Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need help picking a location..

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All,

We are very much last minute vacation planners. We say we are going to plan, we blink and it's 3 weeks until our week long vacation. We do it every year. We always find somewhere to go and even if a particular campground is booked we find something in the area. So here we are again. We live in SE PA and have a week of time planned in 3 weeks and this year for whatever reason we cant decide on location. There are plenty of location specific threads and they are helpful, but for this one I am just looking for your opinions on what you would do.

First, there are 5 of us. My wife and I and our 3 kids. 11yr twin girls and a 2 1/2 Boy. We would like to stay within 10-12 hours from home. Over the past few years we have been to Acadia ME, Martha's Vineyard, Cape Cod, Lake George, Lake Placid, Fort Wilderness, and all over PA and MD area. for our weekend trips we prefer state park type places and spend many weekends in the PA mountains, but with hookups. However we don't mind, and sometimes look for the RV parks for longer trips so the kids have the pool etc etc. but I hate the super tight campgrounds. I need at least a little space. We have been kicking around the smoky mtn park area in TN so we can hike, bike, fish, but also go into town and possibly Dollywood. Thoughts on this? If you like this idea, suggestions on campgrounds and things to do with the kids?
Another option I have been looking at (totally opposite I know) is OBX. Never been there and found a few sites available. Problem here is it is just beach and I wonder if the kids will get bored?? Also, we have other short beach vacations planned in NJ. Not against but pro's and cons?

Where else should I be looking. We love beautiful scenery but again want hookups and things for the kids to enjoy. I appreciate everyones help!
22 REPLIES 22

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
We visited the Smokies 2 summers ago, camped at Smoky Bear CG and really enjoyed it. Nice pool, and you're close to all the attractions and scenery. The owners help you out at check-in with a basic tourist guide, which is great because there were things on the list we were unaware of, so we checked a few out.

Not quite as far is the Mount Rogers area of Virginia. Maybe look into it, it seems amazing too. We have Hungry Mother SP booked in early July and I'm excited to go there...plenty of scenery, a swimming beach, good hiking, and a nice bike trail nearby.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Loved Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. Dollywood and Splash Country are fantastic. They aren't "epic" parks on the scale of Disney but that makes them so much better. Yes, it is touristy and can get expensive but it's a blast. There's plenty to do and lots of fun to be had. Love Smoky Mountain as well-the whole area is just beautiful.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of activities to do in the Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area for both you and the kids. Dinner shows and the Nat'l park are really minutes apart. Granted, we are very busy here and traffic is heavy yes. Campgrounds are plentiful and full hookups are the norm. In the park you have Newfound Gap and Climgmans dome with an observation tower for spectacular views and Cades Cove too.The park has waterfalls to hike to and the Little Pigeon river to get your toes wet in.

The outlying area has the Biltmore estate that is an hour away. Maggie Valley has the Wheels through time museum and Cherokee has the museum of the Cherokee Indian. Both good day trips.

While it may not be some people's cup of tea and call it too 'touristy' it really would keep you and you children entertained. Dollywood is a wonderful park and there is Splash Country water park right next to Dollywood. They just opened the Pirate Adventure show and the Stampede is a great family dinner show too.

We are transplants to this area and we love it here, but we live 20 miles outside the hustle and crazy of the city. Look into it, there is so much to do it is overwhelming.

trsky
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Ohio Pyle state park south of Pittsburgh. Lots to do. Great bike paths, hiking swimming, rafting...
KZ Spree 265KS
2007 Suburban 1500 4x4

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Pipestem State Park WV, Niagara Falls, Cedar Point Amusement Park Ohio,
Raystown Lake area in PA,Deep Creek lake Area in MD, Kerr Lake NC/VA border,
Philpott Lake Virginia,Stone Mountain Park,GA, Hilton Head,SC
Williamsburg,VA
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

kfp673
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rustycamperpants wrote:
Cape May New Jersey. Best vacation we have taken. We have three kids and no boredom issues. Lots to do.

Thanks for the idea, however I should have noted my extended family has a house in Ocean City NJ (20 minutes north of Cape May) so we are in that area 3 or 4 times per year. Love Cape May and Ocean City but looking for something different. Thanks though and great idea!

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
Cape May New Jersey. Best vacation we have taken. We have three kids and no boredom issues. Lots to do.
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Caught between the girls wanting to ride away out of sight on their bikes, and the need to keep your son really close. That's a tough one indeed. Open sites are better perhaps.. not sure what options you have, but having the girls in eyesight almost all the time is better than them going out of the site to explore on their own.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel