cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I can't figure out how to use Recreation.gov

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to reserve in a CoE park...the reservation site is recreation.gov...the first step is 'enter dates'...but when I click on an 'arrival' date, nothing happens except that date turns from light to dark blue....and the 'select checkout date' doesn't work but rather you just get the red 'function not available' symbol when you move the cursor to that option

what am I doing wrong? Is it that the system doesn't allow selection of dates that are already booked? In other reservations systems for Texas state parks, etc.), it allows you to select a date and, if that site is booked for that day, you get a popup 'that site is not available on the date selected' or something
thx
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
14 REPLIES 14

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
they actually had the sites numbered backwards, their maps really sucked with sites in the wrong place, roads were in the wrong places, no site photos where there was before

That data is all supplied by the campground. The website vendor does not get paid to update or verify the data.

When Reserve America lost the bid, they refused to return to the government years of data they had received on campgrounds - maps, site numbering, pictures, site amenities, etc.

The contract for Recreation.gov is a US Department of Agriculture contract for National Forests campgrounds. Other agencies like the Department of Interior National Parks and the Department of Defense Corps of Engineers are able to use Recreation.gov on a courtesy basis.

Those agencies were very upset that what they considered their data was not transferred to the new contractor.

Also most agency campgrounds, even USFS, did not have copies of what had been submitted in the past to Reserve America. A manpower extensive and expensive task to recreate all that data.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ever since the new contract was given, the site sucks, when they took over, at one of our favorite CG's in Va., they actually had the sites numbered backwards, their maps really sucked with sites in the wrong place, roads were in the wrong places, no site photos where there was before.
in their defense, they have gotten slightly better, not really good, but better.
Trouble with govt. & their contractor sites, they are built, without asking the end user what they need it to do, in this case, probably by someone who has never camped a day in their lives, or tried to make a reservation.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
agesilaus wrote:
But the site is built by the low bidder.

Are you sure? Usually consultant work is qualifications based. Only after selection, do they negotiate price.

The issue is the proposals are based on what is asked for in the RFP...if the RFP is poorly written and doesn't reward a user friendly system, the proposals won't prioritize a user friendly system (and it's not as simple as saying build a user friendly system)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
As for selecting dates, once you press the arrival date and the button-like thing seems to change to "select check-out date", just click on the check-out date and the range will be highlighted and you can click "apply".

It is not the most intuitive user interface.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago when the contract changed, this forum was full of cheers to see the hated, dreaded Reserve America gone.

I have occasional frustrations with the new site, because I still use Reserve America for state parks, and another older website for a membership campground that was old and outdated when I retired from the IT world in 2009.

Like anything, it just takes a little practice.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
....Itโ€™s a government run website, reason it is not user friendly; wish that government websites were more navigable such as Amazon, Apple, etc....

I never have trouble.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I must be doing something wrong. Recreation.gov is easy for the COE we usually go to. I google the COE name and click on the link to that park. The opening screen has a link to "Continue to booking". Click on that and the next screen brings up clickys to select "Equipment type". Then "More filters". There I can select water, sewer, and 50 amp electric. Then click "Apply" and then click on "Availability grid" and it shows on a calendar all the available sites and the days they are available with an "A". Select an available site for dates you want and book. Pretty darn simple.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
..Itโ€™s a government run website, reason it is not user friendly; wish that government websites were more navigable such as Amazon, Apple, etc....

Actually it is a contractor not directly the government but yes it stinks and has no competition. About two contract cycles ago, maybe 4 or 5 years ago the site was not great but was easier to figure out. Then that company lost the bid and the Dept. of Interior stupidly allowed them to pack up and take all their data and code with them leaving the winners with nothing. And it has been worse ever since.

But the site is built by the low bidder, remember an elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
#1Flyboy wrote:
....Itโ€™s a government run website, reason it is not user friendly; wish that government websites were more navigable such as Amazon, Apple, etc....

Actually a lot of large corporate websites are pretty bad.

It's much easier for an individual campground to set up a website. They might have half a dozen pages with one being reservations. Reservations are simple as they only have to consider the options for one park with one owner.

But I do agree, rescreation.gov is pretty bad and it's likely because there is no link between customer satisfaction and profits. If a company gets the contract to update the site and they meet the specifications put out...the govt can't complain. In fact, they are obliged to give them a good review which sets them up to win more work.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
I will add that we have used it several times, most recently to book 5 days at Sugar Bottom campground on the Iowa River at Iowa City, IA. I knew they had some full hookup sites, and since we were staying longer than a weekend, thought that would be great. But the FU loop shows water/elec, and ONLY after you dive way down into the details of the campsite, does "amenities' show that it does have a sewer hookup. Point is, not always easy to find the "amenities" you want. It can say FU, but only show water/elec. Kind of strange to me. On a positive note, at that campground, just so happens google maps has a full drive thru of every loop....so I could see in a recent pic that indeed, the site we picked has sewer.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glenn or Toni,

That website leaves A LOT to be desired regarding using it for campsite research and reservations!

I've been around computers and the Internet for around 30 years and I have seen a lot of poor, non-intuitive, and not-user-group-input designed computer screen layouts and websites.

In my opinion ... that Recreation.gov website is one of the worst. Sure, I have learned how to get around on it - but it took WAY TOO MUCH EFFORT to figure out ... and even after finally knowing how to use it ... it's still very frustrating and "klunky" to use!!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
The dates you enter on the calendar don't do much, as mentioned above you have to find the A's on their availablity calendar and find a site with the range of dates that you want and select it. Generally Friday and Saturday are very tough to reserve since the locals come out and lock up those weekend dates.
We are at Potter Creek COE in Texas righgt now and I had to settle for one night in one campsite and then move to another for Monday to Friday (departure)
We stayed at about 15 COE camps over the last year or so.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
After clicking on a date with an "A" (available) as your arrival date click on your departure date. That should allow you to continue to next step.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand