cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hunting Island State Park Site 157

GUNNERS_MOM
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone ever stayed on this site? I have reservations for this site in a few weeks, however, when I made the reservation, this was one of 3 sites left. I have looked at the site pics and still cannot determine much regarding how rig can be situated on the lot. Was wondering if anyone had actually stayed on or near this site and could offer some insight. It looks like we will fit depending on how/where the hookups are. We are only 21 feet long so I am hoping we are going to be ok. We have stayed at Hunting Island numerous times but I don't seem to be able to recall anything about this particular site.
13 REPLIES 13

the_happiestcam
Explorer
Explorer
You can zoom in here to see all the damage to SC coastal state CG's.
Me ('62), DW ('61), DS ('97), DS ('99), DD ('03)
2003 Yukon XL 2500 8.1L 4.10 axle
2010 Dutchmen 28G-GS

CG's we've been to

bakerkids
Explorer
Explorer
Several news stations, as well as park services, states it won't reopen until sometime in 2017. I hate to hear of the damage there, as it was my favorite park. I was fortunate enough to snag this site last year.

Site and road covered with sand from storm - Copy by C. Baker, on Flickr[/img]
Me '62, DH '59, DS '89, DD '90, DD '92
1 shih tzu
Our photos

GUNNERS_MOM
Explorer
Explorer
Was able to view one video of the entrance road to the campground. 7 trees down on the entrance road alone. Pics of the lagoon show lots of water and debris. Oh well, maybe next time.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Only 1 trip out of a dozen were we able to sit outside on the back loop. The area around 157 is also low and floods in a rain. Most of the back loops do.

Sums it up pretty good. Many campers are almost on the road. My favorite is site 177.

But I do love this campground.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I've been trying to find some status on the park and have found nothing. Sorry it didn't work out this time.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

GUNNERS_MOM
Explorer
Explorer
Oh well, it's looking like I won't have to worry about my rv fitting on this space. With I95 and I26 closed at several places due to the flooding from Hurricane Matthew, I am sure clean up at Hunting Island is a very low priority. Maybe next time. Hope the campground survived and everyone in the area is safe.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We had ocean front ONCE too. The best beach vacation of our lives! It'll happen again, but it's like catching lightning. ๐Ÿ™‚

GUNNERS_MOM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks tragusa, I appreciate all your comments. I agree, the back side is certainly a challenge. I recall one stay back there when we would spray with repellent and make a mad dash to the beach only to repeat the process upon return but as you stated, we never hesitated to return. We were lucky enough to score an ocean front site ONCE in February. It was awesome! So...I will get on 157 one way or another and I am very much looking forward to it.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Just realized that I overlooked that you had been there before. Sorry.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed on 156 and several others close by.

Hunting Island is a tale of two parks...if you camp in the back area, you will be eaten alive by mosquitoes on 99 out of 100 trips. If you stay in the front loops, you'll usually have a nice breeze to keep the bugs reasonable. Good luck finding sites on the front loop. We have twice. It was AMAZING!

Only 1 trip out of a dozen were we able to sit outside on the back loop. The area around 157 is also low and floods in a rain. Most of the back loops do.

With all that bad news, GO ANYWAY! It is an outstanding campground and unique to any others we've been to. Every time we've been, once you get to the beach, the bugs are almost non existent.

We've never been in the winter, but want to try it.

GUNNERS_MOM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I did find this one, but I am still a bit perplexed. I see the electrical but don't seem to be able to find the water hook up. I know I should just be grateful I was able to obtain ANY site with this short notice but I really hope we are not required to park parallel to the road as it appears that will put us expremely close to the road with little space in front of the camper. Not really a fan of being that close to the road. Hope you are able to visit Hunting Island in the future. It really is a treat. Thanks again for your response.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 21ft you should be just fine..
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google search came up with this photo for site 157...

Hunting Island State Park SITE 157

This is probably the same photo you have already seen...

Never have been there but have heard good things about Hunting Island...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS