cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Illinois state park alcohol rules

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
Reserved into an Illinois state park for our summer trip.

I see on the 'rules' page no alcohol allowed in campground, either consuming or possessing.

Texas state parks policy bars consumption or display of alcohol in any 'public area', which is defined as anything outside of a camper's tent or trailer.

Does the Illinois policy mean what it seems to mean? that drinking is barred even within the confines of our own travel trailer?
Thanks
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control
35 REPLIES 35

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
caver wrote:
Mary J is legal in IL now so will they restrict that too? ๐Ÿ™‚

IL law FAQ:
Where can I smoke legally?
It is legal to smoke in oneโ€™s own home and on-site in some cannabis-related businesses.
Use is prohibited in:
Any public place, such as streets or parks
In any motor vehicle
On school grounds, with the exception of medical users
Near someone under the age of 21
Near an on-duty school bus driver, police officer, firefighter or corrections officer
Any person, business or landlord can prohibit use on private property. Illinois colleges and universities are also allowed to ban marijuana use.
Camped in every state

caver
Nomad
Nomad
Mary J is legal in IL now so will they restrict that too? ๐Ÿ™‚

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like Michigan.

Parks in the southern third of the state, near the population centers, tend to restrict or ban alcohol. But with the exception of a couple of parks, the rule is lightly enforced, only invoked when the rangers want to toss the rowdies. So if you are discreet and don't bother your neighbors, it's all good.

However, Michigan decided some time ago to crack down hard on drunk boaters, and banned alcohol at many boat ramps and parking areas. So don't drink at the boat ramps, or you'll find yourself with a hefty ticket, at the very least.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

04fxsts
Explorer
Explorer
I live near Kickapoo state park in Illinois and it is posted no alcohol but not normally enforced if discrete. Another thing you might check would be county parks in Illinois. There is a nice one nearby that does allow alcohol but will toss you out if rowdy. Each county park sets their own rules. Jim.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I lived in Illinois for 30 years including bike riding distance from one of the state parks in question, and I have never heard of this rule being enforced. Fortunately I live out west now and there is endless public land to enjoy.

campinginthewoo
Explorer
Explorer
State parks in illinios that I have been to have no alcohol however I have talked to rangers and park employees and they know that it goes on but don't care about the adults who drink responsively aka quietly and don't cause problems. The signs give them backup to throw out the disrespecting partiers/problem makers. For those who are quiet never had issues. I advoid SP's during the holidays as they are over packed and too much partying goes on. Wecome to our state and hope you enjoy your stay
"Our family is a circle of love and strength.
With every birth and every union, the circle grows. Every joy shared adds more love.
Every crisis faced together makes the circle stronger. "

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Having camped in Shabbona Lake State Park and Rock Cut State Park, I can attest to the fact that if it's not obvious no one will bother you. As said use cups that aren't see through and don't have a wild party and you'll be just fine. The law is to keep out the riffraff. Also the IL state parks budget is nearly nil. So you may not even see a ranger while you're there.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Veebyes wrote:
This is a case of don't ask a question that you really don't want to heat the answer to.

Lots of states, & private CGs, have similar rules. They are there to provide a legal stick to beat rowdy abusers of alcohol with. Generally no CG is going to throw you out for possessing, even consuming alcohol at your site. There may be a few overzealous rangers here & there who are sticklers for every little rule.

Like anything else drink responsibly. Keep it low key. Don't get obnoxious & disturb your neighbours & all will be well.
Not a truer post in this thread. I've gone to many state and private parks with a cooler full of beer which sits on the ground underneath me door side slideout. I've passed electronic signs on the way into private parks that are flashing No Alcohol - Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park in Jacksonville -camper in tow, beer cooler in the bed. I've waved at park rangers from my zero gravity chair with my left hand with a coozie covered beer bottle in my right. There's always a story about getting busted by the rangers in the campground - not really a deterrent for me. Don't be an idiot, and you will be fine.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
trailernovice wrote:
The park we'll be at is Illinois Beach State Park

Looks like allowed in campground prohibited on the beach.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Veebyes wrote:
This is a case of don't ask a question that you really don't want to heat the answer to.

Lots of states, & private CGs, have similar rules. They are there to provide a legal stick to beat rowdy abusers of alcohol with. Generally no CG is going to throw you out for possessing, even consuming alcohol at your site. There may be a few overzealous rangers here & there who are sticklers for every little rule.

Like anything else drink responsibly. Keep it low key. Don't get obnoxious & disturb your neighbours & all will be well.

Looking at the Illinois law it depends on the park and certain areas within those parks. This is likely due to too many wild drunken parties!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

trailernovice
Explorer
Explorer
The park we'll be at is Illinois Beach State Park
Glenn and Toni
2019 Jayco JayFlight SLX8 264 BH
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 3.21 gears
Reese round bar w/d with sway control

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
trailernovice wrote:
I see on the 'rules' page no alcohol allowed in campground, either consuming or possessing.
Seems clear to me. NO, nada, nil, nothing

Forget the loopholes and find another park.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
... in that fair state.
Easy to say when you don't live here.

I have been in about 20 or so of those areas listed on the DNR site. Kankakee and Desplaines are really strict in the hunting areas, with good cause, but are somewhat lax in the campground. Starved Rock will ask to see inside your coolers on the trails. There are people seriously injured or killed every year because they went off trail and fell into a canyon or over the cliff. Usually alcohol is involved. The other places I've been are pretty lax. Worst I ever got was I was asked to take my wine glasses inside the MH.

Would really help to know where OP booked the reservation.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995