cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hocking Hills State Park

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to this beautiful park the weekend of Oct 2. We will be arriving early afternoon Friday and leaving Sunday morning. We have never been there, so I would like to know what to see, can't miss attractions, etc. It will be me, my wife, and kids, who are 11, 8, and 8. Oh, and our dog. Thanks for any input.
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 4.56's, V/C Springs, PP 3P, P3

Past:
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2009 Forest River Flagstaff 830RBSS
5 REPLIES 5

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
With little ones I would park at Old Mans Cave, hike down the steps to see the falls and come back out. It seems like you are walking into prehistoric times with the impressive rock formations. While there they would probably enjoy the suspension bridge that goes across the gorge.

You can see Ash Cave by again parking in the lot and taking a short paved hike back to see it. Small kid will really be in awe as this is the tallest most impressive rock formation that is easy to get into.

Conkles Hollow has an easy hike in and out from the lot on the lower trail. If you are energetic the upper trail is one of my favorites but the kids must be well behaved as there are some pretty big dropoffs.

I would not take kids to Cantwell Cliffs.

Cedar Falls can be a short walk from the lot as well but there are many steps.

If you are staying at the State Park and the kids like to fish, you can walk through the group campground (behind the pool) down the hill to Rose Lake.

There are zip lines in the area and 4 wheeler rental, plenty to do.

You will enjoy the trip.

luvztheoutdoor1
Explorer
Explorer
It's a really popular place. The trails were packed with people and their dogs when we were there last spring. Just be aware and not surprised.
Linda
Scout, 10 year old Husky/Shepherd
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

jasoncw
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input, camperforlife. I love hiking, but it will be limited by how much whining I hear from the little ones. We will likely hit the shorter trails. The more I know about the park, the more questions I would have. Unfortunately I know very little about the park, so I have no specific questions. I will do some reading on their website to find out more.
2016 Jayco Eagle 324BHTS
2005 Ford Excursion 6.8L 4.56's, V/C Springs, PP 3P, P3

Past:
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
2009 Forest River Flagstaff 830RBSS

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I will be there this thurs-sun myself. I would echo the same places camperforlife mentioned.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
When you check in ask them for trail maps of the area. The park is actually several park locations in the area and requires driving between locations. Places to see include: Old Mans Cave, Ash Cave, Cantwell Cliffs, Cedar Falls, Conkel's Hollow & Rock House.

The easiest hikes are Ash Cave, Old Mans Cave and the lower trail at Conkel's Hollow. Cedar Falls is pretty and you can park near the top and walk down I would say about 100 steps to see the falls.

All are worth seeing and depending how much you like to hike you can hike from many areas to another.

Been there many times and have even hiked it in the snow. I will be there Thursday through Monday this week. If you have specific interests or questions I'll do my best to answer them.