cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to avoid bad campgrounds

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
My family and I just begun our trip down the 101 on the west coast? We've just left a Campground and found it rather sketchy. There appears to be a number of people who live full time in some of the spaces, and many of them were worry some looking. Very intimidating.

Just wondering how to avoid these types of campgrounds in the future? Looking for tips from more experienced campers then I.

Also looking for 101 campground suggestions!

Thanks
Josh
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
2010 Ford F350 V10 Crew Cab
Full Timing: 2 Adults, 1 Toddler, 1 Yellow Lab
www.randomgoodness.ca
51 REPLIES 51

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen more than a few RV Parks that ultimately evolve into trailer parks. I can understand the economics. When I stay at one of these types of parks, and I step in dog poop as I first get out of my truck, it's difficult to keep an open mind on the situation.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to a more expensive park.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
Another endorsement for RVPark reviews, but you have to actually read the reviews, don't just look at the score. There might be a review like this: "wow, they have a lot of rules! they would not let me run my generator all day, and they were angry because I played my music" And, some people would not want to stay there, but to me, that is great. Also, you will see people who downgrade a park because trees block their satellite reception. So, make sure what people love/hate about a park are the same things you would love/hate about a park.

tsetsaf
Explorer III
Explorer III
Research and www.campgroundviews.com are what we use. I like to see what we are getting in to.
2006 Ram 3500
2014 Open Range
"I don't trust my own advise!"

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I've only been in one CG that scared me. I didn't do my usual checking on this place because I got stuck in a 4 hour traffic jam due to a bad accident on an expressway. Late in the day and nobody in the office. A few beat up TTs but no tow vehicles by them or anybody outside. For medical reasons I have to have at least electric. So I headed on down the road until I found a Holiday Inn Express. Bet it was the first time they had a Class C in their parking lot!
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a campground we stayed in Redway California, was dirty and many of the camping units would be condemned if they were houses. A really rough permanent crowd with dogs running free all over the campground

It was highly rated by Good Sam and I sent them a long explanation of what we found
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaydub74 wrote:

Just wondering how to avoid these types of campgrounds in the future? Looking for tips from more experienced campers then I.

Also looking for 101 campground suggestions!

Thanks
Josh

Josh, http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/ has reviews that are reliable and a complete listing of your campground options by city/state/region and the maps have filter options. TripAdvisor.com is also a great resource used by RVers. I always check these two sites for reviews.

I will also use Woodalls.com to narrow my initial search. I've found that Woodalls.com does a good job of listing the more reputable cgs for the most part. Allstays will give you a complete listing so be sure you look at the reviews there to see if there might be problems. Google Earth will give you an idea of proximity to highways.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Good Sam and Trailer Life directories to choose campgrounds and like KOA's for their relatively consistent quality.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
jaydub74 wrote:
My family and I just begun our trip down the 101 on the west coast? We've just left a Campground and found it rather sketchy. There appears to be a number of people who live full time in some of the spaces, and many of them were worry some looking. Very intimidating.

Also looking for 101 campground suggestions!ThanksJosh

The state of the economy over the past years has had CG owners looking for more ways to increase revenue and CG's are allowing more and more residents into their CG's. And sadly over time this usually brings the CG down and not desirable/safe for RV'ers and their families.

What I do is call and ask how many 'residents' they have in the CG.

Don't get this confused with the term "seasonal". Those are RV'ers who leave their RV parked all year and only use them seasonally.

So short answer is call and ask how many "residents" the CG has.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
Good point. I've had more issues with the party crowd on holiday than any permanents. As asked 101 is quite long so if you are in cannon beach we love the cannon beach Rv park, visit yearly. Also just back from newport and the newport rv park and marina was nice but windy being right on the bay. Very scenic though. Fort stevens in warrenton/Astoria is very nice and the Koa there as well is top notch.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you waved, engaged, tried to be friendly you would find that those folks are also friendly.....more than likely they are just trying to make a living and are caught up in the routine of life vs being on holiday.

Majority of situations...treat people like you want to be treated (without fear and disdain) and you will in return be treated likewise.
Vice versa holds true also.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you? "101" goes through three States.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
We do a lot of coastal late-fall/winter/early-spring camping.
There will be some people in the campgrounds at all times, but certainly few crowds.
About the only time they are "crowded" is on Clamming Weekends (sometimes actually full)
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not really against permanent or semi pernanent people in rv parks. I suppose that is a bad stereotype I'm more uncomfortable with some of the rougher crowds that appear to be living or visiting the parks
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
www.randomgoodness.ca

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses. I'll use the review site as suggested going forward.

I suspect the state parks have less people living in them but will we be alone. We're kind of sheep and prefer the company of others. It's laye oct, what will the crowds be like on the coast?
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
www.randomgoodness.ca