cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help plan Christmas trip from Michigan to Florida?

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
If I can get the time off, we are planning a trip from Lansing, Mich., to Naples. Fl., the weekend before Christmas and coming back a week later. We have a 32-foot Sunseeker Class C.
Lots of initial questions:
How long might it take? We figure two very long days with one overnight stop on the way down and again on the way up.
When should we de-winterize? We typically have the RV shop winterize for us in late October and de-winterize in April. We don't know how todo it ourselves.
When would we winterize upon our return?
Where would be a good spot to stop halfway?
We've done 12-hour travel days before, so we know what we are getting into.
Any other concerns or tips welcome!
Many thanks
Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a Leonberger, a 22-year-old, 19-year-old and 12-year-old.
27 REPLIES 27

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for stopping in the Chattanooga area. KOA have lots of campgrounds just off I75 between Knoxville. This should also give you opportunity to de winterize, BUT watch the weather forecast first. Also may have to winterize in this area when going home, again check the forecasts.
Maybe you should see if your dealer will help you with instruction on wintezing, also lots of directions on this forum.
Take bottled water with you for drinking and another jug or two for flushing the toilet, going down. Coming home, you will have to use rest stops for the facilities.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
In Chattanooga, we liked Holiday Trav-L-Park. http://www.chattacamp.com/
long level pull thrus.
If you want to stop before Tampa, Blueberry Hill RV Park in Bushnell FL exit 314 off I-75. I would call for reservations. Or there is a Cracker Barrel in Brooksville FL at exit 301 where you can overnight if there is a spot.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
Orlando is out of your way coming down I75, look at something around Tampa there is a park just before I4 just off I75 link below. They should have room, call them

http://www.happytravelerrvpark.com/

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, captbru. Looks like that would work really well for us. Poking around the site now.
Forest River Sunseeker 3170 bunkhouse. We travel with a Leonberger, a 22-year-old, 19-year-old and 12-year-old.

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking of driving to Chattanooga, TN, the first day and spending the night there. Driving to Orlando if we can find a place to stay for one or two nights this late in the game, then head down to Naples. My MIL lives in a park where we are pretty sure we'll get a spot for the week (calling Monday).
Lots of questions and things up in the air. Taking any and all advice! Thanks

captbru
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Chattanooga TN to stop. It's about 670 miles down to Chattanooga then about 730 to Naples. I don't think there is another campground till south of Atlanta. Parks in Chattanooga are open.

http://www.chattacamp.com/

Explorer
Explorer
Anticipate where you will be approximately when you are going to want to stop and start looking at campgrounds to see if they are open at that time of year. Once you get into the southern states you should be fine, but north of Virginia and it is likely many will have closed for the season.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
One of your biggest concerns should be, if you'll be able to find a spot to stay when you get there, unless you're staying with family. You're talking Florida in Dec. A lot of people made their plans and got their reservations a long time ago.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
Ocala 1100 miles. To far for one day. Guess need to try further north to overnight.

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
Naples 1400 miles

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't make reservations on the way down or up. I would drive as long as I could the sleep at WM or rest area, Cracker-barrel. It should only be about 1100 miles you should be able to get 700 in the first day. After that won't have to worry about freezing. You could make it to Ocala CW and sleep there and fill water.

reinita
Explorer
Explorer
Visiting family.

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
Why Naples? Must be a reason, would not be my choice.