cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help plan our week in Moab, UT

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
This will be our first trip to the Moab area. My wife and I and our 2 Corgis will be spending 7 days in Moab in mid September. We are not quite retirement age (62) and enjoy short walks or scenic drives with or without the puppies. A scenic drive with a jeep rental sounds fun. Nothing too crazy! Maybe a half day tour with a jeep tour operator. Jet boat on the Colorado? Places to drive to with our Honda CRV Toad? Scenic Float trip on the river? What tour and rental companies have you had good service from?
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone
45 REPLIES 45

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Ken/Allison, We can make due without A/C during the day, as we'll be out of the campground all day anyhow. I have a generator for other conveniences and keeping the batteries charged.

What is it like at night in the summer? I assume the low humidity makes desert nights tolerable. Hoping anyway... I'm from south Louisiana, so I know what hot and muggy are!

It's USUALLY is cool enough at night to get a good rest, but like anywhere in this country, there can be the exceptional nights. The good news is that most of the campsites at Devil's Garden have a wall of rocks off to the west, so the campsites will be in the shade by late afternoon (the sun sets just before 9 p.m.). Make sure you open every window and maybe bring a small 12v fan to aim at your bed. Yes, it's a dry heat, so a little air movement makes a big difference. BTW, generator use is limited to 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. so plan accordingly. If it's a particularly warm night, head into Moab and take advantage of the a/c in one of the restaurants!
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
tragusa3 wrote:
I'm trying to get into Deadhorse for mid June but can't reserve until 4 months out. I have a spot at Devil's Garden, but would much prefer switching for the electricity. However, Devil's Garden looks so beautiful that I may do 2 nights there and 2 at Deadhorse.

Deadhorse is nice because of the electricity, but in my book, Devil's Garden CG is a more amazing setting, not only because of the views of the LaSals over the red rocks, but the fins and arches right around the campground. Probably one of my top five NPS CG's that we've been to.

I have not stayed at Devils Garden, but Arches is one of my favorite parks also. There are some great photo ops both in the park and around the Moab area.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Ken/Allison, We can make due without A/C during the day, as we'll be out of the campground all day anyhow. I have a generator for other conveniences and keeping the batteries charged.

What is it like at night in the summer? I assume the low humidity makes desert nights tolerable. Hoping anyway... I'm from south Louisiana, so I know what hot and muggy are!

I pretty carefully selected our site (using Google Earth) at Devil's Garden, from the photo alone, it looks like it's worth being uncomfortable anyway.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
I'm trying to get into Deadhorse for mid June but can't reserve until 4 months out. I have a spot at Devil's Garden, but would much prefer switching for the electricity. However, Devil's Garden looks so beautiful that I may do 2 nights there and 2 at Deadhorse.

Deadhorse is nice because of the electricity, but in my book, Devil's Garden CG is a more amazing setting, not only because of the views of the LaSals over the red rocks, but the fins and arches right around the campground. Probably one of my top five NPS CG's that we've been to.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
Just booked 5 days in early May at Dead Horse Point State Park - this was the earliest day we could reserve for our stay and there were only 5 or 6 sites left.
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
X3 on Laurent Martres' series of books on photographing the Southwest. Mine are wearing out. X2 on Tom Till's gallery. He did a book on what Southwest geologic icons now and then a number of years ago. He is one of my favorite photographers. The light in the Southwest is incredible. Sunrises/sunsets lighting up the red rock is breathtaking.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
Also, if you are a photo nut, check out Tom Till's Gallery. It's on the main street in Moab and features some eye-popping photos in medium format and blown up to poster size of the red rock county.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
2X on Photographing the Southwest by Larents Martres. There are 3 books - Southern Utah, Arizona, and Colorado/New Mexico. Get all three - even if you are not a photographer, they give directions to some of the most beautiful places in the southwest!

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Landry wrote:
If you are a photo buff, there are too many places to mention. Get a book called Photographing the Southwest by Larents Martres'. Amazon has it. It will tell you where to go, how to get there, and what time is best for photos. You'll wear it out because you will be going back to Moab, and you haven't even gotten to Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon or Zion yet. Not even counting the National Parks, you can spend weeks in Southern Utah and not see everything, but the photo guides are a good place to start, even if you are only sightseeing.

Bob
Thanks for the reference to that book. I'll check it out.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
If you are a photo buff, there are too many places to mention. Get a book called Photographing the Southwest by Larents Martres'. Amazon has it. It will tell you where to go, how to get there, and what time is best for photos. You'll wear it out because you will be going back to Moab, and you haven't even gotten to Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon or Zion yet. Not even counting the National Parks, you can spend weeks in Southern Utah and not see everything, but the photo guides are a good place to start, even if you are only sightseeing.

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
It's a beautiful state park; Utah has some amazing state parks even though it is home to world class national parks: Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, Arches, Cedar breaks and the Grand Staircase National Monument. There is Goblin Valley, Kodachrome, Snow Canyon, Coral Pink Sand Dunes, etc.

The view is amazing from the lookout point where you can look into Canyonlands. Try to make the sunrise from the viewpoint; it is spectacular as the sun begins to light up the horseshoe bend in the river that carved the canyons. The campground was clean but basic. As someone mentioned, no water and vault toilets. There are some trails you can walk. Not sure if all are open to dogs but we walked ours a short ways along the trail that skirts the rim.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Dead Horse State Park is beautiful, popular, and a great location for exploring the Islands in the Sky part of Canyonlands. All reservable sites were booked long in advance when I tried to stay there in early June, 2012. It took two days of showing up at 7:30 to get an open non-reservalbe site. Be sure to fill your fresh water at Moab - no water available at Dead Horse.

June 6 - Dead Horse Point State Park, UT

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Visited but never stayed there. Have heard nothing but good about it! High reviews on RV Park Reviews. But elec only.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times