park are what makes it stand out to us (and it doesn't hurt that it's only a 40 minute drive).

Does anyone know what the metal poles/hook on each site are for?

fitznj wrote:
I've been to French Creek several times - usually "out of season", so probably only 10 sites occupied. I love that park, I go mainly for the mountain bike trails (which are sensational). The only part I don't like is the steep hill leading up to the sites - towing a TT up that hill seems to really tax the TV.

Lot's of activities during the summer, kayak, lake, Hopewell Furnace.....
Hanging a lantern. ๐Ÿ™‚

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
RVcircus wrote:
The trails really are awesome! I think the available activities in the park are what makes it stand out to us (and it doesn't hurt that it's only a 40 minute drive).

fitznj wrote:
I've been to French Creek several times - usually "out of season", so probably only 10 sites occupied. I love that park, I go mainly for the mountain bike trails (which are sensational). The only part I don't like is the steep hill leading up to the sites - towing a TT up that hill seems to really tax the TV.

Hanging a lantern. ๐Ÿ™‚

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II

fitznj wrote:

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer

Gerry

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
The fire ring behind the trailer was strange, but it really didn't bother me much. There were only a few RV's there when we went, so maybe we got lucky or you were unlucky. We have friends that have been camping there for 15 years and love the place. It's certainly not the greatest, but we'll give it another shot in the spring. I used to mountain bike there and the trails are great!

RGar974417 wrote:
French Creek is one of my least favorite state parks. Sites are close together and tables and fire rings are behind trailers instead of next to them. We had neighbors who came with 2 kids and a dog who got into a fight.Lot's of swearing and threatening behavior. I went to find a ranger and when I did,he didn't seem too concerned. We left and never went back.It does have a nice lake and Hopewell Village National Historic site is next door.But IMO,the campground stinks.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
French Creek is one of my least favorite state parks. Sites are close together and tables and fire rings are behind trailers instead of next to them. We had neighbors who came with 2 kids and a dog who got into a fight.Lot's of swearing and threatening behavior. I went to find a ranger and when I did,he didn't seem too concerned. We left and never went back.It does have a nice lake and Hopewell Village National Historic site is next door.But IMO,the campground stinks.