cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to avoid bad campgrounds

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
My family and I just begun our trip down the 101 on the west coast? We've just left a Campground and found it rather sketchy. There appears to be a number of people who live full time in some of the spaces, and many of them were worry some looking. Very intimidating.

Just wondering how to avoid these types of campgrounds in the future? Looking for tips from more experienced campers then I.

Also looking for 101 campground suggestions!

Thanks
Josh
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
2010 Ford F350 V10 Crew Cab
Full Timing: 2 Adults, 1 Toddler, 1 Yellow Lab
www.randomgoodness.ca
51 REPLIES 51

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I have found The park review sites to be of no value. First of all they are not going to list how many residents are in that particular CG. AND IMHO, JMHO that alone tells me what to expect. Phone call to CG is what will give you that information.

And come on, a CG has how many thousands of people staying there a year and on average there will be 4 or 5 reviews or sometimes there are 10 or 12 reviews? I don't find that to be the pulse of any CG.

I started reading the reviews of the CG's I had stayed at and found most of them to be nothing further than the truth. Usually disgruntled campers feeling the need to vent. You will miss out on some very nice CG's if you base your decisions on rvparkreviews.

If you are a destination RV'er with a limited time slot for an enjoyable weekend or week with your family? CALL and ask the CG all the questions you need to decide if that CG is for you!

That said. I full time and don't make reservations anymore. Heck I don't even bother calling them either. I pull in. If it's THAT bad I pull out and move down the road. One of the perks of being a full timer. :C

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
You know sometimes you just can't tell. I hire on a weekly basis there are people needing help. Some are not. You really need to check out where you choose to stay. I have hired a couple of people in this predicament and have been excellent employees. Times are not what they used to be. No need to condemn anyone. Chill and be aware!!! Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
coolbreeze01 wrote:
EsoxLucius wrote:
What is it about permanent or semi-permanent residents in an RV park that bothers you people?

People don't bother me. I just don't care to live with freaks and zombies.

Get out the garlic, silver bullets, mirrors, and crucifixes.... ๐Ÿ˜‰
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
What is it about permanent or semi-permanent residents in an RV park that bothers you people?

People don't bother me. I just don't care to live with freaks and zombies.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Go to a more expensive park.

you hit the nail on the HEAD !!!
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
We stick to National, State, Military and even country parks fall, winter and spring and I have yet to be disappointed. Since we are self contained, I'd much rather dry camp than be plugged in into a "sketchy" RV park or any RV park as they are mostly parking lots.

I'm beginning to do the same. Unfortunately there are few national or COE CGs in my area, and I don't qualify for military parks. Also, NJ state parks don't offer any utilities, which is problematic when you need heat or A/C. I'm going to a MD state park this weekend that has electric, so we'll see how it goes. Neighboring PA and DE CGs offer some utilities as well.

I'm not quite ready to invest in solar/generator to be self sufficient. But I may re-evaluate the situation.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaydub74 wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I'll use the review site as suggested going forward.

I suspect the state parks have less people living in them but will we be alone. We're kind of sheep and prefer the company of others. It's laye oct, what will the crowds be like on the coast?
OOOHHH watch what you say/do... Some folks dion't like it when you pull in next to them in an empty campground. On here, you will get called a "herd beast".

State parks would be the way to go - if not close to one, then the advice given on the review site is sound.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We stick to National, State, Military and even country parks fall, winter and spring and I have yet to be disappointed. Since we are self contained, I'd much rather dry camp than be plugged in into a "sketchy" RV park or any RV park as they are mostly parking lots.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

Or a Public one. (State, Federal, County, City) The only fulltimers you'll likely encounter in those will be Camp Hosts.

Especially this time of year, Highway 101 can be traversed its entire length with all overnights spent in a Public park.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine any CG's along 101 in Oregon having really bad clientele. There's a 14 day limit in St parks in Oregon. And most every CG on 101 is a St park. If the OP is talking about RV parks then that's a different story. There are definitely some shady ones along 101 in Oregon. You're going to get more FT's in an RV park.

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
fireman93514 wrote:
X2, I like to take alook around the area. Sometimes its bad, sometimes you find it at the end of a runway or railroad tracks right behind.

Now see, I would consider this to be a cool spot.

The you'd LOVE the Amarillo KOA. End of runway, next to major rail line, and next to major highway and in sight of IH-40. It's a well-run park and the folks are super nice, but that right there is a hat trick!

BTW, I LOVE the smell of JP-8 in the morning and the "sound of freedom"...
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
fireman93514 wrote:
X2, I like to take alook around the area. Sometimes its bad, sometimes you find it at the end of a runway or railroad tracks right behind.

Now see, I would consider this to be a cool spot.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
We use the Good Sam and Trailer Life directories to choose campgrounds and like KOA's for their relatively consistent quality.

This is the DW's answer, although part of the adventure for me is a little variety. There are a lot of people here that don't like KOA for one reason or another. I think consistency = boring.
Jerry & Jeanne
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
First I plan our stops in a general area. I then look on www.woodalls.com and make a note of a couple and note the town where they are located.
Then I check those out on www.rvparkreviews.com to make the final choice. If it's on Friday or Saturday night, a holiday or a popular tourist area, I make reservations.
I also locate their address on www.googlemaps.com earth view and zoom to check out the entrance and where the sites are located. Works for us.

John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:

This...
Jerry & Jeanne