cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Park near Louisville, KY

MiMi2
Explorer
Explorer
We are making plans to attend the 2016 Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs in Louisville, Ky.
Looking for a good RV park with FULL hookups (electricity, water and sewer) within reasonable distance of the town.
Any recommendations??
Thanks!
27 REPLIES 27

jeb5
Explorer
Explorer
mikem1945 wrote:
Grandma"s is a nic clean park and low cost have stayed there several times

Excellent Park and very convenient.
Ford F-350, 6.7 Diesel, 4x4, Long Bed
Newmar Kountry Star 5th Wheel

mikem1945
Explorer
Explorer
Grandma"s is a nic clean park and low cost have stayed there several times
MMiller
2005 Starwood SL 29ft RKS FW
2004 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab Duramax

MiMi2
Explorer
Explorer
stevewise wrote:
If you book early you can get full hook ups at the convention center 1 mile from the Derby, we stayed there last year, they also run a shuttle to the Derby.

Thanks! Made reservations at the Kentucky Exposition Center. The person taking the reservation said I would have no problem getting full hook-up (electricity, water and sewer) if I showed up a week before the Derby. Plan to spend a full week there.

Thanks to all for the help!!!

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
jimj wrote:
The Clarksville Walmart has put up signs that say NO OVERNIGHT PARKING OF TRUCKS OR RVS. I saw it yesterday.

JimJ
actually clarksville has had a no overnight parking ordinance for years even before they got big. i always heard the koa got that when cw had a store there several years ago next door to them.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

jimj
Explorer
Explorer
The Clarksville Walmart has put up signs that say NO OVERNIGHT PARKING OF TRUCKS OR RVS. I saw it yesterday.

JimJ

rlhoge
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest, as mentioned earlier, Add More. It's in Clarksville, IN. We've stayed there three times, although not during Derby week. Easy access to the Interstate and close to Walmart...HEY, try the Clarksville Walmart, maybe they allow dry camping. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Other's opinions may vary, but I've attended the Derby twice. Once in the infield, and once in the stands. If you actually want to see the horses run, watch it on TV. There are so many people, you can't get close to the infield rail and in the grandstands, as soon as the derby horses come onto the track, everyone stands up and remains standing. Your chances of being behind a 7 foot tall, 300 pound man or a lady wearing a hat the size of a two person tent, are excellent. And you'll pay at least $60 for a general admission ticket at the gate, and that doesn't guarantee a seat, so you'll be standing for a long time. If memory serves, the actual Derby is the seventh of eight races on Derby day. And if you need to use the restroom, get in line an hour or two before you actually need one.
Finally, the last time a buddy of mine and I attended, we were early enough to get an empty spot to park the car on a side street. Some guys met us and "sold us" their promise to see that our car wasn't damaged while we were gone all day. We felt like they would be the guys doing the damage if we didn't pay, so we paid. Extortion, pure and simple.
The one problem you won't have is getting out of town after the races are over, since you'll be in a nearby RV park. The crowd arrives throughout the day, but they all leave at the same time.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Dick_A
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RV'ing forum.
2009 Tiffin 43QBP Allegro Bus
RoadMaster Sterling Tow Bar
US Gear UTB
Ford Explorer Sport Toad
WA7MXP
"Pisqually" the attack kitty :B

ddndoug
Explorer
Explorer
A little further but the Jellystone in Scottsburg, IN is nice.

Jellystone Scottsburg, IN

Doug
2009 Four Winds Hurricane 33T
F53 Ford Chassis w/Triton V-10

Bill_B-67
Explorer
Explorer
Two Rivers in Carrollton Ky & Follow the River RV Resort in Florence IN, both are Full Hookups & very nice & clean.
2013 GMC Sierra 1500
2015 Kodiak 283BHSL

MrWizard
Shadow57 wrote:
Thanks for the pictures Dutchmen Sport, I sure didn't realize the spots are so close together in regular camping. Horse sites are much better.

I do think Charlestown State Park would be a good choice also and a little closer. I also forgot about the Clark State Forest in Henryville, IN. I don't know about utilities. Derby week the selection may be limited.

That's not Deam Lake
Those are pictures of Louisville metro koa
don't mean to be confusing
the post directly above is Charlestown st park
the post with the TT close together looks like the metro KOA
Deam lake is all spread out with lots of trees and many deer
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
jessjosh61 wrote:
Charlestown State Park in Southern Indiana is probably the best choice if you like the State Park atmosphere. Some sites have full hookups.

September 2013 we stayed at Charlestown State Park. Here's a couple photos of our camp site. To answer the "concern" above, most KOA campgrounds are "tighter" than State Parks. Sometimes you'll find one that's spread out, but in my experiences, not too many. Private campgrounds are diversified, but usually smaller than most state park camping spots in Indiana.

For what it's worth, if you camp at an Indiana State Recreation area, the camp sites are usually pretty large and spaced out. Reason is, there is adequate parking for an RV, a boat with trailer, and an automobile or a toad. We really enjoy the State Recreation areas because of this.

Anyway, here's Charleston. This was our first maiden voyage with our Outback in 2013. We picked an open site (no trees), so we could use our DISH-TV satalite,which worked great. There are LOTS of other sites that are 100% shaded. Really a nice park.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
General Butler State Resort Park is about half way between Cincinnati & Louisville. A nice park with HU's not sure if FHU. Is a state park, not a RV park. Nice.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

stevewise
Explorer
Explorer
If you book early you can get full hook ups at the convention center 1 mile from the Derby, we stayed there last year, they also run a shuttle to the Derby. There is also a KOA in Shepardsville stayed there for 6 months, about 20 min to the Derby.
'15 Sierra 377FLIK
'14 Ford F350 SRW King Ranch
DW and Cricket the Chihuahua