cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gerald Ford Museum in Grand Rapids MI camping?

John_S2
Explorer
Explorer
My DW and I plan to drive from Chicago area to Grand Rapids to visit the Gerald Ford Presidential Museum in the later part of June. We drive and stay in a 24' class C rig without a toad.

Any suggestions for camping in the area and other things we should plan on doing and/or seeing while in the area would be appreciated.

Figure we might go further North in MI after visiting the Museum.

We do not have any reservations at this time so we may be out of luck with some of the nice State Parks that we usually like to enjoy.

Does anyone know if the Wal-Marts in the MI area are RV friendly for overnight stays?

TIA, John S
John & Peg S.
99 Coachman Class C - 24ft
6 REPLIES 6

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only the Walmart on 196 is clear for ONP, I don't know of others as GR is a pass-thru for us. The other two Wally's on the north and southwest are both NOPs.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Irover
Explorer
Explorer
John S wrote:
My DW and I plan to drive from Chicago area to Grand Rapids to visit the Gerald Ford Presidential Museum in the later part of June. We drive and stay in a 24' class C rig without a toad.

Any suggestions for camping in the area and other things we should plan on doing and/or seeing while in the area would be appreciated.

Figure we might go further North in MI after visiting the Museum.

We do not have any reservations at this time so we may be out of luck with some of the nice State Parks that we usually like to enjoy.

Does anyone know if the Wal-Marts in the MI area are RV friendly for overnight stays?

TIA, John S
AllStalys.com for Waqlmarts and more!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Woodchip Campground on the south side is more convenient to the museum but it's a fairly basic place carved out out of the suburbs. Nice enough but nothing special.

I would go over to Holland/Grand Haven/Muskegon. Great coastal state parts about 20-30minutes from the museum.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I were you, I would try to get a campsite someplace around Grand Haven, Spring Lake, Holland area . It is only about a 30-45 minute drive to GR and the museum. There are many many private parks over that way if you can't get into a state park. You could review possibilities at www.michigan.org, or on rvparkreviews.com by city.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
I Googled Grand Rapids MI camping and found this map. There are a dozen or so private campgrounds in the immediate area.

As for the state parks, they are mostly reserved, but people cancel all the time.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
good question ,I,m in ohio and would like to visit there too.