cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ideas for Carrying and xfer of water to fresh tank

rx2tee
Explorer
Explorer
I have always just used 5 or 6 gallon plastic jugs to carry water from a campground potable water source and then poured it into the fresh water tank using a funnel and adapter made with pvc pipe and a 45 deg coupling.

I have a 30 gallon plastic barrel and I was thinking of filling it and hauling it back to camp. Anyone use an electric pump for filling their r v fresh water tank? I am dealing now with Rheumatoid Arthritis and lifting the water jugs isn't that easy anymore. (I know, more trips less water at a time in the jug.)
2002 4x4 f-250 LB 7.3 Powerstroke
6-spd manual 3.73 axle
Gemtop
Rhinoliner
Pullrite hch, Prodigy Bk. Ctl.
Jayco 25RKS
Randy & Colleen
51 REPLIES 51

fly-boy
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 12volt pump, cut the wires and spliced in a 7 way trailer plug. Then I bought a 50 gallon ag drum from Tractor Supply and the system has worked great for years. Hook the drum to the pump and the pump to the trailer. Plug in the pump and you are moving water!
C
2016 Chevy LTZ
2009 WW HKD
A few toys...

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
you could use the pump in the MH just put in a couple of T's and valves.

BrianinMichigan
Explorer
Explorer
Bilge pumpThis is similar to what I use for mine. I can only put water in through the hose spigot. I set up a quick disconnect for the 12volts. I just drop the pump into the bucket hook up the short hose and takes a couple of minutes per bucket load.
Even though it's a clean setup. we always have a separate 5 gallon jug for drinking water.
1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I built a little cart that hauls two 5 gal coleman jugs, saves me from carrying the 80lbs of water. I use something called a Cobalt Maxijet Powerhead to move water from the jugs to the rv holding tank.

Cobalt MJ1200

Sadly, it needs 110 volts, but it is much faster than any comparably priced DC pump I could find. 3/4" intake and 1/2" outlet sizes, you can use it inline or just dunk it down to the bottom of your water container. It is fully sealed, the electrical parts are actually coated with thick epoxy, the whole thing can go under water.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
If I had a truck bd available, I would go to a farm supply place and buy a water tank of some size that is manageable to take in and out after trips. And then by gravity feed or a pump (12v if off grid) to move it to the camper. The neat thing about the bladder thing is that you can put it in the bed of the truck, on top of a car, or in the back of an SUV. And then it can be rolled up out of the way.

Luckily our motorhome has a freshwater fill on the side. I will probably just do the jugs for the time being and a cart. Hopefully we will be up on the BRP camping in the near future for our first trip without hookups...lol.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sometimes becomes a pretty good chore keeping up with fresh water and hauling off gray water when camping off the power grid locations. You can see how I capture my sink water in this photo. I drilled holes thru the AQUA-TAINER screw on caps where I can run a short water hose from my sink water drain directly into the container. When it gets full I just move the hose to the empty container.

We can usually find fresh water somewhere going in so will fill up the fresh water tank then on our OFF-ROAD POPUP CAMPER. We hope to spot a bath house of some configuration somewhere close by where we go back in the woods.

I am rigged with the cassette pottie arangement and a 30 gallon fresh water tank. I bring along at least one 5-gallon water container and two of the 7-gallon AQUA-TAINER containeers to capture my sink water.

I have one of those folding two-wheeled totes to move these back and forth to an approved dump place.

It does become become a chore keeping up with what you use however...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
I use a 6 gallon wheeled jug with a wide mouth and an aquarium pump run off of a small PSW inverter. Easy, and works great.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

bradyk
Explorer
Explorer
Do the 5 or 6 jugs and have one of these water pumps for transferring from truck to RV. If you don't have 110v they can be head in 12volt as well.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200352045_200352045

2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Equal-i-zer 10K WDH
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator x 2
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog

wkswenson
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that is the pump I use. Provides enough pressure to fill the water tank. (I also don't have a gravity fill port) This pump also provides me the ability to spray off dirt or whatever if needed as the pressure is great coming out of the end.

I was just unloading the truck from a trip and here is a quick shot of the tank end:

I hook the hose to the lower tank port, then open the gravity feed vent. I can also use the gravity vent to fill the tank if there is a source without a proper hose setup.

I keep the tank in the garage when not in use and try to keep it as dry as possible when not in use. I use a mild bleach solution to sanitize and then rinse if it has not been used in more than a month. We typically only need it 2-3 times per year. Once dry, I keep the caps closed to keep out bugs, etc. I have not had any problems with gunk or bugs in the tank.
Walter & Donna Swenson
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL - Front Living, Trail Air
2011 Dodge RAM 3500 6.7 CTD DRW CC LB
Our Website - "A Work in Progress"

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III

Get Wally World 7 gallon blue jug. Add a hose fitting from Home depot that is pipe thread on one end and hose thread on the other. Screw the fitting into your jug and thread on your water hose. The higher you place the jug the better the flow (if you remember to loosen the vent cap). A small wheeled cart makes hauling the full 7 gallon jug much easier. :C

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
rx2tee wrote:
JnJnKatiebug

I have seen those on top of vehicles. I guess the load is spread so even that the top can handle the 380+ pounds.

Do you ever have trouble finding a hose bib to connect to for filling?
I lot of places don't want hoses connected to the valve.

Thanks for the quick reply. I may just get one.

Is there any issues with care between uses to prevent mold etc?

I used mine at the Bristol Nascar Race. Had to drive down a big hill after filling up and was sure it would roll off but it never moved. I carry a Water Thief so hooking up to a valve with no threads is not a problem. As far as care, after I get home I flush it out with a couple gallons of water with a little bleach added to it. Empty it out as best as I can and roll it up. Never had any problems. I use it when we camp in the NF. There is a small campground about 2 miles away that has potable water. The valve has no threads, I use the water thief and fill up then drive slowly back the 2 miles to camp. I have never had any problems.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
When (not if) my back goes out from time to time, I use my simple water lifting pole. It's about 5 feet long, with a hook on the end, which fits under the handle of the water jug. I put the jug on the ground. The hook fits under the handle. I put my foot on the other end of the pole, and I lift the water jug with the hook:

The jug then swings up into place for relatively easy filling. But a pump would be better, if you can spare the electricity. They also make a drill attachment that serves as a water pump -- you could use a cordless drill.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 25 gallon water storage tank in the back of the pickup and use a 12v transfer pump through the hose to the trailer. Takes about 8 minutes to transfer. Then go back to the water filling station and do it again.

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
When I upgraded my original ShurFlo I gave the old one to my friend who often dry camps. Mounted on a board the Shurflo clips on the battery and pumps the water from a Sparklets bottle into the MH. Works for him.

Raymon
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a pump for the same reason plus my MH does not have a gravity fill port for the fresh water tank; the water hose must be under pressure to add water to the tank.

After much research, I purchased my pump from Hydro Point Store. The model is HPUTP390. It is 120VAC. Cost was $56.99 + $7.99 shipping for a total of $64.98. It arrived in just a few days. I tested it and it worked flawlessly.

Hope this helps.

Ray