cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Got a few questions on the U.P.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, so I have tentative plans for a trip to the UP next summer, mid to the end of July. We want to check out Pictured Rocks and Grand Island. We will be staying at Munising Tourist Park Campground on Lake Superior. Where exactly does Pictured Rocks start and end? It looks like it goes from just east of Munising to just south of Grand Marais? are there any hikes to scenic overlooks of Pictured Rocks? we will either do a boat tour and/or kayak/boat rental, not sure what we want to do yet. any advice on this?

Also what are the best hikes for seeing waterfalls?

Is there anything else that I`m missing for things to see and do in the area?

I`ve been looking forward to this trip for a long time!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
19 REPLIES 19

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kitch-iti-kipi. It is small, but don't miss it.
Link here.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just a little update. I just reserved the last lake front site (#12) at Munising Tourist Park Campground! I wanted to stay over the 4th of July, but all the sites were booked. So I had to switch around my travel plans and go to Hayward WI first for the 4th and then up to Munising. Can't wait!

And yes I am seriously considering renting a pontoon boat.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

far733
Explorer
Explorer
I second renting a pontoon to check out Pictured Rocks. We did an all day rental and made a day of it. We were able to view the rocks at our own leisure and stop to swim, have a picnic, and check out other sites. I'd recommend taking the drive down Highway 58 from Munising to Grand Marais. There are a lot of cool sites to check out along the way. Grand Marais is quite the quaint little town. We camped there had an amazing time!

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on the Porcupine S.P. Trails
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

summerhouse
Explorer
Explorer
I was thinking the same thing Parrothead Mike. The hiking along Presque Isle River is so extremely beautiful! We packed a picnic lunch that we enjoyed where the river flows out into the lake last summer!
โ€œLight hearted I take to the open roadโ€ฆ Healthy, free, the world before meโ€ฆ The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.โ€ - Walt Whitman

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Since the OP mentioned going through the U.P. on his way toward Wisconsin and that they enjoyed hikes they should check out Porcupine Mountains State Park. There are several nice short hikes and you will often find waterfalls. One of my favorite hikes is at the south end of the park (58,000 acres!) along the Presque Isle River. There is a rustic campground near there, but hiking both sides of the river, along the falls and virgin forest, is so beautiful that you'll shoot dozens of photos. Union Bay Campground is at the north end of the park, but it's a good drive from the Presque Isle River up to that end of the park.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

rmnpcolorado
Explorer
Explorer
We did this trip this last September, and Pictured Rocks was the highlight of our trip. You MUST do the cruise, it was awesome and the best way to see the sights. We drove the length of the park, checking out the national campgrounds as well. I thought they were quite nice, but no facilities of course. We drove past the Tourist Campground you mentioned - I must I say I was less than impressed, but maybe that style "camping" is your thing.

Just note though, we found that the UP is a VERY remote area, moreso than we even expected. Everything is 20 miles apart, and there literally is nothing in between. Then there's a little burb, and then another 20 miles before the next blip on the map. If you want remote and relaxing, this trip is it. We enjoyed being off the grid immensely (literally. Our NF campground we stayed at in between Munising and Manistique had electricity, but we had no cell coverage whatsoever!). It was GREAT!
2020 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Max Tow
2023 Riverside RV Intrepid 240BHi

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone! sounds like the perfect area. we have been to Mackinac Island and Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground. This time we are driving up the west side of Lake Michigan and going all the way up into the U.P.! I wanted to do the Apostle Islands, but it is a bit out of the way because we want to do some rafting on the Wolf River on the way home.

Keep the info coming!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Some of this is on the way and not in the area. Lake Superior is an incredible body of water.

The glass bottom boat isn't the most exciting thing but I enjoyed it. There is a history of ore shipments on Lake Superior and how many were lost in storms.

Tour

Find your way onto Miners road that takes you out to the north east side of Miners Rock and Miners River. Go on a hot day and swim off the beach on huge boulders to the left side of the beach and the NE side of Miners Rock. It's always cold but 15 or 20 feet of crystal clear water and rippled sand bottom.

There are hiking trails that may be called Mosquito Falls. It's been many years so I cant remember but they are probably south west of Miners Rock and off of road 695. The shoreline is shallow water over an all rock area and then drops off to about 40 feet deep. There were large lake trout swimming around at the bottom. I had snorkel and fins with me. Yes the water is ALWAYS cold, it's Lake Superior. The path we took was about a 7 mile hike.

The beaches along US2 when heading west from St Ignace are nice.

There is a pull off on the west side of the Cut River Bridge on hwy US2 that is nice. Good swimming spot.

Climb Castle Rock in St Ignace.

I like the boat ride from St Ignace to Mackinac Island even if I didn't go to the Island.

If on the island, the Pink Pony has good food and great long island ice tea.

If you take the boat from St Ignace to the Island, check the schedule as some trips go out under the bridge before heading to the island.

At times and in certain areas the black flies and skeeters are horrendous. I have never had a problem with them in the Pictured Rocks area. I have experienced them along Superior west of Whitefish point. It just depends. Go prepared.

Grand Marais is nice. Very picturesque and many will kayak on the bay at times.

luvztheoutdoor1
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto the Visitors Center in Munising!
Linda
Scout, 10 year old Husky/Shepherd
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can do Copper Country as a couple of day trips from Houghton. Nice municipal CG on the Portage Canal and watch the NPS boat leave for Isle Royal (or take the boat out and back).

See the Quincy Hoist & Mine Museum; The preserved mining towns with some interesting gift shops; and Copper Harbor.

As somebody else mentioned, don't miss the Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point. (Out of the way at the East end, but worth it.)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

summerhouse
Explorer
Explorer
There are dozens of waterfalls in the area surrounding Munising. There is also a Visitor Center in Munising that has TONS of information on EVERYTHING in the area.mthey have listings and maps of waterfalls. There are some fantastic hiking trails and beautiful trails to many of the waterfalls. The Pictured Rocks boat tour needs to be done at least once by everyone. It offers the best, and mostly the only true views of the beauty and grandeur of the Pictured Rocks. There are indeed pontoon rentals and kayak rentals to enjoy the Grand Island area. There is also a ferry to Grand Island and a vehicle tour of the island.
Mill Creek Campground at Mackinaw City allows for exploring Mackinaw Island and surrounding area. Also a couple nice campgrounds on the St. Ignace side. Brimley Stae Park is a nice on too.
Great campground at Grand Marais, though a little tight in some areas. They don't take reservations however, it is on a first come basis.
Muskellunge State Park is real nice, also Van Riper State Park. Munising City Tourist Park is a great stay for that entire area.
We spend a month in the U.P. Every summer. We love it there.
โ€œLight hearted I take to the open roadโ€ฆ Healthy, free, the world before meโ€ฆ The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.โ€ - Walt Whitman

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
As someone that has done all of that, I will suggest that you study the areas carefully. Yes, There is Munising and Tahquamenon falls - upper and lower - and about a dozen others. And a lot of scenery, but don't miss the locks at Sault Saint Marie. There are two great campgrounds just down the road.
When you get to town, drop someone at the locks visitor center first and see when traffic will be there. There is a really nice "peanut galley" where you can sit and watch them flush 1000ft long ships to the lower lakes, but you have to be there when they are.
On you way to the locks from the campground is the Valley Camp, a museum ship that is a great stop. Then, there is a series of markers along WaterStreet that the kids will have a good time reading (they go east to west).
The tower is not all that great and the River of History is closed on Sundays.
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Mich_upnorth
Explorer
Explorer
Another option if you don't want to do the boat tour. Is to rent a pontoon boat from seaburgs and go out on your own for a half or whole day. With that you can go where you want and stop if you want to investigate something. You will have to reserve in advance as they are popular. I think they have 5 or 6 boats available to rent.
Bob
Bob & Barb
2019 F-150 Ecoboost Lariat Crewcab
2014 Coachman Catalina 30RLS
ProPride hitch