cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Huntington Beach State Park, Murrells Inlet, SC

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
We are going down there this comming summer. Anyone have any opinions about the place? Thanks in advance.
2010 Keystone Montana 3455SA Quad Slide
4 Goodyear G614's
2017 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 Crew Cab
6.7L Cumminsยฎ Turbo Diesel
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

*I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
14 REPLIES 14

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
wxtoad wrote:
We have stopped at Huntington Beach SP several times on our trips south. We much prefer it to Myrtle Beach SP where the CG is in the dark woods. At Huntington Beach there is a lot more sun, yet with scattered trees if you want to sit in the shade.

Here are some pictures and comments.

Have a great trip!

WxToad

Nice review there on your website. Thank you... We are actually staying in site 3. Not far to pull the toter to the dump station. Looks like there is a pretty good view of the sky for the satellite as well.

Thank everyone for your responses. Greatly appreciated! We can't wait to go. This will be our first trip to the beach camping.
4 Goodyear G614's
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Good state park if you want to be away from the hustle bustle....Never stayed there, but drove through once. No view of the ocean from the sites. You will need to either walk the trail through the woods/brush or drive around to it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
We have stopped at Huntington Beach SP several times on our trips south. We much prefer it to Myrtle Beach SP where the CG is in the dark woods. At Huntington Beach there is a lot more sun, yet with scattered trees if you want to sit in the shade.

Here are some pictures and comments.

Have a great trip!

WxToad
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

Randu
Explorer
Explorer
Visited for the 1st time a few weeks back and will be making it part of my Christmas vacation every year. Many different birds and walking trails. Nice sized sites with some open space to your neighbor. (Not like the large commercial MB parks) Very quiet and peaceful. Take the tour of the Atalaya but spend the $6.00 for the audio tour. The Audio tour really explains what your looking at. Brookgreen Gardens was also cool to do as we hit one of the Nights of a Thousand Candles special events. Randu
2017 Chevy 3500HD SRW Crew LTZ
4x4,Duramax, Allison.
2017 Jayco North Point 381DLQS
Previous: 2000 Travel Supreme
2005 Newmar Kountry Star
2008 Mobile Suites 36TK3

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
pulsar wrote:
Until the campground went with a reservation system, Huntington Beach State Park was our number 1 drop-in location. On the spur of the moment we would say, "Let's go" and off we would go. Now, we get there maybe once a year.

We haven't been there in the summer - fall and spring are our times to go to the coast. Regardless, it's a great place.

Recommendations: Take the time to tour Atalaya, with one of the volunteer guides, if possible. Also, we enjoy walking through Brookgreen Gardens.

Enjoy.

Tom

agree - great park.
also agree about Atalaya and Brookgreen Gardens
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brookgreen Gardens ticket is good for 7 days so go on the first day or two and again later in the week.

Definitely take the Atalaya tour.

If you have bikes, easy to ride up to the entrance and then take the bike path south to come restaurants, grocery store (have to cross 17 though) and ice cream shop. North the trail I believe now goes all the way to Murrells Inlet.

All the waterfront restaurants in Murrells Inlet are expensive but usually have good food. If you haven't been, highly recommend Medieval Times dinner show. We are tired of the show, but still go back on occasion when we can get a discount because the food is just so good.

If you are coming down I26 from the west, grab 301N (or just stay on I26) to I95N to 261 (exit 119) into Manning which drops you onto 521 then over to 17N. This will bring you in from the south and avoid the Myrtle Beach Traffic. Word of caution on the route, after you make the zig in Georgetown, stay in the left lane until you see the bridge as the trees are close to road which leans you into them.

If you like to shop, also make a trip down to Pawleys Island, only a few miles back down. You will see the shops as you drive north on 17.

Have fun and spend lots of money, SC can use it. I return the favor when I visit Cades Cove and my daughter in Knoxville.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We were there a few years ago - thanks for the reminder to schedule a return. Really nice atmosphere, gorgeous beach, impressive old live oak trees.

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed there last year over Christmas.We loved it.It has open and shaded sites.Most are water and electric but they do have some full hookups.It's a short walk to the beach from most sites.They have a great nature center.Make sure you check out the nature walks.Very informative.Murrels Inlet is just up the road and has some very good restaurants.We enjoyed Drunken Jacks.

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Until the campground went with a reservation system, Huntington Beach State Park was our number 1 drop-in location. On the spur of the moment we would say, "Let's go" and off we would go. Now, we get there maybe once a year.

We haven't been there in the summer - fall and spring are our times to go to the coast. Regardless, it's a great place.

Recommendations: Take the time to tour Atalaya, with one of the volunteer guides, if possible. Also, we enjoy walking through Brookgreen Gardens.

Enjoy.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

AdirondackJack
Explorer
Explorer
It's our favorite campground near Myrtle Beach. Spacious sites, nature trails, great beach and wildlife is plentiful. You do need to reserve early. We've posted some pictures of our latest visit at http://snowbirdrvtrails.wordpress.com/2014/05/11/day-7-thru-11-snowbird-rv-trip-florida-to-canada/.
2011 Excel 30RSO, 32', 3 slides, 4-Season 5th Wheel
2011 Ford F-250 XLT Super Duty, 6.2L V8, 385hp

Exploring & writing about life along the Snowbird RV Routes

Tennessee_Nomad
Explorer
Explorer
rv2go wrote:
Great place to camp. Make your reservations as soon a possible.

Made reservations last night:B
4 Goodyear G614's
B & W Companion Hitch
All Made In USA

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wonderful place. Great beach, some good nature trails, marsh walk. Very close to great seafood, golf courses, shopping. We try to go a couple of times a year.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Great place to camp. Make your reservations as soon a possible.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hadn't been there, Huntington Beach State Park, in years (my guess would be '95 or so) but did love it. Hunting Island further down is also very nice. Been there more recently than '95, but not recently. Did stay last year north of Murrells Inlet, but was a condo trip with in-laws and despite the company had a nice time. Pretty country and lots to do. Pawleys Island changed a ton since our last visit, but was still very pleasant and worth the seeing IMHO.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!