cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Huntington Beach State Park, SC, Campground, Been There?

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
Wife and I are thinking about making a short trip to Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina. Anyone been there and can give me your thoughts and opinions?

It appears all the full hook-up sites are reserved. We will be fine for 4 nights on the holding tanks. Any suggestions on loops or sites? How about things to do outside of Myrtle Beach?
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH
13 REPLIES 13

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The new loop is on the south end where there was a loop many years ago. I don't remember which hurricane destroyed it, but at the time they elected not to repair and reopen it. Demand has exploded since then hence the rejuvenation. It will be full hook up according to a park employee during our visit last fall.
Puma 30RKSS

Bill_T
Explorer
Explorer
We were there during the Jan. snow, what an experience. The park has developed a new camping loop, I could be wrong on the numbers, but I think the host said 40 new sites. Scheduled to open this spring.
Real nice campground, many large, shaded sites.
Bill and Debbie
2007.5 SILVERADO HD DA CREWCAB LTZ 4X4 ARE CAP
2003 Nash 25S TT

2012 Lance 855S

1996 Coleman Taos pop-up
1970 jeepster,v-6

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
pld33270 wrote:
I just made reservations for the March 3 - 5th. Surprising that not many sites are available. Should be a good trip to start camping for 2018.

Thanks for your responses.

Snowbirds heading home. The I95 corridor RV parks get really busy during that time. The MB weather is very unpredictable then. Might be 70 and sunny, might be 40 and blowing rain.
Puma 30RKSS

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed there several times on our way south for the winter. Here are some pictures and comments about the park.

Enjoy your trip.

Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

pld33270
Explorer
Explorer
I just made reservations for the March 3 - 5th. Surprising that not many sites are available. Should be a good trip to start camping for 2018.

Thanks for your responses.
Camp with my lovely wife, Rat Terriers and Jack Chi
2022 Rockwood Minilite 2205S
2015 GMC Canyon, crew cab, long bed
2 Honda EU 2000i
Andersen WDH

charming
Explorer
Explorer
We live near there and enjoy spending a few days at the park. Tour Atalaya and take a bike ride across hwy 17 to Brookgreen Gardens. It is an outdoor sculpture garden and more. There are a number of really good seafood restaurants up the road in Murrells Inlet, several with live music most with outdoor seating.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
Huntington is a great place to go. Great beach, marsh walk, or just walk around the property. They have some very nice secluded spots with plenty of shade. These are in the higher numbered spots. HBSP is directly across the street from Brookgreen Garden which as lots to do and see. Plenty of really good seafood just down the road in Muriells inlet. Laid back shopping in Pawleys Island. No real need to go near MB unless you like all that stuff.

While there drive over to MB State Park (not a long drive). We go there a lot too. Has more full hookups.

Double ditto. We like quiet and serene so HBSP is one of our faves. If you go to their website you'll find they list things to do in the area.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
Those werenโ€™t ants... They were noseums in camo.

Seriously? Was there last October and didn't see any. Oh, hang on, that's probably why they're called noseeums? :h

Nice park, sites are a bit close together in spots, nothing new there.
Would go back.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those werenโ€™t ants... They were noseums in camo.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

atodalen
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome campground, but be prepared to go to war with ants. We were inundated with ants while visiting there a year ago. Wife went crazy for a few days after we left. Took quite a while to eliminate them all from the motor home.
Happy trails
Al and Deedee
Spokane, WA
2008 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
F53 chassis w/ JMcKinley CHF and Brazel's UltraTrac rear trac bar
2006 Honda CR-V, Blue Ox Aventa LX, RoadMaster Even Brake

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
One of the best state park camp grounds we stayed in. We were there about 4 years ago and paid $18 a night for W&E. I believe we were in site 127. Very wooded and isolated which we prefer. About a 5 minute walk to the beach. They have a great nature program and nice camp store. Make sure you visit Atalaya, the former home of the Huntingtons. it's within walking distance of the campground. Right up the road is Murrel's Inlet and some good restaurants like Druken Jacks.

https://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/sc/huntington-beach-state-park/photos/huntington-state-par...

jim1632
Explorer
Explorer
HB is a great park to be near but not within the MB congestion. I agree entirely with the comments of the previous poster. Another plus - HB originated as the home of a very wealthy New York couple. The remains of the home can be toured for a small entry fee. The home is in a Spanish style that is an interesting example of an upscale early 20th century home. Too bad it has not survived in its original glory.

Brookgreen Gardens has a lot of art displays, some of which was produced by the wife of the HB owners. You can also take a boat ride showing original rice fields as the Gardens were created from three former rice plantations. Extensive information about the culture of the slaves used to operate the plantations also exists. On one visit my wife and a couple of friends spent two days touring in the Gardens.

HB Park is devoted more to serenity and art. The MB Park is more a regular beach park. It is located very close to the ocean and at the south end of the MB beachside road. One problem is that the airport is nearby so there is jet noise. Offsetting that is a fishing pier that was free when we visited about 10 years ago. I would take a family to MB Park because it is near to more attractions; for a couple HB is definitely a better choice.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huntington is a great place to go. Great beach, marsh walk, or just walk around the property. They have some very nice secluded spots with plenty of shade. These are in the higher numbered spots. HBSP is directly across the street from Brookgreen Garden which as lots to do and see. Plenty of really good seafood just down the road in Muriells inlet. Laid back shopping in Pawleys Island. No real need to go near MB unless you like all that stuff.

While there drive over to MB State Park (not a long drive). We go there a lot too. Has more full hookups.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT