cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Canyon stay inside/outside of park?

wjmblm
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon in mid-September of this year.
We were going to make Williams our base and then just drive into the park. It was suggested that we stay inside the park on the South Rim.
I would like to know what the more expressed travelers would suggest.
If we stay in Williams we are looking at either the โ€˜Grand Canyon Railway RV Parkโ€™ or the โ€˜Canyon Motel & RV Parkโ€™. Any comments on these two RV parks would be appreciated.
If we stay inside the park on the South Rim. What campground would you suggest? And is there a shuttle from the campground to the Visitor Center.
We have a 37โ€™ Pace Arrow motorhome.

Thanks for any and all advice and suggestions,
William & Belinda Moore
2000 Pace Arrow Motohome
30 REPLIES 30

olanwade
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy your stay at the Grand Canyon. Look forward to hearing how your trip went when you get back.

I have visited the park, both north and south rims, numerous times over the past 30 years I've resided in AZ. I have to agree the north rim is the best part of the park. But, the south rim has a lot to offer. I recommend the rim trail. It's a fairly level trail, paved, with rest areas (benches) and water along the trail. You'll probably get a view of one of the California Condors along the way. Great photo ops along the trail. The trail also provides a great geological story of the canyon.

I was there in June (did a 4 day backpacking hike down to Bright Angel campground) and they had a very interesting presentation at the Kolb studio near the Bright Angel trailhead. I'd also take the shuttle out to Hermit's Rest and see the great old fireplace. A lot to see - enjoy!

Olan
Olan Wade
Gilbert, AZ

scarpi
Explorer
Explorer
If you are making a long trip to really see the Grand Canyon, I recommend also including the North Rim of the canyon. It does require a long drive around the canyon to get there but there are less people and it is at a higher elevation than the south rim. I believe it is close to 9000 feet. Very beautiful especially in the fall with the aspen trees. Either way, enjoy the canyon!

wjmblm
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the information.
We were able to get into Trailer Village on the dates we wanted.
Sept. 22 - 25, 2013.
If any of you going to be in that area, stop by.
Look for a Pace Arrow with an American Flag and the Good Sam plaque on the back.
Thanks again,
William & Belinda Moore
2000 Pace Arrow Motohome

momo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi there,
I currently live in Grand Canyon Village and I also do not think that Trailer Village is a dump. BTW, they will be redoing the roads and pads this fall, so some sites will be closed at different times. I have used Mather when travelig with my Casita. But here is another walk through. This time of Trailer Village.

Once again find me on youtube grandcanyonjoe@gmail.com or

http://youtu.be/farJYElZmvg

Happy travels
The road leads ever on and on . . .
fulltiming since August 2005

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
First I qualify that we have been to the South Rim at least 6 or 7 times; and we stayed at Trailer Village. We are too big for Mather.

In all due respect, it is not a "dump". Could it use some fixing up? Yes, but they also have the problem of demand for it nearly full all year round. It gets a lot of use.

But you go to the Grand Canyon for what reason? To see the Grand Canyon.

If you want a hokey train ride from Williams to spend a couple of hours midday at the South Rim when the colors are all washed out by the sun; then do it. Or drive 1 1/4 or more hours from Williams, wait in line to get in, find a parking place and spend a couple of hours midday, etc. Then do it. In these cases you can tell everyone you have BEEN to the Grand Canyon - but you have not SEEN it. To see the color and shadows and true beauty you need to see sunrises and sunsets - simple as that.

We have never had leveling or hookup issues at Trailer Village. And they are pull thru.

I and DW have hiked and done photo work there for years.

Just make up your mind what is important to you and make your decision from there.

And enjoy one of God's greatest creations.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

CT_WANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to check to see if there are open site in the NP for when you plan on being there? We went last year without reservations near the end of September, I has to cut my stay short due to sites being booked. First time I ran into that problem. I do everything on the fly.

olanwade
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Village at the south rim is a dump. I wouldn't recommend staying there at all. If staying in the park I prefer Mather, but it won't accommodate large RVs (I have a 26 ft TT and its about as large as I would want to take into Mather). Also doesn't have hook-ups (if that's important to you).

I would recommend the GC Railway (the train.com). It is ~$40 a night, but is very clean, has all the amenities, an easy walk to downtown Williams for food, grocery store (Safeway), etc., and a good location to see the GCNP, Flagstaff, and surrounding areas. They also give a Good Sam discount.

You can use your toad to drive to the canyon. Once there park near the Back Country office and your a short walk to the rim, Maswick Lodge, Kolb Studio, Bright Angel trailhead, and of course the shuttle stops. You can take the shuttle to the main visitor center, Hermits Rest, and other points within the park.

Enjoy the GCNP. I just did two hikes overnighting in the canyon and recently visited the north rim. It's a great place to visit.

Olan - Gilbert AZ
Olan Wade
Gilbert, AZ

Farmer_David
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Circle Pines in Williams when we was there, but If I was going back I would defiantly stay in the park
2013 F450 King Ranch CC Long Box
60 Gal RDS Tank
20K B&W OEM Hitch
2013 Lifestyle 37IK

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
Can't imagine why Trailer Village isn't the no-brainer choice every time on this question. You're there to see the canyon. Your trailer is right there. What am I missing? Just how important are aesthetics to this discussion? Ammenities? How's this for ammenities: the shuttle pulls right up to a stop within walking distance of your home on wheels. Each to his own, but for me staying next to the canyon was a huge bonus.

You answered your own question; to each his own.:S

l001952119
Explorer
Explorer
wjmblm wrote:
We thank everyone for there comments and suggestions.
It looks like we will be calling to see if we can get into Trailer Village.
Thanks again,
Willie & Belinda Moore

You can reserve 13 months in advance of your arrival day, per the park web site!

wjmblm
Explorer
Explorer
We thank everyone for there comments and suggestions.
It looks like we will be calling to see if we can get into Trailer Village.
Thanks again,
Willie & Belinda Moore
2000 Pace Arrow Motohome

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can't imagine why Trailer Village isn't the no-brainer choice every time on this question. You're there to see the canyon. Your trailer is right there. What am I missing? Just how important are aesthetics to this discussion? Ammenities? How's this for ammenities: the shuttle pulls right up to a stop within walking distance of your home on wheels. Each to his own, but for me staying next to the canyon was a huge bonus.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed in the GC Rail Road RV Resort which is a large asphalt parking lot with full h'ups. It's right in downtown Williams; in fact you can walk to the grocery store and local restaurants. We rode the train to the canyon which was an uninspired ride up and back but while at the canyon we were impressed. Reserve canyon train ride tickets/rv site at the same time if you decide to stay there. From Williams we drove over to Las Vegas and prowled around for awhile so Williams is a good base.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
The average length of stay at the South Rim is 3 hours. If that's you I'd take the train out of Williams. Very enjoyable trip.

Just wondering where you got that information....

We would recommend that you stay IN the park at Trailer Village. The free shuttle bus stops at the entrance and you can ride it all day long getting on and off wherever you want. The park is not all about strenuous hiking. The Rim Trail is delightful and goes on for miles along the bus route. You'll see fabulous scenery on a fairly flat trail and you can hop on the bus when you get tired. There are many choices for fine dining or casual. There are ranger presentations to attend and to be there when the crowds have thinned out in early morning or at dusk is quite an experience and to really experience the canyon will take more than 3 hours. Have a great trip!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel