cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Great Sand Dunes National Park Availability

acsimon
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a short stay at the Great Sand Dunes National Park around the 18th of April I noticed that during this period the National Park campground (Pinon Flats) only has "walkup availability". No reservable sites. Wondering if anyone has any comment about the chances of getting a site for a late afternoon arrival?
10 REPLIES 10

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
We stayed at Alamosa KOA and while it's just a grassy parking lot, there are nice folks running it. Least, there were in '08. We hit the Dunes on the way through the next day. Really is a remarkable site.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
IDman wrote:
Normally, when a Colorado website says walkup only, it means the CG doesn't have any service open yet, such as water, toilets, trash removal.

Not necessarily. When checking on Colorado State's park website for a campground I find that walk-up only means that no reservations are being taken but all services may be available. This usually occurs in fall when the crowds are gone before the park begins shutting down but could also happen in the spring.

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
If all else fails, there is a nice little FHU RV Park - Blanco RV Park - in "downtown" Blanco on HWY 160 west just a short distance from the road that goes to Sand Dunes off 160. Open year round.
It is a PA park (1/2 price if member).
Visit the old fort at Fort Garland. 4 miles east of Blanco. Very interesting.
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Early season or late season when reservations are not available is a good indication that the CG, wherever it is, is nowhere near capacity.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the campground site. Note that it states Loop 1 is first come April through October. Loop 2 is reservable only May 8 through Sept 2.

I doubt there would be many campers during April so reservations aren't needed.

Great Sand Dunes NP Camping
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
rv2go wrote:
When we visited, we could not get a site inside the Park.
We stayed just outside the gate at Great Sand Dunes Oasis.

This is a very doable alternative, with full hookups available; Pinon Flats CG inside the NP has no hookups. There's 2 loops there inside the NP, one is always first come/first served (Loop 1) and Loop2 has reserved sites. The season for both starts on April 1, my guess is it won't be overly busy at Pinon Flats in the park in April, especially if you arrive during the week. Stayed many years ago at Great Sand Dunes Oasis, sites are nice, but the one thing that sticks out in my mind about that experience was the horrific black flies in the area! As I recall, we were there in the spring, so keep that in mind for that entire area there, and be prepared!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
The CG is probably not open at that time of year because of weather. Normally, when a Colorado website says walkup only, it means the CG doesn't have any service open yet, such as water, toilets, trash removal. You can stay there IF the weather is okay and you don't expect any service.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't know why you need reservations that time of year. We were there last April and it was snowing so hard in Alamosa that we returned to the Alamosa KOA and tried Wolf Pass the next day. The day before it was cooool but sunny and the dunes were fun. Even though it has been dry, the weather is changeable that time of year.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
When we visited, we could not get a site inside the Park.
We stayed just outside the gate at Great Sand Dunes Oasis.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't get a site there, San Luis State Park is right around the corner (so to speak) and even has some sites with views of the sand dunes. The sites there are much larger and more spread out than GSD and include electric hook-ups.
http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/Parks/Sanluis
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road