Have you ever camped in a cemetery??

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking for information on Rv'ing here in NJ, and came upon this webpage:

http://www.rv-camping.org/newjersey/

Here's a list of low cost places to RV - LOL:

Free and Low Cost RV Camping Ideas In New Jersey

Here's a list of places to consider when looking for a free overnight RV camping or parking location in New Jersey. We always recommend asking for overnight RV parking permission when looking for a free spot to spend the night. The smaller your RV, the better chances you will have finding places to stay if you choose not to ask permission. If you don't ask permission, you end up "sneaking" into places and hoping nobody bothers you or issues you a trespassing ticket before you move on. Be smart and Be Safeโ€ฆAsk Permission.

Truck Stops โ€“ Asking permission is usually not a requirement Be considerate of the big rigs!

Walmart โ€“ Not all stores allow overnight RV parking in New Jersey due to city ordinances. Check store for policy.

Nightclubs โ€“ Had one too many or just pretending?

Grain Elevators โ€“ Ask where you can park your RV out of the way for the night.

Fraternal Organizations โ€“ VFW, Elks etc. may allow members free overnight RV camping.

Cemetery โ€“ Sounds creepy to us, but we've also heard they may have water available.

Fairgrounds โ€“ State and County facilities may allow RV camping when not otherwise in use.

Parks โ€“ City, County, State, and Community parks often have free RV camping.

Churches โ€“ You can almost make "reservations" by calling ahead for permission.

Hotel Parking Lots โ€“ Assuming a nightclub/bar is inside, had one too many or just pretending?

Truck Terminals โ€“ Parking areas for large trucks might allow you free RV camping permission.

RV Dealers โ€“ Pretty brave to us, but you could fit right in.

Cracker Barrel โ€“ These nationwide restaurants usually allow free overnight RV parking.

Movie Theaters โ€“ Too tired to drive home after the late show?

Highway Rest Areas โ€“ All rest areas allow a few hours of free RV parking, but noisy.

Drive In Movies โ€“ Got a small RV, park in the back row and enjoy the show. Fell asleep by accident right?

Vehicle Repair Shops โ€“ Need to see the repairman first thing in the morning?

Big Box Retailers โ€“ Kmart, Best Buy, Sams Club often allow free RV camping.

Roadside Parks & Picnic Areas โ€“ The early day version of the rest area.

As you can see, there are a lot of free RV camping and parking possibilities in New Jersey. If you are not asking permission, it's best to keep a very low profile. If your RV has slide outs, jacks and TV antennas, don't use them so as not to draw attention to yourself. Consider your surroundings carefully and if you feel uncomfortable with the area, move somewhere else.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?
51 REPLIES 51

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
It stated that if you're a member of the Elks you can camp free. However, there's a listing of Elks that allow that, and most all charge a fee if I recall.
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I actually camp at least one, more often two weekends a year at a cemetery. Probably 300 graves dating from 1806 to last month, everyone of them blood to me. We gather as a family to maintain the yard and pay respects to our elders. Nothing eerie disrespectful or creepy about being with family! It's just continuity!
My self, a brother and a cousin are in Rv,s, most of the rest still live on the original land.

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
No way, I would never camp in a cemetery.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
crudeman wrote:
darsben wrote:
When I was young we went to the cemetery with girls to do things but it WAS not camping

Talk about trespassing ! :E :B

Yep been there done that. No one is going come knocking on your fogged up windows while your bumping uglys in the back seat
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
juice0000 wrote:
There's a cg in Ludington, Mi that hasa chain link fence dividing it from the cemetery. People tent camp all along the fence.
Too close for me!
Look on the bright side, if you don't wake up they don't have to haul your carcass very far.:B

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
camping in a cemetery? no way are we doing that.
I want some place hopping and alive, not dead and boring! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Tjuice
Explorer
Explorer
There's a cg in Ludington, Mi that hasa chain link fence dividing it from the cemetery. People tent camp all along the fence.
Too close for me!

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never camped in a cemetery, but a lot of people do sleep there
๐Ÿ˜‰
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've camped in a few CG's over the years that were a lot more DEAD than in a cemetary. They hadn't done any maintenance for maybe years, roads terrible and/or mucky clay gravel or just dirt and the sites were akin to a buggy swamp, all the grass needed cutting already a few months ago, and the paid for utilities were a joke and just a suggestion. Compare that to what the average cemetary looks like and is! We still haven't tried overnighting in a cemetary yet but who would know as everyone there is very tight lipped and never gossips...
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

frizzen
Explorer
Explorer
crudeman wrote:
darsben wrote:
When I was young we went to the cemetery with girls to do things but it WAS not camping

Talk about trespassing ! :E :B

Trespassing? Kinky, I think it was dospassing.

Ok, I live on the border.
I need some wild

AprilWhine
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn't park overnight in a cemetery, you'll be taken out by the first wave in the Zombie Apocalypse!
1997 Prevost by Angola towing 2014 Honda CRV
OR
2008 Winnebago View towing 2015 Fiat 1957 Anniversary Edition
Pick one

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
I am pretty sure a cemetery will definitely be my last, and longest campsite.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
darsben wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Not a cemetery, but I have been camped around a lot of old people a few times!!!

Funny I do not remember you

That happens :? to people when they get old! :B

No, that is because he was stealth camping and did not register with the office.:)
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
darsben wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Not a cemetery, but I have been camped around a lot of old people a few times!!!

Funny I do not remember you

That happens :? to people when they get old! :B
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!