cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help selecting East Coast location with lots of variables...

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello Folks!

This group has helped me select our last 3 vacations so I figured I'd come back for more ๐Ÿ˜‰ BUT.. This one is a challenge for me to figure out. Here is the situation...

We are looking for a location for next summer to spend a week vacation (unlike most trips where we plan 3 weeks in advance.. Ha!). However.. This year my extended family is interested in coming including my parents, brother, sister, and all of their kids. So it would be 6-8 adults and 5-7 kids ranging from 3-12 years old. The problem is we are the only camper / RV'ers. We need to find a location that has cabins or rental trailers for the rest. The challenge I am finding is trying to keep the cost down. This vacation is shifting from a family owned house in Ocean City NJ (Where the family spends multiple other trips over the summer) to wherever we pick to change it up and try something different. However, my family is not interested in spending $3-500 per night.

Me and my immediate family have been camping and RV'ing now for many years. I am fully aware that most private parks have full accommodation trailers or cabins available, and that many state parks have rustic cabins. What I am looking for is opinion on 1- A good location to take a larger group like this where everyone will enjoy 2- where it will not be super expensive for my family to stay (we will be bringing our trailer) and 3- no further drive than about 3-4 hours from the Philadelphia area. Although if you have a thought about somewhere else east coast that might be 6-10 hour drive, please share that as well as I may be able to convince them.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Ideally the RV park / Campground would have plenty to do so that we could easily spend some days just in the park (pools, fishing, playgrounds, etc), however we also like to get out and see things, so near by attractions are desired as well.

Please share your thoughts and experiences. I appreciate it!
22 REPLIES 22

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Cherry Hill is the one that immediately jumped to my mind as well. We camped there with non-camping freinds about 5 years ago (they rented a permanent trailer right across from us). It's easy to get in and out of DC where there is a ton to do at very low costs!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Danforth Bay Camping Resort, Freedom, NH. https://www.danforthbay.com/home

Easy drive to the Kancamagus, North Conway and the White Mountain National Forest. Campground has a nice beach plus a lot of kid's activities. It's about 7.5 hours from Philly. It does book up early.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Most state parks that have campgrounds also have cabins anymore.
Virginia
Cross referencing isn't that hard online.
3-4 hrs from Philly is limiting , but if you can go farther,,,,
But to cover a lot of various activities across all age groups look at Myrtle Beach.
South Carolina

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
New Hampshire, up by Franconia/Conway. The kids would have a blast sliding in the Swift River on the Kancamagus Highway, and lots of hiking stuff as well.
http://www.kancamagushighway.com/

We're stopping there on the way to Maine, just haven't nailed down a camping spot yet.

Well,

You could try Frontier Town Campground . . It is in Ocean City MD and they also offer rentals..

OR you could try Cherry Hill Park . in DC... its always a great vacation with lots to see and do..

Joe
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
First 2 in the DC area.

Bull Run Regional Park, they have cabins, water park, civil war battle fields near by. about a 15 minute drive to DC metro

Cherry Hill Park in DC has it all also

Cherrystone Family Camping Resort in VA, your kids will love it!

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Jellystone Park in Luray, VA. Something for everyone there & close to the magnificent Shenandoah National Park.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
East coast covers a lot of ground. Maybe you could narrow the area you're looking at a little. Do you need beach?

Most KOAs have cabins. We stayed at the Watkins Glen KOA and my brother and sister spent a couple of nights at the CG. Our site was close to the cabins so it worked out well.