cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help plan our week in Moab, UT

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
This will be our first trip to the Moab area. My wife and I and our 2 Corgis will be spending 7 days in Moab in mid September. We are not quite retirement age (62) and enjoy short walks or scenic drives with or without the puppies. A scenic drive with a jeep rental sounds fun. Nothing too crazy! Maybe a half day tour with a jeep tour operator. Jet boat on the Colorado? Places to drive to with our Honda CRV Toad? Scenic Float trip on the river? What tour and rental companies have you had good service from?
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone
45 REPLIES 45

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
I'd consider arriving on Sunday through Wednesday by noon (or earlier if possible). All of these CG's are incredibly popular that time of year, although the first week of May isn't too bad, as spring breaks are over and colleges haven't gotten out yet. By mid-May, it's crowded again until the heat of June gets people heading elsewhere.

Thanks for the info! Right now I think we'll arrive there on Monday or Tuesday so that will fit right in the schedule you mention.

However, the more I look at it the more interested I am in Dead Horse Point State Park - the reviews are very good and it is close to Canyons National Park, a place we want to visit anyway.

Does anyone have any tips on the state park, good or bad?
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ
--
We've visited them all (but not always with the RV)

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
nazpaz wrote:
We are planning on being there for a few days in early May. We will arrive on a weekday and want to boondock at Goose Island or maybe Big Bend campground just north of Moab. Do any of you with Moab boondocking experience think we'll have a problem getting a site?
I'd consider arriving on Sunday through Wednesday by noon (or earlier if possible). All of these CG's are incredibly popular that time of year, although the first week of May isn't too bad, as spring breaks are over and colleges haven't gotten out yet. By mid-May, it's crowded again until the heat of June gets people heading elsewhere.

dverstra wrote:
A scenic drive with a jeep rental sounds fun. Nothing too crazy! Maybe a half day tour with a jeep tour operator.
I'd rent a jeep rather than go with a tour. That way you can do things at your own pace. For an easy introduction, I'd start with Schafer Trail off of Island in the Sky down to the Potash Road and return along the river to Moab. The White Rim Trail mentioned above does have one section near Murphy's Hogback that can be tricky in a vehicle without true four wheel drive. Here is a good description of some of the other trails around Moab. In your CRV, I'd stick with 1's and 2's to start, graduating to 3's when you have more confidence. Note that the trail ratings given in my link are different from some other websites, where the rating goes from 1 to 5, not 1 to 10.

For hiking, Arches has a lot of short excursions, but no dogs allowed on the trails. If you get a hot day there, head up the LaSal Mountain Loop for great views down on the red rock canyons.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:

You welcome!!

Since the campgrounds are mostly first come first serve, you won't really know until you get there, but there are more listed than the ones you mentioned and there should always be some place to boondock in the areas open to it which are shown in one of the links.

That said, I certainly won't bother to respond to another one of your posts.

Apparently I insulted you. That wasn't my intent. I was just pointing out that my question about the likelihood of there being vacant campsites was not addressed in your post and hoping that it would be answered by someone else. It wasn't said as a put down or even a lack of appreciation for your post.
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
--

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
nazpaz wrote:
The page with information on water availability is helpful. The rest of it is just links describing the location of the campgrounds. I know where the campgrounds are - it's whether or not there is room at the inn that I'm asking about.

You welcome!!

Since the campgrounds are mostly first come first serve, you won't really know until you get there, but there are more listed than the ones you mentioned and there should always be some place to boondock in the areas open to it which are shown in one of the links.

That said, I certainly won't bother to respond to another one of your posts.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
trailertraveler wrote:
Dump stations and water near Moab
BLM Campgrounds on UT-128
BLM Horsethief Campground
BLM Campgrounds in the Moab Area
Dispersed Camping in the Moab Area

The page with information on water availability is helpful. The rest of it is just links describing the location of the campgrounds. I know where the campgrounds are - it's whether or not there is room at the inn that I'm asking about.
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
--

nazpaz
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoying the Moab information. We are planning on being there for a few days in early May. We will arrive on a weekday and want to boondock at Goose Island or maybe Big Bend campground just north of Moab. Do any of you with Moab boondocking experience think we'll have a problem getting a site? Also, were can we water up upon arriving and where can we dump upon leaving?

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.
-G.R. "Scott" Cundiff
Our Here and There Blog
--

clikrf8
Explorer
Explorer
I think Corona Arch is on BLM land. It is huge and can be popular. It was in the news recently because someone who was using the top of the arch for a swing anchor misjudged the length of rope he needed. You can bring your dog, I think.
2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

ryanb-72
Explorer
Explorer
I have to agree with above, all of Moab area is awesome! Dead Horse Point is amazing. there is a trail there that leads you to an overlook separate from the main tourist lookout. My wife, daughter, and I hiked there (short hike)for an amazing sunset and were the only ones there within sight! One of the highlights of our trip! Really enjoyed the town of Moab as well although did not get to spend a lot of time there. You should have a great trip whatever you do.
Happy Camping!
2012 Jayco X17Z
2013 Ford F-150 ecoboost 4x4
Kipor KGE 3000TI

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
We LOVE Moab - been there 5 or 6 times. I hesitate recommending as so much depends on your hiking or driving comfort levels. And we also have a dog so that leaves out hiking with our best friends in the National Parks there.

Couple of hints though. Go to Arches early in the day and late in the day for the best color and shadows. It is amazing.

Evening. Go up to Balanced Rock. And here is the hint. When you get there and everyone is in the lot ooohing and aaahing, you take the dirt road to the left and go up a few hundred yards for a view - and photo - to die for. Check www.LaurenBarbara.com and the Wanderings link for UT and National Parks for what I am talking about. And best friend can go along and stay in the car.

If you can, do the hike to Delicate Arch; it is not that long but kinda steep and can have some slick rock. But just wonderful. Early morning it great. Again, see website. Or at least go to the two view points of it which are not that difficult - evening.

So much to see in Aches and then you have the Canyonlands (Island In The Sky - north end) drive as well. Same link in website.

Can you tell I love the place? ! ๐Ÿ™‚

Happy New Year!
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

LindaAnn
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed a week in Moab last year--one of the most beautiful areas we've visited.

I absolutely agree with other posters about Arches and Dead Horse Point State Park...and Highway 128 along the Colorado River, with a stop at the Lodge/Museum. That highway leads to Fisher Towers (one of those is the scene in the commercial with the woman climbing the rock). Short hike and great views.

Just south of town is Hole in the Rock, just for fun!

I would suggest a stop at the Moab Visitor Center downtown when you get there. They were very helpful with info, maps, etc. and you could find out there about jeep rentals, tours. Online they are: discovermoab.com/visitorcenter

Windwalker55
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an excellent website for Utah and other southwestern states, especially if you are into hiking.

American Southwest - Utah

Also a good book for hikers is "Canyon Hiking Guide to the Colorado Plateau" by Michael Kelsey. Since you have time to research it might be worth buying. You can get it on Amazon.

The drive down 128 from I-70 to Moab is really pretty. I was there in April of last year and Arches campground filled fast. I think it is all reservable. I couldn't get in so I stayed at Goose Island just outside of Moab on 128 north, and it was nicer than the Arches campground in my opinion. No services but nice area and much closer to Moab than any other public campgrounds. If you prefer hookups there are quite a few private campgrounds in Moab.

Have fun. It is a great area to visit.
2007 Kodiak 160 Hybrid
"The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir
My Blog

exgman
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan to go off pavement with your CRV I'd recommend you get the "Guide to Moab Backroads and 4 Wheel Drive Trails". All the trails and roads are rated for difficulty and will keep you from taking a road your CRV can't handle. There are several that would be suitable for your CRV. If you rent a Jeep, I'm pretty sure the rental company will tell you which ones you can't go on.
Dan
14 American Coach Eagle
DD-13 500 HP
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

trailertraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Some scenic byways and backways are Upper Colorado Scenic Byway UT-128, Potash-Lower Colorado Scenic Byway, and Kane Creek Road. You can take UT-128, then visit Sago Canyon and return to Moab on US-191 as a loop. The Needles District of Canyonlands NP is South of Moab, but worth a visit if you have the time.
Safe travels!
Trailertraveler

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
No need for an organized tour. Just rent the jeep for a couple of days and go. You could drive around off road for days in all of those parks. Even if you're on a main road, it's nice to be able to take a side trip if the spirit moves you.