cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

General Sherman Giant Tree

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
In about a month we'll be leaving MN and heading to the General Sherman giant Sequoia tree in California. Our route will travel south out of MN on I35 until we intersect I80 in Iowa where we'll head west on I80. We'll travel west to the Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve in Colorado near Alamosa. Next we'll head west to drive through Monument Valley in Utah and head south to the Grand Canyon in AZ. The route is flexible. Please advise us on places to camp along the way, RV parks, campgrounds etc. and things to see and do. After visiting the giant tree we'll head for the wine country north of San Francisco. All of your recommendations will be carefully considered. Thank you.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
17 REPLIES 17

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gouldings RV park in Monument Valley is a good stopping place. FHU and they have tours hosted by native Americans that take you on land and to sights that is otherwise not accessible to the general public.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
agesilaus wrote:
The General Sherman Tree is fine but Yosemite has several stands of sequoia, maybe not as big but still very big and a lot more fantastic things to see. Its also a lot easier to get to that park. That late in the year you should be able to get in, the escapee have a cg right outside the park, think it's called the Park of the Sierras - Escapees Park in Coasegold.
Great Sand Dunes has a good cg in the park, no hookups. You did not specify what sort of cg you want. There are many places to visit in the Monument Valley area, Cortez CO makes a good base camp for that area. There is one good cg that I don't have the name for now. But Mesa Verde, Trail of the Ancients, Natural Bridges, Canyonlands and a lot more are all near there.

If you make it that far, go to both. Sequoia NP is awesome. I have no idea what you mean about easier to get to...if anything Yosmite is more difficult but really neither is a big challenge.

To the OP: Based on your post, I assume NP and the like are a priority:
- Consider on the way out, going north across I-80 so you can hit Rocky Mountain NP, then Dinosaur NM before swinging south thru Bryce NP and Zion NP. Then you can hit the N. Rim of Grand Canyon NP. Swing by Death Valley NP.
- On the return consider your original route (It's further south so better for later in the season.

How long do you have? We did a similar trip at the same time last year. Also hit Joshua Tree, Congaree and several National Monuments but we had all winter.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The General Sherman Tree is fine but Yosemite has several stands of sequoia, maybe not as big but still very big and a lot more fantastic things to see. Its also a lot easier to get to that park. That late in the year you should be able to get in, the escapee have a cg right outside the park, think it's called the Park of the Sierras - Escapees Park in Coasegold.
Great Sand Dunes has a good cg in the park, no hookups. You did not specify what sort of cg you want. There are many places to visit in the Monument Valley area, Cortez CO makes a good base camp for that area. There is one good cg that I don't have the name for now. But Mesa Verde, Trail of the Ancients, Natural Bridges, Canyonlands and a lot more are all near there.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper