cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Great Lakes

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning a trip to Nova Scotia this year to see the fall colors. My route will take me right by the Great Lakes. I would really appreciate any information on which of the great lakes are a must see. I must admit the whole area looks beautiful on the searches I have done but I just don't have the time to see them all. So anyone that has seen them I would greatly appreciate your opinions.

With Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
Take US2 to Bemidji MN and see the headwaters of the Mississippi River in Itasca State Park. Then go up Hwy 61 along Lake Superior to Two Harbors. Stay at the Burlington Bay Campground City of Two Harbors. The new section is terraced and has a slight view of Lake Superior. You can take the beautiful drive up Hwy 61 to the Canadian border in your toad. Soo Locks in Sault St Marie is interesting. Take a road trip up to Paradise MI to Whitefish Point where the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum has a display about the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. Down through Michigan to Mackinaw City. We stayed at Millcreek campground there. Then Niagara Falls is a must. It took us 2 days to see everything. We stayed at Branches of Niagara.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
A pleasant drive and one that we have done is to take Hwy 2 across into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Along the way plan a stop at Fort Peck, Montana which has a beautiful campground. You'll have an opportunity to see some of Lake Superior and Lake Michigan. Head up to the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point just north of Paradise, Michigan. Lots of neat history. Along the way you could also make a stop at St. Ignace or Mackinaw City, Michigan and from either place take the ferry for a day trip to Mackinac Island. (Yes, there are two different spellings of these but they're both pronounced Mackinaw.)
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The L. Superior shoreline in MN, from Duluth to the Canada line, is especially nice. Many waterfalls, good views of the lake, a high overlook at the Palisades, and Artist's Point at Grand Marais. Granted, this may be a bit of a detour for you, but it's a destination all its own.

In Michigan, the Porcupine Mountains SP (they're hills, really) is nice, as is McLain SP (right on the water). The drive along the north tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula, Eagle River to Copper Harbor, is scenic. You'll see the lake around Munising, and the Pictured Rocks boat tour is (expensive but) worthwhile. If you then move south to US-2, try to stop at Palms Book SP and see Kitchi-Ti-Kipi, the Big Spring. You'll see some more lakeshore around Manistique and again as you approach St. Ignace. Then prepare to be amazed by the Mackinaw Bridge crossing.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
I live in Cleveland, and trust me, it's not boring. That being said, if you've never visited the great lakes you have to go to the UP and check out Lake Superior. Pictured Rocks, Whitefish Point, Union Bay CG near the Porcupine Mountains. Plus, there's quite a few great waterfalls to enjoy http://gowaterfalling.com/waterfalls/maps/statemichigan.shtml

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
A few years ago we crossed over into Canada at Port Huron, MI and into Sarnia.

On the recommendation of friends who live in Ontario, we may reservations at Fifty Point Conservation Area near Hamiton. We spent a most delightful few days there. Our friends came out in their RV and "camped" with us. We made an easy drive over to Niagara Falls for our first (and still only) visit there.

It's just one spot, but very nice one along the southern shore of Lake Ontario.

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
or you could take the ferry across lake michigan and see niagra falls from canada side before going on to novia scotia

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Superior. Take the drive along the southern shore. Make sure you drive up through pictures rocks to grand marais, then back down to 28. Then catch whitefish bay scenic byway

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I rather agree with bid_time; the lakes themselves are, well, great big lakes, large expanses of water.

There are plenty of fine things to see in the region. Niagara Falls is an obvious example, if somewhat commercialized. There are quit a few cities with fine museums and cultural institutions, many lovely state parks, some pretty roadways along the shoreline, some amusement parks....

I think it would be fun to take the SS Badger across Lake Michigan (and doubly so to avoid driving around Chicago). It's not especially inexpensive, though.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I would just watch the weather VERY carefully if you are going in the fall. Nothing is fun and/or safe around the Great Lakes when it starts to snow.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
If you are interested in crossing the border, take the Trans Canada highway around Lake Superior or go thru Michigan and cross at the SOO and take the Trans Canada from there. Great places to see/stay on the Canadian side: Lake Superior Provincial Park, Killarney Provincial Park, Algonquin Provincial Park. The Trans Canada will take you to Ottawa (our capital, which has great museums like the Smithsonian but not as big) and on to Montreal on your way east where you can continue east along the St Lawrence Seaway to New Brunswick to Nova Scotia.
Lots of great drives with great scenery along the top of Superior, the Ottawa valley, the St Lawrence Seaway etc... No offence meant but much of the area around Lake Erie and Lake Ontario (on both sides of the border) to be quite boring, trust me I live there:). Taking the Trans Canada side will allow you to go around the boring.
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Presque Isle, PA, Lake Chautauqua, Lake Erie State park, golden Hill st park, my. Hamlin st park, association island KOA, Krieg Is , 1000 islands, ny, ! Worth a look.
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Big Time that's a great help.

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, the Soo Locks, Sleeping Bear dunes, sunset anywhere over Lake Michigan, or sunrise anywhere over Lake Huron. Other than that, all 5 lakes are basically the same, a big body of water.

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
3 are great. 2 are average. All are salt free
That's too funny thanks. With help like that who needs a travel guide ha ha ha you made my day. ๐Ÿ™‚