cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hospital RV park closing

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
The large Scott & White Hospital in Temple, Texas is closing their RV park of many decades according to the Temple Daily Telegram. I did not read the article due to subscription needed for the reading full article.

I used to live in Temple and this was a nice low cost park situated next to main hospital and ER facility. Others may have more information.
6 REPLIES 6

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Everyone is simply guessing. But I highly doubt it is closing due to pressure from local businesses. Not enough volume there to make any difference. More likely due to light use and even more likely due to plans to expand by adding new buildings and additional medical services. With all the population growth in Texas almost all hospitals and medical centers are expanding rapidly.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
That is sad to hear. Our local local hospitals has 30 amp and water hookups and I brought our motorhome there while our then 14 year grandson was in for 16 days. It really reduced pressure for our daughter as she stayed with him 24/7. She could get a few hours of solid sleep and a shower especially after he turned the corner and could still be only a few minuets away if something happened.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
ken56 wrote:
The local hotels must have complained about the competition. Local hotel associations are usually behind ordinances that prohibit overnight RV parking at places like Cracker Barrel and Bass Pro that have a high tourist rate. Although people are at a the hospital for a reason these associations want to force people into their high priced accommodations instead of allowing the convenience and affordability to families of patients in the hospital for treatment of some sort...they want your money is all.

Do you have any references to back up such a claim? It has been my experience that bans are primarily generated by local governments in response to the need for police to have the ability to prevent vagrants and homeless from taking up residence. Without such laws the police have limited authority even if the property owner prohibits overnighting.
As for the hospital, I think it is very, very unlikely a hotel operator would go to the city council and claim people staying on the hospital grounds while they or family members are getting treatment is negatively effecting their business. It much more likely he hospital either had problems with people who were not using the facilities staying or the hospital needs that area for normal parking or expansion. Or maybe Luke someone else already posted, it simply wasnโ€™t being used.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lubbock Univ Hospital has FHU in one of their parking lots. Maybe 10 or 12 spots. We had to use it last fall.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
The local hotels must have complained about the competition. Local hotel associations are usually behind ordinances that prohibit overnight RV parking at places like Cracker Barrel and Bass Pro that have a high tourist rate. Although people are at a the hospital for a reason these associations want to force people into their high priced accommodations instead of allowing the convenience and affordability to families of patients in the hospital for treatment of some sort...they want your money is all.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sorry to hear that. I wonder if the upkeep versus occupancy was the issue?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus