cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Home Base for Winter or Summer

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I have been having a discussion with a co-worker regarding retirement and RVing (Camping). My thoughts are to have a home base(sticks and Bricks) located in the north for use in the summer months and traveling south to warmer climates for some of the colder months. My co-worker believes the opposite, live in the warmer south and travel northerly during the warmer months.

Curious as to what other forum members think regarding the pros and cons of each scenario. The home base necessity has already been determined.
21 REPLIES 21

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
We sold our home in Washington last summer and are currently building a new park model with Arizona room. We will travel to the NW to a membership RV park where we have two lots in the summer months. Easier to story and better for the 5th wheel in the South then the wed cold NW.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
bighatnohorse wrote:
#4 Daylight.

X2
Boy do you have that right. Up North the sun goes down around 4:00.
You go to work in the dark and come home in the dark.

When I got down here in Florida blew me away what time the sun goes down in the Summer months, like around 9:00!!! Even in the winter months sunset is WAAAY later than up North.

I call it a 2fer.
It's almost like getting almost another extra day to live in each day! :c

Been here awhile now and it STILL makes me chuckle every time the weather man says it is going down in the 30's tonite!!

Ya it goes down in the 30's for all of 2 whole hours BEFORE sunrise. I sure can handle that. :B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
I just retired 2 years ago. I was absolutley going to move to Florida and visit north during the summer months. This is what I had seen plenty of retired people do.

Turns out - now that I was ready to join the preveous generation in the south, they are moving back north. Folks that had lived there for decades are now leaving to go back to be near FAMILY.

OH, and for the notion that you do not need to worry about water lines - you had better pray that your air conditioner does not stop running!

My MIL would always leave Florida and camp around the northern states for the summer. One year her air condition stopped working while they were gone. They came home to a house interior covered in MOLD!

I have since decided to continue to snowbird for now. I do love my home, friends, and family. The weather is ok here 9 months out of the year. So I guess there is no rush for now.
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
#4 Daylight. Usable daylight.
We typically get 90 minutes of more usable daylight in AZ than in WA during winter months.

In northern climes. . .Anchorage for example, summer means enormous daylight. In fact, according to healthcare officials there, sleep-deprivation is a bigger problem than drugs.

1) Family, 2)taxes, 3)healthcare - the top three considerations come first.

If affordable, I would visit a southern hemisphere country for the winter months.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
Agree, there are only 3 or 4 good snowbird States and only the southern most parts of those states if you want really warm winters. Hundreds of places north to explore in the shoulder seasons and Summer.
pawatt

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
I'll throw in one more thing that isn't so obvious when you're working. Most want to travel when they retire. RV'ing is just one form of that.

A mobile RV sunbird has a much larger area to explore during their summer travel time. A mobile RV snowbird needs to stay below I10 (roughly) during a large amount of their travel months. Fun for the first few winters (it's great) but you run out of places to explore unless you're into really deeply exploring a state.
pawatt

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If only buying one S&B house, buy it in a moderate climate with good medical facilities. Then when you give up RVing you'll have the perfect place to live. Spending winters in the cold states is hard on your body and mind. You'll be healthier if you can get out and walk, be able to drive without snow issues, and see sun during the winter, etc.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate the comments. A lot of things to think about. And bringing up the topic means that retirement is getting closer. Oh yes.

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
If I had do overs I would definitely be a reverse snowbird.

Florida has 6 months of real pleasant weather and 4 months of dreaded hot. Up North you are darn lucky to have 3 months of a nice summer.

IMHO Live in Florida and Snowbird to the North for the hottest part of the summer. The cost of Real estate taxes in Florida alone tips the scale of savings. Not to mention no State Taxes.

AND more importantly you don't have to worry about frozen pipes when close up the house to leave to Snowbird north. :W

I fulltime and this is what I'm thinking of doing when I decide to set up a home base. I am already domiciled in Florida and stay here for the winter.so it would be easy to do. I may consider a condo/townhouse in Florida and then move the fiver to a lake in Wisconsin permanently.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
If I had do overs I would definitely be a reverse snowbird.

Florida has 6 months of real pleasant weather and 4 months of dreaded hot. Up North you are darn lucky to have 3 months of a nice summer.

IMHO Live in Florida and Snowbird to the North for the hottest part of the summer. The cost of Real estate taxes in Florida alone tips the scale of savings. Not to mention no State Taxes.

AND more importantly you don't have to worry about frozen pipes when close up the house to leave to Snowbird north. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Home base has to be near family. But as we get older ready access to afordable health care also becomes a top priority.

This.

*cost of living, taxes, etc
*family
*health care
*climate that you can tolerate year round if necessary.

In no particular order. Unfortunately sometimes these are mutually exclusive, then you have to choose.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many full-timers have their residencies established in S Dakota, Florida and Texas. There is no requirement that we spend any certain number of days in the state. All 3 states are full-timer friendly and have established rules if you travel. We are originally from MI and know that we do not ever want to own a house there again. If we were to purchase, we would purchase land that we could park our RV on in the summer months when it's warmer and then head south for winter. IL also has high property tax, insurance, other taxes, registration fees that will likely just keep getting higher. I would choose a less expensive state for home base and then travel wherever you want.

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife and I, (retired for a while now), have our home in the North Carolina Mountains at elevation 3200 feet, and we summer there from mid April to October.
Then we winter in our RV on our own lot in in a RV/condominium Park Key Largo, FL from October to April.

As far as we are concerned it doesn't get any better then that!

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Establish residency where ever the cost of living and taxes are lowest. This usually means you'll need to be there for a prescribed number of days a year (I believe Fla. is 183 days). I gotta believe FL is less than IL.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox