cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to avoid bad campgrounds

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
My family and I just begun our trip down the 101 on the west coast? We've just left a Campground and found it rather sketchy. There appears to be a number of people who live full time in some of the spaces, and many of them were worry some looking. Very intimidating.

Just wondering how to avoid these types of campgrounds in the future? Looking for tips from more experienced campers then I.

Also looking for 101 campground suggestions!

Thanks
Josh
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
2010 Ford F350 V10 Crew Cab
Full Timing: 2 Adults, 1 Toddler, 1 Yellow Lab
www.randomgoodness.ca
51 REPLIES 51

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
bukzin wrote:
SpotCrime looks interesting..

Just gave it a quick look, but when I typed in a local zip code
the results were for a much larger area. Made it less helpful
to me.

Some Zip codes can incorporate 'many' counties and can be a huge area!

In the 'update location box' enter a town name or address to get more concentrated results.

spotcrime.com

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

bukzin
Explorer
Explorer
SpotCrime looks interesting..

Just gave it a quick look, but when I typed in a local zip code
the results were for a much larger area. Made it less helpful
to me.
2006 Monaco Diplomat 41'
Cummins 400hp ISL CM850

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
What we've learned is don't get mislead by the brief CG descriptions in catalogues and brochures or on websites.

For example:

"Near the ocean where you can hear the waves". Means that the actual water can be like 1/2 mile away, especially at low tide. The wind blows non-stop and can be colder than the dickens even in the summer and be so noisy you can't talk outside. As well, it's foggy most days and you won't see the sun.

"In a great fishing community". Means that the CG is run down, tired and seedy looking because that's the way fishing people want it to keep out regular RV-ers.

"Next to the old-town shopping district". Means that the CG has no redeeming qualities and is next to a railroad or industrial facility.

"At the river's edge where you will have a nice cool breeze". Means that there are tons of mosquitoes and other flying insects 24 hours a day so bad that you can't sit or stroll around outside.

"In an area where there are lots of tourist attractions". Not much appealing at the CG or in the immediate vicinity and the tourist attractions are at least an hour's drive away in any direction.

The best CG we've stayed at so far is one where we did a bunch of online searching and read some excellent reviews. It completely lived up to the recommendations. If you want a nice CG, search for reviews on the internet. ๐Ÿ™‚

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
path1 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
NCWriter wrote:
EsoxLucius wrote:
What is it about permanent or semi-permanent residents in an RV park that bothers you people?

Some other examples come to mind, but bottom line, there's no zoning in these "towns" and you can find yourself staying in a neighborhood you would avoid as your residence.

X2

Everyone is skirting around the whole issue of being politically correct when in actuality it is what it is. Lower income and convicted felons.

I tried a few of them in my travels that had permanent residents.
Because I full time I do stay in one CG for more than a few days often.
Which allows one to really see what there is not to like.

What I found out which was a real eye opener. Is that convicted felons are actually given funds to acquire a trailer and move into a CG. Their PO's actually come out to the CG on a regular basis.

Cost is lower than gov funding apartments, they can't get regular housing because many landlords do not allow felons, and they don't have to come up with exorbitant utilities deposits which they can't period. I.E. CG's are they place they end up at.

I stayed a month in that particular CG observing/talking to them. Most WERE felons of violent crimes, drug dealing and yes sex offenders.

Their trailers where old run down and their sites were poorly kept. They've been in jail most of their lives and don't know anything differnt. The balance were people on gov aid. The CG address DOES satisfy the gov to send them their checks and food stamp cards.

If you stay long enough as I did you will also see they continue to buy and sell drugs right out of the CG. Actually it makes it far easier for them to do so because there is police patrol presence in a CG like in the city. Again which is why they gravitate to the CG's.

I was not brought up in the drug laden slums of the city and choose not to RV to a place in the same conditions. Henceforth why "I" do not stay at CG's that have permanent residents after finding out what it really entails.

So those that want to throw the PC card around about the poor mis understood low income people? Stay a month or so at a CG that has a disproportionate amount of residents, watch what activities goes around you in close quarters and get back to us if you want to RV there with your family. Just saying.

There is another way to avoid places that you mention in your post, Not altogether but will help.

Lets say you have to hold up somewhere because your tow vehicle broke down or medical or something you didn't plan. You need to find a place but not familiar with area.

There are web sites that list crime rate by zip code.

If it is higher than your or what you're comfortable with pick another place. Just Google up "crime rate by zip code".

Works mostly for picking in town overnight places. Some are in "war zone" and others not so much. Sometimes only a 10 min drive separates them.

And I don't think your being "politically correct" I think your saying what is factual.

spotcrime.com
This is the one I use. Put in the zip or address of destination or CG.

Many of us RV'ers travel thru areas that we are not familiar with. This website will help you stay safe.
The data is from 'actual' police reports which you can read.

I broke down in West Memphis and had to leave the MH in the repair shop.. I was going to take the toad to go see a very popular attraction and stay the night there, when the owner of the truck shop suggested I NOT go there and gave me this link to show me why! :W

IMHO using spotcrime.com is great addition to planning an RV trip with your family, or for deciding where to stop for the night.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
NCWriter wrote:
EsoxLucius wrote:
What is it about permanent or semi-permanent residents in an RV park that bothers you people?

Some other examples come to mind, but bottom line, there's no zoning in these "towns" and you can find yourself staying in a neighborhood you would avoid as your residence.

X2

Everyone is skirting around the whole issue of being politically correct when in actuality it is what it is. Lower income and convicted felons.

What I found out which was a real eye opener. Is that convicted felons are actually given funds to acquire a trailer and move into a CG. Their PO's actually come out to the CG on a regular basis.

Cost is lower than gov funding apartments, they can't get regular housing because many landlords do not allow felons, and they don't have to come up with exorbitant utilities deposits which they can't period. I.E. CG's are they place they end up at.

I stayed a month in that particular CG observing/talking to them. Most WERE felons of violent crimes, drug dealing and yes sex offenders.

Their trailers where old run down and their sites were poorly kept. They've been in jail most of their lives and don't know anything differnt. The balance were people on gov aid. The CG address DOES satisfy the gov to send them their checks and food stamp cards.

If you stay long enough as I did you will also see they continue to buy and sell drugs right out of the CG. Actually it makes it far easier for them to do so because there is police patrol presence in a CG like in the city. Again which is why they gravitate to the CG's.

I was not brought up in the drug laden slums of the city and choose not to RV to a place in the same conditions. Henceforth why "I" do not stay at CG's that have permanent residents after finding out what it really entails.

So those that want to throw the PC card around about the poor mis understood low income people? Stay a month or so at a CG that has a disproportionate amount of residents, watch what activities goes around you in close quarters and get back to us if you want to RV there with your family. Just saying.

There is another way to avoid places that you mention in your post, Not altogether but will help.

Lets say you have to hold up somewhere because your tow vehicle broke down or medical or something you didn't plan. You need to find a place but not familiar with area.

There are web sites that list crime rate by zip code. If it is higher than your or what you're comfortable with pick another place. Just Google up "crime rate by zip code".

Works mostly for picking in town overnight places. Some are in "war zone" and others not so much. Sometimes only a 10 min drive separates them.

And I don't think your being "politically correct" I think your saying what is factual.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
NCWriter wrote:
EsoxLucius wrote:

X2

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah! One size fits all!
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Stay at state or federal parks.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I haven't been steered wrong by rvparkreviews traveling in the west. At least from the aspect of whether the campground is spooky or sketchy. If the place is heavily rated and it has mostly 8 9 10 ratings, I've never had problem.

Really all the advice is good on the thread regarding commercial RV parks. Calling first to ask questions, drive through inspect, rvparkreviews, google earth, google image search, only commit to first night, more expensive=tendency towards nicer.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
NCWriter wrote:
Myself, I just feel out of place in a 'mobile home park' with working stiffs. Going to work at 5am, kids running around, blue tarps, old vehicles... not my idea of a welcoming environment.

I don't have anything against 'them', I just don't want to live there.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
The better run parks are generally separating residents from holiday Rv folks. But yes there are bad ones for sure. All about poor ownership.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:

A couple of things. We stayed in one very attractive RV park in PA where the guy across from us apparently ran his commercial business from there and had a few heavy duty bucket trucks coming and going, parked there overnight. Live and let live...but not when the revving up started way before dawn. Luckily we were there just one night.

At another place in NM, oil field workers apparently had beat up the washing machines to the point the management had a sign, "Use X machine only for greasy clothes" but X was broken. They were down to one machine for a whole lot of users waiting. Residents screeched through in pickups very fast,raising clouds of dust on their way in and out , with loud booming radios (and only 5 or so sites were not permanent.)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
google maps, "street view" will also tell you what you need to know too.
Let's you drive down the road the CG is on to see if you can actually fit with your rig and than switch to over head to view the entire CG from above to see the innards of the CG.

Google Street View, IMHO priceless if you RV. :C

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
The above post has some merit - I have also checked out the reviews on CGs I have visited, and also notice the same thing. Yhat being said, I always try to check out photos of the CGs I may visit when planning a trip. Campsitephotos.com is an excellent resource. I also Google the name and then select images. This might not be an option for some while on the raod looking for a one or two night stay, but picking based on low price usually will get you a sub-par experience.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS