cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hurricane Florence

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
For those planning on camping on the southeast US coast this weekend - just DON'T. Stay home. If you live on the southeast coast you most likely have already received evacuation orders. This storm is a big one. Don't wait, evacuate.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
15 REPLIES 15

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
As long as the eye remains over warm water it will decay slowly. Once over land it will decay rapidly & become a huge rain maker as it rapidly becomes nothing more than a depression. As a cat 2 storm the coast N & E of center will get serious licks from onshore winds. Coast S & W Of center will get offshore winds. What you get depends on where you are in relation to the eye.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK here is a link to this evenings Tropical Tidbit. These are posted once a day when there are storms out there by some fellow known as Levi. He gives a clear high level video discussion, about 15 minutes long or so describing why these storms do what they do. For instance he tells you why Florence will probably stall off the coast.

I urge that you subscribe to this if you live anywhere near the SE coastline. He spends the first 10 or 11 minutes on Florence in this edition and the last few minutes on the other 3 storms plus that disturbance off Texas.

Florence is a killer storm and people who stay behind who are close to the shore line are fools. This could be the Carolina's Andrew event. A storm so terrible that it led to the complete re-writing of the building code in Florida. Something that the Carolina's ignored.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
magnusfide wrote:
Looks like there's a new track across the southeast US after it makes landfall. It will head more westerly instead of bankshots up the coast.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/032641.shtml?cone

And that's a conservative estimate, quite a few of the models are now saying it parks over Wilmington area just offshore for a 24-36 hours and then slowly moves down the coast making landfall near Savannah. If that happens then flooding will be truly unprecedented.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like there's a new track across the southeast US after it makes landfall. It will head more westerly instead of bankshots up the coast.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/032641.shtml?cone
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
magnusfide wrote:
Prayers for our first responders in the path too.

X2
And that is why people SHOULD evacuate.

We have all seen the horrific TV footage over and over and over again of ER responders putting thier lives in danger dragging people/families out of their homes and rushing waters, etc. It still eludes me WHY people stay and put their families AND the emergency rescue people in such life threatening danger. Especially when they are given such 'advance notice'. ๐Ÿ˜ž

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
drmopar wrote:
Thanks for your service!

You're very welcome!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Prayers for our first responders in the path too.

Magnus

drmopar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your service!

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Reader1 wrote:
I understand that some may make the decisions not to leave even though there is a mandatory evacuation order and I guess that is your choice. I am watching a show about the firefighters who gave their lives on 9/11. My son-in-law is a firefighter and EMT. I don't know if first-respnders must stay during mandatory evacuations but if they do please think about those who will be putting their lives on the line for you if you do decide to stay.

They stay but hunker down until the worst is over so they can then respond to emergencies quickly. They don't risk their lives in the worst of the storm for people who ignored the evacuation order. That would be insane. As a retired Deputy Sheriff I can tell you that in my neck of the woods, there would sometimes be snow storms so bad that the roadways would be impassable with several feet of snow on the roads and there would be no visibility. We would have to wait it out until the weather improved and plows could clear the roads so we could respond. You're of no help if you crash or worse yet, die, trying to get somewhere to help someone that didn't heed the warnings and subsequent order.

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
I understand that some may make the decisions not to leave even though there is a mandatory evacuation order and I guess that is your choice. I am watching a show about the firefighters who gave their lives on 9/11. My son-in-law is a firefighter and EMT. I don't know if first-respnders must stay during mandatory evacuations but if they do please think about those who will be putting their lives on the line for you if you do decide to stay.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
70mph sustained winds and over a foot of rain expected as far inland as Winston-Salem where my buddy lives.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
All very good advice, but if folks aren't heeding the warnings of the weather forecasters, news media and government officials, I doubt they will heed the advice posted on an RV forum.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I posted this yesterday...Hurricane Florence is going to set all kinds of records for amount of damage and flooding well inland...stalling over the Carolinas with a forecast of 3-4 feet of rain. You need to evacuate now and go as far west as Tennessee or south to southern Georgia or even northern Florida to get out of the flooding areas. Unlike most storms that eventually wander north this one may go south first.

Today...If you live in the eastern Carolinas and have a RV, load it up with whatโ€™s important to you and get out NOW as conditions in your area are going to be really bad for weeks to come.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
magnusfide wrote:
For those planning on camping on the southeast US coast this weekend - just DON'T. Stay home. If you live on the southeast coast you most likely have already received evacuation orders. This storm is a big one. Don't wait, evacuate.

You mean the Carolina-Virginia coast don't you?! That isn't the SE coast which is FL, MS, and AL usually. There is a slight chance the TX-MEX border coast could see a tropical storm but odds at this time are against it.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper